• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Motor City Madness ... What a joke

Started by Valpo89, February 17, 2017, 01:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jloose128

Imagine if Cleveland State goes ahead and fires Gary Waters, that'd make Kampe the longest tentured Horizon League head coach....

yayphoenixyay

I honestly think if Waters stays, the Vikings could be a contender for a 5-6 seed next year. Lots of experience on the team and Rob Edwards is pretty good.

yayphoenixyay

In total opposition to my last post, per NBC Sports, Gary Waters is OUT at CSU.

VUOR63

Is Matt Lottich on the hot seat now?

VULB#62

Caught the end of the UDM-UWGB WBB title game.  Phoenix are going to their 17th NCAA dance -- yayphoenixyay, you must be happy.  But I posted this because in watching this afternoon's title game on ESPNU, I was struck by how loud and energetic the 250-300 fans there were.  Then it dawned on me that the game was in Detroit and UDM was one of the teams playing.  There was a small cluster of UWGB parents and fans there but they weren't as loud as the UDM fans.

yayphoenixyay

I personally don't really pay attention to the women's team. They are certainly more popular in the Green Bay area and when you talk about the "Phoenix" people generally assume you're talking about the women's team. I think for me, it boils down to "success fatigue" where its not even fun to watch them roll teams by 50 on the path to their guaranteed NCAA berth every year. I'm certainly happy for them, but I'd gladly trade their success to the men's team at any second.

frontrowfan

Left Detroit after our loss.  Arrived at my Birmingham hotel only to find Thst my room is in the middle of the UTEP MBB block    A 4 seed in the C-USA tournament.  I'll watch to see how many fans are reported in attendance

jloose128

Two hours ago I correctly predicted Gary Waters' demise, I must be psychic. Anybody want me to get rid of anyone else? John Groce? Tom Crean? Greg Kampe?

(btw Jon LeCrone, I'm also an "RPI expert")

FWalum

Quote from: jloose128 on March 07, 2017, 04:02:04 PM
Two hours ago I correctly predicted Gary Waters' demise, I must be psychic. Anybody want me to get rid of anyone else? John Groce? Tom Crean? Greg Kampe?

(btw Jon LeCrone, I'm also an "RPI expert")
How about Jon LeCrone himself...
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Everybody notice Jubril is still the star of the Valparaiso University promotional commercial shown on ESPN during the championship game?  ::)

hailcrusaders

After the HL Championship was over (congrats to the Norse), ESPN flips to the broadcast of the NEC championship, hosted by #1 seed Mount St. Mary's, who won the game in front of a PACKED HOUSE

"NEC did it the right way, they play the game at the #1 seed's home court" say the ESPN analysts after the game.

I'm sorry for "beating a dead horse" or whatever, but those of us on this board are not the only ones who have this opinion.
#CrusadersForever

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 07, 2017, 07:57:56 PM
After the HL Championship was over (congrats to the Norse), ESPN flips to the broadcast of the NEC championship, hosted by #1 seed Mount St. Mary's, who won the game in front of a PACKED HOUSE

"NEC did it the right way, they play the game at the #1 seed's home court" say the ESPN analysts after the game.

I'm sorry for "beating a dead horse" or whatever, but those of us on this board are not the only ones who have this opinion.

Ya beat me to it, Jay Williams of ESPN hit the nail on the head.  This tournament should have been at Oakland.

motowntitan

Quote from: bbtds on March 07, 2017, 12:18:12 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 06, 2017, 11:28:23 AM
LeCrone protests too much as he spins for the media and directs his staff to do so as well: "We weren't disappointed with an outcome," LeCrone said... "We met as a staff and said, 'That was great' (the excitement and atmosphere). Nobody was pouting, nobody was glum, nobody had their lower lip stuck out because Oakland lost. I tell the staff all the time, what happens in the rectangle, we have no control over. We weren't one bit disappointed, not a bit. We were actually energized. That's what I didn't want characterized, that we were disappointed. We weren't."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2017/03/06/horizon-tourneys-success-ou-udm-shoulders/98805574/

I have to agree with LeCrone. It doesn't seem quiet in the arena, the games have been exciting and I, myself, have not been disappointed.

I think it just makes you guys feel better to poo poo what has become an exciting and entertaining tournament. If you guys want to sit at home, complain all you want about this tournament. You are the ones missing out. I have enjoyed this tournament immensely. You guys really are missing out. Downtown Detroit is a whole lot more entertaining then I would have imagined. Haven't seen any sign of a slum or crime problems. 

BBTDS,

Thanks for coming and being so open minded.  glad you had fun. 

Hell, Milw even made the title game exciting and it appeared both teams had support tonight.

Next year we will be in the new arena and have the Qline being able to take people from downtown to midtown no problem. 

valpopal

Watching our old Summit League hold their championship on ESPN 2, and the announcers are praising the attendance figures, full arena of almost 12,000 for the semifinals last night and again for the final game tonight. The atmosphere is truly "energized."

motowntitan

Quote from: valpopal on March 07, 2017, 08:19:53 PM
Watching our old Summit League hold their championship on ESPN 2, and the announcers are praising the attendance figures, full arena of almost 12,000 for the semifinals last night and again for the final game tonight. The atmosphere is truly "energized."

And if Oakland doesn't choke, there are 15-20K at JLA tonight

hailcrusaders

Quote from: valpopal on March 07, 2017, 08:19:53 PMWatching our old Summit League hold their championship on ESPN 2, and the announcers are praising the attendance figures, full arena of almost 12,000 for the semifinals last night and again for the final game tonight. The atmosphere is truly "energized."

Summit has a similar setup with the "neutral site" (don't tell IPFW) conference tournament in Sioux Falls, within two hours drive of SDSU and USD, and three hours of UNO. And, lo and behold, we have SDSU and UNO in the championship, so it had better sell well.
#CrusadersForever

VU2624

ESPN was consistently hammering the HL and some other mid major conferences (although they used the HL because the top 2 seeds went down as the example) for even playing a tournament and that, in a one bid league, there should be regular season winner and that's all.

zvillehaze

Quote from: VU2624 on March 07, 2017, 09:17:06 PM
ESPN was consistently hammering the HL and some other mid major conferences (although they used the HL because the top 2 seeds went down as the example) for even playing a tournament and that, in a one bid league, there should be regular season winner and that's all.

That's odd, because ESPN gets lots of programming from these mid-major conference tourneys.  I understand the disappointment when a clear cut mid-major champion doesn't get in, but would everyone here be thrilled if Oakland got the NCAAT bid this year due to a tie-breaker?  I doubt it.

bbtds

Quote from: VUOR63 on March 07, 2017, 10:08:47 AMcalling it almost criminal that conferences render the entire season meaningless by way of a blatant money grab.  This lack of ethics by the conference/NCAA is appalling

The #1, #2 and #3 seeds rendered the season meaningless by losing to the the #9, #10 and #6 seeds in the HLT. There is no reason that what happened should have happened. Valpo losing Peters was a major factor but they still should have beaten Milwaukee.

zvillehaze

FWIW, the championship game tonight came across pretty well on TV.  Both schools brought a fair amount of fans.  The winner, NKU is a worthy champion ... top 100 RPI and won 9 of their last 10.  Not a total disaster, IMO.  They are playing well right now and did what was needed, ie. winning games on a neutral court when they knew that had to.  Hats off to them.

Valpo89

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 07, 2017, 09:35:55 PM
FWIW, the championship game tonight came across pretty well on TV.  Both schools brought a fair amount of fans.  The winner, NKU is a worthy champion ... top 100 RPI and won 9 of their last 10.  Not a total disaster, IMO.  They are playing well right now and did what was needed, ie. winning games on a neutral court when they knew that had to.  Hats off to them.
True, Northern Kentucky was the least embarrassing alternative to Oakland and certainly a depleted Valpo.
But, the Norse need to send thank you cards to the folks at Green Bay for injuring Alec Peters and changing the outcome of not only the tournament but the regular season as well.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on March 07, 2017, 09:33:38 PM
Quote from: VUOR63 on March 07, 2017, 10:08:47 AMcalling it almost criminal that conferences render the entire season meaningless by way of a blatant money grab.  This lack of ethics by the conference/NCAA is appalling

The #1, #2 and #3 seeds rendered the season meaningless by losing to the the #9, #10 and #6 seeds in the HLT. There is no reason that what happened should have happened. Valpo losing Peters was a major factor but they still should have beaten Milwaukee.

Does being the only one who gets it ever give you pause?

wh

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 07, 2017, 09:41:15 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on March 07, 2017, 09:35:55 PM
True, Northern Kentucky was the least embarrassing alternative to Oakland and certainly a depleted Valpo.
But, the Norse need to send thank you cards to the folks at Green Bay for injuring Alec Peters and changing the outcome of not only the tournament but the regular season as well.

The HL avoided a total disaster by the skin of its teeth. A Milwaukee win would have given the HL the absolute last entry in the NCAA tournament.

zvillehaze

Quote from: bbtds on March 07, 2017, 09:33:38 PM

Thanks to bbtds for being the voice of reason.  If your "best" teams can't beat bottom feeders on a neutral court in the league tourney, why do you think they could beat a top three seed in the NCAAT on a neutral court?  NKU is the deserving champ and I hope they do well in the NCAAT.  They earned the right to try.

Also, leave the NCAA out of this.  The conferences, not the NCAA, determine who they send to the NCAAT.  If the HL wants to send the regular season champ, they can.  And by the "HL", I don't mean LeCrone, I mean the member schools.  LeCrone is an easy target, but he works for your presidents and anything the HL does is approved by your presidents.  I suggest you send your complaints to them.

zvillehaze

wh posted while I was typing, so kudos to him also.