• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2016

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, July 16, 2014, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on June 01, 2016, 10:35:39 AM
Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on June 01, 2016, 09:17:48 AM
Verbal Commits says Valpo has offered a scholarship to 6'7" PF Solomon Hainna, currently a JuCo junior.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/solomon-hainna
I think he could be a good addition to the team.  Unfortunately, he has several other offers in the last month.  Hopefully, the chance to play with Peters and play for a chance at an NCAA berth will help.

Hainna has committed to Evansville. Sorry to miss out on him.

oklahomamick

Just doesn't make sense to me.  How do we lose a recruit to Evansville? 
CRUSADERS!!!

humbleopinion

Paul mentions saving a slot for Carter until his final appeal.  Is there a timeline for that?
Beamin' Beacons

Valpo71

Quote from: oklahomamick on June 06, 2016, 10:14:40 PM
Just doesn't make sense to me.  How do we lose a recruit to Evansville? 
How about facilities and conference affiliation?

oklahomamick

Quote from: Valpo71 on June 07, 2016, 08:25:33 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on June 06, 2016, 10:14:40 PMJust doesn't make sense to me.  How do we lose a recruit to Evansville?

Good point, but I would rather consistently win.  Valpo should be regularly getting 3*
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: oklahomamick on June 07, 2016, 08:47:00 AM
Quote from: Valpo71 on June 07, 2016, 08:25:33 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on June 06, 2016, 10:14:40 PMJust doesn't make sense to me.  How do we lose a recruit to Evansville?

Good point, but I would rather consistently win.  Valpo should be regularly getting 3*

I agree.  But another factor might be the timing of our coaching change.  With another good season, this time under Matt, we should always be in the 3* conversation.  Matt just has to prove that he'll run a winning program, and I have no doubt that he will.

Pgmado

Quote from: humbleopinion on June 07, 2016, 05:35:22 AM
Paul mentions saving a slot for Carter until his final appeal.  Is there a timeline for that?

No.

valpo64

Don't recall seeing that J Sarolla was our first recruit for next year...fill us in on his details

covufan

Quote from: valpo64 on June 07, 2016, 03:03:40 PM
Don't recall seeing that J Sarolla was our first recruit for next year...fill us in on his details
He is not our first recruit for next year.  He will be a freshman this fall.  He is the first recruit signed by the new coaching staff.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jaume-sorolla

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/186615

and from page 13 of this thread:

New VU coach Matt Lottich inks first recruit in Spanish big man
Paul Oren Times Correspondent Updated 19 hrs ago

Jaume Sorolla ends up for the Valparaiso men's basketball team, he'll always be known as the first recruit of the Matt Lottich Era.

Valparaiso's freshly installed coach tapped into a familiar concept in signing his first player as Lottich announced the addition of the Spaniard as his first recruit on Friday morning.

Sorolla, a 6-foot-11, 240-pound center, grew up in Spain before playing a year of prep basketball at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, Kansas. Much like many former Valparaiso players, Sorolla has represented his country in FIBA competitions, including the U-16 and U-18 European Championships.

"(Jaume) has a unique skill set that is multi-faceted, very similar to (redshirt freshman) Derrik Smits," Lottich said. "The reality is that the two can eventually play together. They have versatility and they both have skill sets to complement each other. We have the potential to be the biggest, strongest front line in the Horizon League.

Sorolla has been on Valparaiso's radar for some time, and when Lottich took over the program last week in the wake of Bryce Drew's departure to Vanderbilt, the first-year coach stepped up his recruiting efforts.

"I inherited a team with three open scholarships, so there was a sense of urgency to go after some guys that we'd been recruiting," Lottich said.

Chicago native Micah Bradford (Bradley-Bourbonnais) is expected to honor his commitment to Valparaiso, and he'll join Sorolla as members of the Class of 2020. That leaves Lottich with two available scholarships, although one could still go to Keith Carter if the senior point guard can get another year of eligibility. Carter played 39 minutes during his freshman season at St. Louis, and Valparaiso is waiting to hear word from the NCAA on whether or not Carter will be able to play next season.

The Crusaders could also gain an additional scholarship if Alec Peters decides to stay in the NBA Draft. Peters has until May 25 to make his decision and Valparaiso will give him as much as time as he needs to decide on his future.

As for what Lottich is looking for with his remaining scholarships, the first-year coach said he is looking for quality over anything else.

"Ultimately we want talent," Lottich said. "If we can get a team full of talent, we're going to do that. We'll look for talent (right now) over any position or anything like that."

Lottich added on Friday that he expects all of the current players that have eligibility to return to the team next season. This includes potential graduate transfer Jubril Adekoya, and Lottich quickly downplayed internet rumors of his departure last week.

"I haven't heard of anyone wanting to leave," Lottich said. "I've heard a lot of excitement. I've told them I want to start over. I told them you all have to earn your minutes. Now I do have opinions, but I'm excited for a fresh start. They're excited to cement themselves as a great team. If we're good next year, it will all be because of the players. If we're not, it will be because of me."

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on June 07, 2016, 03:03:40 PM

Here are a few highlights:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5y_I-EE5sY
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

Thanks for refreshing my memory.

valpotx

If you play in any of FC Barcelona's youth teams, you have some solid skills to build off of.  They are consistently one of the top European teams each year.  In regards to Middleton, I will be interested to see how it turns out for him.  Darien Walker was very unheralded, and look at how he supplemented our roster over 2 seasons.  Even though he went through a rough stretch during his Senior season, he provided valuable minutes and occasional points. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

And he is going to Northern Illinois??

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

I doubt we're looking for a one year guy at that spot.

M

George Wilborn: UT San Antonio, Valpo and Don Boscoe Prep are finalist for his services per @prepbullseye

valpotx

We need to win that guy's services if Keith doesn't win his appeal.  Can't let that d-bag at Don Bosco Prep win.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Who is george wilborn?   Anyone with info on him?

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on June 12, 2016, 11:37:37 AM
Who is george wilborn?   Anyone with info on him?

Are you talking about George Willborn III from Chicago De La Salle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fNKVGbbS3c

bbtds

Daily Southtown story on George Willborn III

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/sports/ct-sta-boys-basketball-de-la-salle-george-willborn-st-0108-20160107-story.html

Willborn also is an excellent student. He scored a 24 on the ACT and boasts a 3.7 GPA on a 4.0 scale. His ability to shine in the classroom and on the court has attracted a wide range of college suitors, including Tennessee State, George Washington, Furman, Chicago State, Southern Illinois, South Dakota State and others.

While Willborn's preference is to pick a college beyond the Chicago area, he'll sit down with his family before making a final decision.

"It's going to come down to which school puts me in the best position to reach my goals," Willborn said.

bbtds

valpo64

If this is the guy, it sounds like he could be a good fit, including academics, attitude, etc.