• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Someone needs to help with Football scheduling

Started by IndyValpo, September 13, 2011, 12:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Thank you TC28, Crusader65 and valporun for your enthusiasm and moral support of VU football and Valpo athletics in general.

TC28's post has to rank up there as one of the all time best first posts on this forum.

Crusader65 said a mouthful
QuoteI've always held the view that athletics at the college level were to enhance the education and life experience of the student that participated.  He or she should be taught by professor grade educators of the game with a dash of the humanities and a challenge to the beliefs and character one espouses.
I have always believed that fans and alumni, as an extension of the university, should be a part of this equation.  I like the type of support I am seeing in this thread, I hope it rubs off on some of our other posters.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Quote from: FWalum on September 16, 2011, 01:27:21 PM
Thank you TC28, Crusader65 and valporun for your enthusiasm and moral support of VU football and Valpo athletics in general.

TC28's post has to rank up there as one of the all time best first posts on this forum.

Crusader65 said a mouthful
QuoteI've always held the view that athletics at the college level were to enhance the education and life experience of the student that participated.  He or she should be taught by professor grade educators of the game with a dash of the humanities and a challenge to the beliefs and character one espouses.
I have always believed that fans and alumni, as an extension of the university, should be a part of this equation.  I like the type of support I am seeing in this thread, I hope it rubs off on some of our other posters.

I hope we are not equating calls for changes in the schedule with a lack of support for the football team or Coach Carlson. The two are exclusive of one another or, if anything, those of us recommending scheduling changes see that as a way of supporting Valpo football. Certainly, as someone who knows well some of the players, I am 100% in support of them and Carlson, even if I wish we had a different schedule.

vuweathernerd

per today's minot daily news - und is currently ranked 21st in fcs. anybody know if ysu was even in the poll at the time? this has the makings of an even bigger butt kicking than ysu was. scheduling these types of teams was/is/will be a huge mistake until huge gains are made in our quality of play.

and before anybody tries to jump down my throat, be warned. i am NOT calling for dropping football, and i absolutely support coach carlson and his efforts to get the team turned around. however, it takes time to do that - if he can do it in three years, awesome! most of the time, though, it takes longer than that to change the mindset of a program that has been in shambles for almost 10 years. and really, it'll only be his second season with players he recruited. i'm sure that the more players coach carlson has that can support and work with his system will bring improvements. but i can't support the decision to schedule teams like ysu and und until the improvements have been consistent. and it's just too early to determine that right now.