• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #29- Milwaukee Tuesday February 21 7pm ARC ESPN3

Started by talksalot, February 19, 2017, 09:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoHoops

Quote from: a3uge on February 22, 2017, 04:38:33 PM
So does a win ensure a NIT bid?

No. Being the #1 seed in the conference tournament does.

If we were to split our games and Oakland wins out, they would be the #1 seed based on sweeping the season series.

SanityLost17

I agree that the performance last night was lackluster.  However, it was senior night and the Jubril thing is still fresh.  Doesn't mean we can't turn it around on this next road trip. 

The next two weeks will say a lot about just how good of a coach Lottich is.  Can he get this team past the emotional trauma and make the necessary game adjustments to deal with the likes of Oakland/Green Bay/Wright State/NKU? 

Some thoughts on last nights game.   We are a completely different team when Tevonn is able to knock down his mid-range jumper and drive aggressively to the basket.  The problem is he has been really inconsistent.  He showed flashes last night of still being able to finish through contact and pull up for the quick 17 footer.   Hopefully that trend continues.  I think his biggest problem is that he plays best angry and borderline out of control, which gets him into foul trouble.  We need Tevonn to find his happy medium of agression.   We pretty much know what we are going to get from everyone else.  He is our X factor and our end of the year success will largely fall on his shoulders.   

VUOR63

I predict:
Valpo beats Wright State.
Oakland Loses to Green Bay.
Jason Karys starts at point guard against Northern Kentucky.

Pgmado

A Valpo win and Oakland loss on Friday wraps up the No. 1 seed and NIT bid for the Crusaders.

A Valpo loss and Oakland win on Friday gives Oakland the inside track for No. 1 seed and NIT bid. Valpo would need to win on Sunday and have Oakland lose to Milwaukee to finish No. 1.

A Valpo loss and Oakland loss on Friday does nothing but delay the final outcome to Sunday and it brings Green Bay closer.

bbtds

I think if the refs had not let as much contact go and called more fouls ( I really don't understand how Derrik was able to foul out on ticky-tack fouls) Valpo could have gone to the FT line a lot more than Milwaukee, which is not unusual for the home team, and spread the lead out more and won the game more easily. The FT difference was Valpo 12, Milw 9. That is not the usual difference for the home team. What the refs let go was awful at some points along with the 9/10? minute section with no stoppage in play. It was at the 11:26 mark in the 1st half that the third foul of the game was called.

VUfan

Quote from: wh on February 22, 2017, 04:38:40 PM
Quote from: frontrowfan on February 22, 2017, 01:30:11 PM
Totally disagree.  Just because you are over it doesn't mean that those guys are.  I say wear it until the season is over. 

Anyone with a pair of eyes can see they're not "wearing it" well.  Last night's win was another lackluster performance, at best. When the end of this year's story is written, it is not going to be about what happened to Jubril, or how bad the players felt, or how many "23's" they wore. Those are just events along the way. The "story" will either be about the adversity the team dealt with and overcame to reach their goals --or-- how they allowed adversity to destroy everything they had worked for. Right now, I see a team that's staggering to the finishing line at the very moment we need to be playing our best basketball of the year.           

Thank you my point! few teams have gotten this far lets finish the job!  Make this a special year.....

VULB#62

Totally disagree.  Just because you are over it doesn't mean that those guys are.  I say wear it until the season is over. 

Anyone with a pair of eyes can see they're not "wearing it" well.  Last night's win was another lackluster performance, at best. When the end of this year's story is written, it is not going to be about what happened to Jubril, or how bad the players felt, or how many "23's" they wore. Those are just events along the way. The "story" will either be about the adversity the team dealt with and overcame to reach their goals --or-- how they allowed adversity to destroy everything they had worked for. Right now, I see a team that's staggering to the finishing line at the very moment we need to be playing our best basketball of the year.         

Different people deal with adversity in different ways. The immediate confusion and disappointment of the NCAA ruling has, by now, dissipated.  The members of the team are now faced with three choices (two of which push them in a positive direction and can give them the energy they need to move past this -- either one works):

1)  Use this as a rallying point, keep it in the forefront of everything they do, don't lose sight of the situation -- essentially play with a big chip on their shoulders the rest of the way and don't take s%$# from anyone.  Play mean and punish our opponents for the NCAA's decision -  why? cuz we can't get at the suits at the NCAA.
2)  Erase the past two weeks (actually the whole JA suspension) from everyone's memory banks and take care of business the way they know they are capable of.  Put it out of mind and get back to fundamentals and come closer together as a team -- (cliche' time -- do your job!).
3)  Come to the conclusion "oh, woe is us."  Give into the temptation that says we've been screwed over so why continue to bang our heads against a wall that we can't break through.  Go through the motions and  play listlessly.

I sense that #3 was the immediate, short-term reaction -- more like a fog of disbelief. I hope that the players use these next couple of days before they travel to WSU and NKU (and into MCM) to snap out of it, decide to not lay down and feel sorry for themselves and go either with #1 (just my way of dealing with stuff like this, so I like this one) or #2.

vusupporter

vu72

Really fantastic speech by Alec.  Very proud to be a fellow member of the Alumni.  He has a VERY bright future.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on February 22, 2017, 05:59:07 PM
Really fantastic speak by Alec.  Very proud to be a fellow member of the Alumni.  He has a VERY bright future.

Todd commented on the post game that Alecs' was the best senior night speech he's heard in his 25 years. Pretty high praise.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 22, 2017, 05:12:24 PM

Different people deal with adversity in different ways. The immediate confusion and disappointment of the NCAA ruling has, by now, dissipated.  The members of the team are now faced with three choices (two of which push them in a positive direction and can give them the energy they need to move past this -- either one works):

1)  Use this as a rallying point, keep it in the forefront of everything they do, don't lose sight of the situation -- essentially play with a big chip on their shoulders the rest of the way and don't take s%$# from anyone.  Play mean and punish our opponents for the NCAA's decision -  why? cuz we can't get at the suits at the NCAA.
2)  Erase the past two weeks (actually the whole JA suspension) from everyone's memory banks and take care of business the way they know they are capable of.  Put it out of mind and get back to fundamentals and come closer together as a team -- (cliche' time -- do your job!).
3)  Come to the conclusion "oh, woe is us."  Give into the temptation that says we've been screwed over so why continue to bang our heads against a wall that we can't break through.  Go through the motions and  play listlessly.

I sense that #3 was the immediate, short-term reaction -- more like a fog of disbelief. I hope that the players use these next couple of days before they travel to WSU and NKU (and into MCM) to snap out of it, decide to not lay down and feel sorry for themselves and go either with #1 (just my way of dealing with stuff like this, so I like this one) or #2.

Agreed with #3 being the short term, and the mark of a good team is short term memory loss!!  Oakland just has our number, like Wright State last year.  Going to have those type of battles...it's dang hard to beat a good team 3x in the same season.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on February 22, 2017, 05:00:50 PM
I think if the refs had not let as much contact go and called more fouls ( I really don't understand how Derrik was able to foul out on ticky-tack fouls) Valpo could have gone to the FT line a lot more than Milwaukee, which is not unusual for the home team, and spread the lead out more and won the game more easily. The FT difference was Valpo 12, Milw 9. That is not the usual difference for the home team. What the refs let go was awful at some points along with the 9/10? minute section with no stoppage in play. It was at the 11:26 mark in the 1st half that the third foul of the game was called.

Derrick has great potential and has streaked that during this season.  He's going to get his legs and brain to match up some games...just didn't tonight because he truly deserved to foul out.

We led the nation for a chunk of this year because Alec was getting calls against him as well as Shane.  In games where we aren't leading the FT battle we have had trouble....period.  Those games have had rebound lapses too.  My observation is that aggression gets both of those categories humming.