• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where is Peters next season?

Started by bsmith21, April 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

His quotes indicate to me that he is leaning towards coming back.  I don't care what Tom Davis says, he has absolutely no clue about anything going on at Valpo or with Peters.  If I were Peters, I would be a bit miffed that Bryce and Powell bailed on me when they had promised to help in my preparation for the draft.  It was literally days after the season ended that they bolted, and they wouldn't have been able to do anything for Peters to help him in that process.  I would feel a sense of loyalty to Lottich/Gore and Valpo, especially since I would be putting Valpo in a terrible place by leaving in August of this year.

If Bryce steals Peters, he can no longer claim to be an ethical coach.  You just don't do something like that to a program that made you just as famous as you made it.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2624

Quote from: Just Sayin on May 26, 2016, 05:57:29 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 26, 2016, 05:53:14 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on May 26, 2016, 05:15:40 PMIs it a fact that a student with one more year of athletic eligibility cannot speak to other universities before he has officially been graduated? Is intent to complete a degree during the summer irrelevant? Source? Are other coaches, knowing that a student who is anticipating being graduated but who has one more year of eligibility, prohibited from contacting him before he finishes his coursework? Source?
All good questions.  Bottom line: a graduate xfer cannot xfer unless he has the degree in hand before he does so, no?  Intent to graduate is not the same as graduating.  If he comes up 3 credits shy or flunks a course, doesn't that throw a transfer out the window?  So I am thinking that for all intents and purposes, Alec can talk to anyone and and anyone can talk to him, but unless, and until, he has the degree in hand, no transfer.  Is an analogy similar to a HS senior appropriate?  Except the recruiting process for a potential graduate transfer is for a true one and done.  Just asking justsaying   ;)
Regarding the bolded comments you made, my impression of previous comments is that neither the student nor the other coaches can speak with each other until permission is granted by the Valpo AD, no?

Peters is not a graduate transfer. He is an undergraduate at the moment. He's presumably still under scholarship at Valpo and cannot speak with other programs nor can programs speak with him without a release at this time. Even non scholarship athletes are not permitted to speak to other programs without a release. He must finish his undergraduate degree before he can declare as a graduate transfer candidate. I am not sure of the process which makes that happen at that point.

VU2624

Quote from: covufan on May 27, 2016, 05:18:40 PM
Quote from: Lurker on May 27, 2016, 04:29:05 PMTom Davis of the Fort Wayne Sentinel reporting that "word on the street" is Peters may go to Vandy.  No idea what word on the street means.
That has been the 'word' since Bryce Drew left Valpo.  Nothing new to report. Here is Davis' report: https://twitter.com/Tom101010/status/736305442452709376

The one issue which would make this just as easy as staying at Valpo is that there is no "looking around" for Peters.

chef

Tom Davis either completely made that up, or talked to someone else that made that up. He's not going to Vandy, he's just not. Period, end of subject. I've been on Valpo message boards for nearly 20 years as have a few others on here. Has there ever been a subject, where I've repeatedly mentioned something like this and I've been wrong? If so, call me out on this. I repeat he's not going to Vandy.

Just Sayin

Quote from: chef on May 28, 2016, 01:35:05 AM
Tom Davis either completely made that up, or talked to someone else that made that up. He's not going to Vandy, he's just not. Period, end of subject. I've been on Valpo message boards for nearly 20 years as have a few others on here. Has there ever been a subject, where I've repeatedly mentioned something like this and I've been wrong? If so, call me out on this. I repeat he's not going to Vandy.

I get the sense that you are vacillating on this and aren't quite sure whether Peters will go to Vandy.

chef

valpo64

Another bush league statement from Tom Davis...word on the street is that AP "MAY" transfer from Valpo.  What does that mean? And he MAY NOT.  And to think that statements like that come from a Sports Editor of a paper in a decent size community of about 300,00 people.  Going out and getting facts, or at least trying to do so before commenting, apparently scares this guy.  But he sure can go out and find all the facts he wants to find when it comes to Butler ball.

wh

Quote from: chef on May 28, 2016, 01:35:05 AM

Davis needs to stick to Ft. Wayne sports and using his sports editor position to give Ft. Wayne residents a regular caster oil dose of his alma mater's basketball program 125 miles away.

Bootlicking the Butler AD:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I24WT1tx6gM

VULB#62

[tweet]736316830927687680[/tweet]

agibson

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 27, 2016, 03:08:12 PMwith Peters, Valpo should comfortably cruise to the NCAAs. 

Alas, Joe Louis Arena has said a lot about how comfortably anyone can cruise to the NCAAs in the Horizon League.

valpotx

I'll trust Chef over Tom Davis any day.  I have to think that it would be hard for Peters to play for anyone except Valpo or Bryce.  I just can't see a new coach promising to develop Peters over 1 year, and still giving him the touches he craves.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Many schools are talking Peters right now.  It doesn't mean anything.  It is going to be a long summer, since we have another month of him in classes, and I doubt he says anything before that time either way.
"Don't mess with Texas"

atkins

Alec is maturely taking his time to ensure he makes the right decision.  He continues to be an active part of the Valpo program.  If he finds the perfect school to showcase his skills, he will leave; otherwise, he will not.  His interview statements in the Peoria paper make that clear. 

In writing that, I just had a jarring flashback (to this past March) when another hot Valpo commodity made a similar remark.   ???

If Alec were an almost-complete player, requiring only minor tweaks, I would encourage him to leave to showcase his skills at a higher level; however, he is not yet that player.  Working on athleticism (i.e., creating your own shot) is a huge issue that requires a lot of time and effort.  Unless he transfers to a mediocre Power 5 school, he won't have the freedom to focus on the weakest part of his game.

VULB#62

Quote from: atkins on May 28, 2016, 01:38:32 PM
Alec is maturely taking his time to ensure he makes the right decision.  He continues to be an active part of the Valpo program.  If he finds the perfect school to showcase his skills, he will leave; otherwise, he will not.  His interview statements in the Peoria paper make that clear. 

In writing that, I just had a jarring flashback (to this past March) when another hot Valpo commodity made a similar remark.   ???

If Alec were an almost-complete player, requiring only minor tweaks, I would encourage him to leave to showcase his skills at a higher level; however, he is not yet that player.  Working on athleticism (i.e., creating your own shot) is a huge issue that requires a lot of time and effort.  Unless he transfers to a mediocre Power 5 school, he won't have the freedom to focus on the weakest part of his game.

.....he would have been invited to the combine and mentioned on a lot of mock drafts. Alec has learned, through his workouts, that there is a pretty definitive task list of skills and moves that he must develop/improve to get to the next level. He knows that. He realizes he needs intense focus/intense support/30+ m/p/g to hone them and make a powerful season-long statement. Where else would he find that perfect set of conditions?

BTW, I fully concur on his mature approach.

usc4valpo

Any information coming out of Fort Wayne should be taken with a grain of salt. Heck, the IPFW poll had Ted Cruz up 15% over Trump in the Indiana primary, and we know how that went.

crusader05

Per Paul Oren: Peters confirms he's returning to  Valpo next season! Look at Paul's twitter for quotes from Peters!

ValpoHoops

Per Paul Oren, Alec will be back to Valpo next season.

M

This day keeps getting better!

NativeCheesehead

*Ahem* Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Valpo89

valpospartan

chef

I stand by the statement, there's no chance he's going to Vandy. ;)

valpotx

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss :).  Break those records Alec!  It only made sense based on all the facts involved, but it is great to see that he agrees that it is best for him as well.  He will be able to develop those areas much more against some solid competition with a few patsies, but still a few elite schools on the schedule.  It would have been much harder for him to develop those skills in real-time games against constant elite programs. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 28, 2016, 03:47:18 PM
Quote from: atkins on May 28, 2016, 01:38:32 PM

.....he would have been invited to the combine and mentioned on a lot of mock drafts. Alec has learned, through his workouts, that there is a pretty definitive task list of skills and moves that he must develop/improve to get to the next level. He knows that. He realizes he needs intense focus/intense support/30+ m/p/g to hone them and make a powerful season-long statement. Where else would he find that perfect set of conditions?

BTW, I fully concur on his mature approach.

Told ya so!!!!   :dance: