• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Vashil Fernandez

Started by classof2014, July 21, 2015, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Vashil will be back this season

Yes
19 (59.4%)
No
13 (40.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on July 30, 2015, 12:54:57 PMI truly hope that Smits takes this as a positive to get better, and compete against a premier defensive player in practice for his FR year.  This obviously helps our team immensely this next season, but it can do wonders for Smits development as well.

[tweet]626890138203914241[/tweet]

Derrik gave this a retweet.  I'll count it a good sign.

wh

Valparaiso star center receives extra year of eligibility

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/30/valparaiso-star-center-receives-extra-year-of-eligibility/

Valparaiso already looked like one of the best mid-major teams in the country heading into next season, and they got better on Thursday.

wh

valpotx

If I was Relvao, I wouldn't be at Valpo in the future.  Most 18-19 year old kids will take this as a slight, not caring that the person coming back is a defensive star.  It is an unfortunate circumstance, but it had to be someone.  He will probably catch on somewhere else this year, and if not this year, he will earn a spot with a bigger program playing a year at JUCO.
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpotx on July 31, 2015, 02:21:14 AM
If I was Relvao, I wouldn't be at Valpo in the future.  Most 18-19 year old kids will take this as a slight, not caring that the person coming back is a defensive star.  It is an unfortunate circumstance, but it had to be someone.  He will probably catch on somewhere else this year, and if not this year, he will earn a spot with a bigger program playing a year at JUCO.
If the team can live up to expectations this year, Valpo may seem like a "bigger program."
Beamin' Beacons

Pathfinder

Relvao is gone. It is worth it for a Sweet 16 appearance. A shot like this--gotta take it. And if successful, better recruits will follow.

classof2014

Quote from: Pathfinder on July 31, 2015, 07:21:03 AM
Relvao is gone. It is worth it for a Sweet 16 appearance. A shot like this--gotta take it. And if successful, better recruits will follow.

Couldn't agree more. You know what Vashil brings to the table on and off the court. He's the best defender in Valparaiso's history and is one of the best defenders in the country.

I am trying to keep my expectations down a bit because I know the higher your expectations are the more you'll be disappointed. Honestly though I can easily see Valpo being a Northern Iowa, Wichita State, Gonzaga, Butler, St. Mary's caliber program next season. Last season they were a good mid-major team, this season they easily could be an elite mid-major program.

78crusader

We should have stuck with Relvao.  I think it is pretty simple – if we offer a kid a scholarship, we should follow through with that commitment. It is just the right thing to do, at least in my opinion.

Paul

vusupporter

Why is the commitment to Vashil any less important than the commitment to Daniel? As I've mentioned before, to punish Vashil by asking him to pay his own way because the NCAA made a mistake originally and then reversed its decision is asinine in my eyes.

To put it another way, if Vashil had just sat out as a normal redshirt his first season and then played the last three years, would there be anybody saying he should not get a scholarship this season? I don't believe so. Well, retroactively, this is exactly the case.

Simply put, the staff was put into a quandary thanks to the NCAA's reversal, and did what they felt was best for the program.

classof2014

Quote from: 78crusader on July 31, 2015, 09:48:31 AM
We should have stuck with Relvao.  I think it is pretty simple – if we offer a kid a scholarship, we should follow through with that commitment. It is just the right thing to do, at least in my opinion.

Paul

Don't we also owe it to Vashil to allow him to play his fourth season?

He's put in 4 years to our program and was allowed to play 3, he was granted a 4th. It sucks for Relvao that he got the short straw but that's how the game is played, unfortunately. We owe more to Vashil than we do Relvao, who's to say Relvao wouldn't have been just another Clay Yeo and leave after a season.

valpopal

Quote from: 78crusader on July 31, 2015, 09:48:31 AM

Paul

If we simply go by what would be "the right thing to do," then the NCAA should have done the right thing, acknowledged their error that caused the problem and allowed an exception in which Relvao is permitted to enroll at VU as an additional scholarship player but only as a redshirt. In that way, Valpo would be able to honor its commitment yet the number of available players for this season remains at 13.

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on July 31, 2015, 10:01:43 AMHe's put in 4 years to our program and was allowed to play 3, he was granted a 4th. It sucks for Relvao that he got the short straw but that's how the game is played, unfortunately. We owe more to Vashil than we do Relvao, who's to say Relvao wouldn't have been just another Clay Yeo and leave after a season.

I figure this has to play into it from a team chemistry angle as well. Players will understand Bryce and VU were put in a bad situation.  But, which is it going to be easier for the team to swallow?  Cutting the new guy, who they've barely met?  Or cutting a key player, surely a key locker room guy, that they all know and love?

You wonder where Relvao is on this as well.  I don't suppose we have any quotes from him?  Maybe he already had thoughts, ideas, inclinations, opportunities elsewhere.  (Maybe not.)

covufan

I'm sure that the coaching staff and AD office looked at many options over the last few months, including helping Vashil find a landing spot for one year (graduate transfer).  Even if Vashil didn't get a fourth year, Relvao was not going to get much playing time this year, which I'm sure factored in the decision.  I'd like to hear more about what happens to Relvao.  I'm hoping he finds a prep school and retains four years - hopefully for Valpo!

I'm sure none of this was easy on Bryce, the coaching staff, and the AD's office.  Now, they can focus on the trip to Canada and 2016 recruiting, eh.

IndyValpo

http://www.wltx.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/02/03/matt-colburn/22782735/

When Bobby Petrino pulled this he caught all kinds of grief and national rebuke. I understand what we did but we really screwed this kid. To lose your ride a week or two before school stinks no matter how you look at it.

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 31, 2015, 11:57:06 AM

When Bobby Petrino pulled this he caught all kinds of grief and national rebuke. I understand what we did but we really screwed this kid. To lose your ride a week or two before school stinks no matter how you look at it.
[/b]

I don't think that's fair or accurate.  Bryce has known about this since late April according to Paul Oren's report.  I'm sure there was a mad scramble to determine what to do next and it is pretty obvious that Daniel would have been part of the discussion as to how to solve the scholarship question. April is not "a week or two before school". I'm sure Bryce et al have put in lots of effort to help resolve Daniel's situation.  For all we know he has agreed that a year in Juco would be best versus riding the pines at Valpo.  Sure it may be a disappointment but so is going from being a focal point of the offense to a spot at the very end of the bench.  Given his limited experience with basketball I suspect he may have readily agreed with the revised plan.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: covufan on July 30, 2015, 01:17:07 PMPaul Oren reports everybody but Relvao on campus, and Relvao wasn't expected anyway because of national team duty

Quote from: agibson on July 30, 2015, 05:14:02 PMSources have indicated that the hope is that Relvao will enroll at a JUCO and then join the Crusaders in the fall of 2016.

These two lines make it seem like we have been stringing the kid along...

vu72

Quote from: vu72 on July 31, 2015, 12:24:13 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on July 31, 2015, 11:57:06 AM

[/b]

I don't think that's fair or accurate.  Bryce has known about this since late April according to Paul Oren's report.  I'm sure there was a mad scramble to determine what to do next and it is pretty obvious that Daniel would have been part of the discussion as to how to solve the scholarship question. April is not "a week or two before school". I'm sure Bryce et al have put in lots of effort to help resolve Daniel's situation.  For all we know he has agreed that a year in Juco would be best versus riding the pines at Valpo.  Sure it may be a disappointment but so is going from being a focal point of the offense to a spot at the very end of the bench.  Given his limited experience with basketball I suspect he may have readily agreed with the revised plan.

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 31, 2015, 12:37:59 PM
Quote from: covufan on July 30, 2015, 01:17:07 PMPaul Oren reports everybody but Relvao on campus, and Relvao wasn't expected anyway because of national team duty

Quote from: agibson on July 30, 2015, 05:14:02 PMSources have indicated that the hope is that Relvao will enroll at a JUCO and then join the Crusaders in the fall of 2016.

These two lines make it seem like we have been stringing the kid along...

Perhaps Paul Oren should chime in on this.  He also has said that he was getting nothing from the people in charge.  Why that was the case is uncertain but more likely then not they were trying to iron out the details of where he will land and didn't want to make an official announcement until that had occurred.  We don't know yet where he will land.  My guess is that we will get something on that very shortly.  Time will tell...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

I think right now there is some confusion as to whether or not Valpo (Drew, etc) can comment on Relvao. Since he is not enrolling here in the fall, it seems that he could now be considered a recruitable athlete again, and Drew/Valpo would not be allowed to speak about him. It's an awkward situation from what I've gathered and I'm not sure that anybody knows the rules. Bryce was very hesitant to talk about Relvao in any capacity, choosing to talk about excitement pertaining to Vashil instead. From what I've gathered just based on body language and tone, the coaches are bummed about not adding Relvao while being very excited about getting Fernandez back. I'd highly doubt that we'll get a release from Valpo concerning where Relvao ends up. His high school coach is Pawel Mrozik, a former Valparaiso director of basketball operations. He's a good guy and someone I've been in contact with. Spoke with him at the Final Four. He was excited for Relvao to go to Valpo. Isn't sure the plan now.

covufan

Great to have Vashil for one more year.  It is also a bummer not to have Relvao in the mix.  With Relvao, it is unknown how good he might have been in a Valpo uniform, especially after a few years development.  I'm hoping that with the team we now have for 2015-16 and the OOC schedule we've seen so far, that we get in a position to get some very good recruits that we might not have been in contention for in the past.  Oh, and we need to keep Bryce!

covufan

Quote from: Pgmado on July 31, 2015, 02:02:17 PM
I think right now there is some confusion as to whether or not Valpo (Drew, etc) can comment on Relvao. Since he is not enrolling here in the fall, it seems that he could now be considered a recruitable athlete again, and Drew/Valpo would not be allowed to speak about him. It's an awkward situation from what I've gathered and I'm not sure that anybody knows the rules. Bryce was very hesitant to talk about Relvao in any capacity, choosing to talk about excitement pertaining to Vashil instead. From what I've gathered just based on body language and tone, the coaches are bummed about not adding Relvao while being very excited about getting Fernandez back. I'd highly doubt that we'll get a release from Valpo concerning where Relvao ends up. His high school coach is Pawel Mrozik, a former Valparaiso director of basketball operations. He's a good guy and someone I've been in contact with. Spoke with him at the Final Four. He was excited for Relvao to go to Valpo. Isn't sure the plan now.
I'm sure that VU can't comment on Relvao.  Verbal Commits still doesn't have anything on him opening up his recruiting, nor does any other recruiting site.  An earlier article http://blogs.post-trib.com/osipoff/2014/10/valparaiso_adds_recruit_daniel.html had him with offers from Rhode Island, Liberty and Montana State.  RI and Montana State do not appear to have scholarships, but Liberty does.  His coach at Mountain Mission School has ties to Valpo and Liberty http://mmshoops.com/coach-mrozik/.  I'm wondering if the possibility that Relvao could spend another year at Mountain Mission, with it counting as a prep school year.  With the silence surrounding him, I'm wondering if he is seeking another year of HS eligibility in VA?  If he were seeking a Juco or a different Division I school, I would have thought we'd hear about by now. 

Good luck to him whatever path he chooses.

a3uge

I wrote a few extended words on Vashil coming back: http://www.valpofanzone.com/2015/08/19/vashil-is-back-and-heres-why-its-really-important/

But here they are:

Vashil is back. This offseason, the NCAA granted Vashil Fernandez a fourth season of eligibility after previously ruling Fernandez had only three years to play D1 basketball. This surprise decision should be sweet music to Crusader fans' ears; I'm going to explain exactly why this ruling is more important than you probably think it is.

He Keeps Improving. He May Be Even Better Next Year.

Before I dig into the impact Vashil had on the floor last year, it's important to look at the trajectory of Vashil these past three seasons. Sitting behind Kevin Van Wijk and Bobby Capobianco, it was hard for Vashil to find minutes in his first year of eligibility. Vashil was fairly raw; he scored almost as many points (30) as fouls committed (29). His offensive rating (points produced per 100 possessions) was only 74.3, by far the worst on the team, and the lowest rating since Cameron Witt's 67.8 in the 2009-2010 season (min of 150 minutes played). Vashil's second season was far more successful. As the season went on, he found playing time in front of 7'0 5th year transfer Moussa Gueye, and drastically improved his offense. Vashil scored four times as many points, improved his free throw percentage from 28.6% to 47.7%, and grabbed five times as many offense rebounds. Vashil's defense improved as well. He created an identity as a rim protector, blocking 1.7 shots per game, and hauled in 5 times as many defensive rebounds. The following season, Vashil improved in nearly every facet of the game, and netted the Crusaders' first Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year award. Looking at some advanced statistics, it's clear to see how dramatically Vashil has improved on both offense and defense since his first season.

YearPERORtgDRtgWS/40

Vashil's 114.0 offensive rating was second to only Alec Peters last season, and his defensive rating was one of the best in Horizon League history (more on that later). His PER (measuring overall effectiveness using a variety of stats) improved to 19.9, only 2nd on the team behind Peters. Overall, his sharp improvement should excite Crusader fans; if he improves even further, the sky is the limit for the Crusaders... or at least, another Sweet 16 run.

His Defense Was Crazy Good Last Year

Vashil's biggest strength is his shot blocking. Last season, Vashil was 3rd in the entire country in block percentage; he blocked 14.1% of all 2pt field goals attempted when he was on the court. The next highest block % in the Horizon was Anton Grady at 5.9%. His 97 blocks (2.9 per game) were the most in the Horizon. The next highest? Greg Mays and Tai Odiase both at 48.

PlayerBlksBlks PGBlks P40BLK%DRtg
Vashil Fernandez972.92.814.188.5
Anton Grady451.41.85.992.0
Greg Mays481.52.15.795.4
Tai Odiase481.73.79.9105.6

This elite shot blocking translated into some impressive defensive numbers. Vashil's 88.5 defensive rating meant that every 100 possessions, opponents would only score 88.5 points on average. This was the best defensive rating by a Horizon League player in at least 6 years (when the stat started being available for college basketball). For comparison, Dante Williams, an Oakland University player who was also named to the Horizon League All Defense team, had a defensive rating of 115.5. Vashil's rebounding also wasn't bad. He was 5th in the league in rebound percentage (best on team), and 7th in rebounds per game (2nd best on team). Overall, these terrific numbers made Vashil a no-brainer for Defensive Player of the Year in the Horizon.

From Huge Question Mark to the Best Frontcourt in the Horizon

Derrik Smits may be one of Valpo's most high profile recruits since Jay Harris (that's not even a joke, Jay Harris was an ESPN Top 100 recruit), but handing over the reins to a freshman may have been a bit of a struggle. Derrik Smits isn't new to basketball like Vashil was when he first came to Valparaiso, but he still needs time to grow into his 7'1 frame. Without Vashil, the Crusaders would have been forced to play much smaller than last year and rely on 6'7 Jubril Adekoya to play significant minutes at the 5. With Vashil back, Bryce Drew can play Jubril more minutes at the 4, giving Valparaiso the flexibility to play with bigger lineups. Derrik Smits has a year to learn and grow while playing against Vashil during practice. Most importantly, the lineup continuity will help the team's chemistry both on and off the court.

Like the 2012-2013 team, the Crusaders have a chance to return pretty much all of their minutes and improve. Last time, Valpo went from a non-tournament team to a tournament team. This time?

valpotx

Wait, if you were to believe everything that Oakland fans say, Dante Williams was robbed of the DPOTY award!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Vale O. Paradise

Bleacher Report named Vashil the eleventh best defensive stopper in the country. Rankings like this are always to be taken lightly, but the inclusion of Vashil in a list of top defenders is certainly warranted and a little spotlight is good, too!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2546180-ranking-the-top-defensive-stoppers-in-college-basketball-in-2015-16/page/11

agibson

Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on August 20, 2015, 10:58:46 AM
Bleacher Report named Vashil the eleventh best defensive stopper in the country. Rankings like this are always to be taken lightly, but the inclusion of Vashil in a list of top defenders is certainly warranted and a little spotlight is good, too!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2546180-ranking-the-top-defensive-stoppers-in-college-basketball-in-2015-16/page/11

Nice!  Even while I'll admit that these pieces would feel somehow more reputable when they come from mainstream outlets, Sportz Bubble and all.  Bleacher Report is effectively crowd sourced?