• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Non-Conference games 2019-2020 season

Started by tiny707, March 13, 2019, 02:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

One of the beat reporters had it and tweeted it out.  I would be surprised if it's been long since deleted.

VUGrad1314

With recent series against UIC Loyola and Bradley it is clear that St Joseph's really enjoys coming to the midwest for games. We should really consider getting them on our schedule for a home and home. I think it would be a really good series.

4throwfan

On the MBB 2019-2020 thread, there was discussion on the impact to the schedule as a result of the GW and Vandy pullout.  I'm simply responding here, in order to move that conversation to this thread.

Just a few thoughts:

1. I hope the buyouts (liquidated damages) were very large.  The damages caused by the pullouts are fairly large.
2. Scheduling just got that much harder.  I really hope that the MVC is working on another challenge series with another conference.  Frankly, I think that we need at least two.  That would put at least two games on the schedule.  Or maybe put two games (a game each with two different opposing conference teams) on a single challenge such that each team in each conference gets one home and one away game.
3. Like others, I hope the pullouts don't mean a home slate loaded with D-II's.  I would suspect that, IF (huge 'if') VU makes the national tournament, then at best it's looking at a 15 seed.  So, Net score is not going to matter.  If it doesn't matter, then who cares who VU plays.  In other words, I'd prefer to see games against lowly D-1 schools that drag down Net, than see games against D-II's that don't have any effect.  VU's bad seeding will likely be this year and next year, so having home-and-homes with those lowly D-I's won't matter.
4.  Maybe VU can use the buyout money that it receives to buy a couple of games against some lower D-I's. 
5.  See No. 1.

GoldenCrusader87

$250k is still a lot of money .... especially for someone who hadn't ever been an HC before. But I get it ... it's
The name of the game. Supply and demand. With that said, I certainly hope something tangible comes of these buyouts. Let's say we get $250k - $300k total, that's gotta be enough to make some sort of upgrades ... like, oh idk ... lights! Covering up the tinfoil over the air ducts ... painting the walls .... new PA system? Something ....

VALPO LI

Curious to see as fans who would you rather see come to the ARC on a Tuesday night early in December.
California Berkley
Or
Utah Valley
?
Shine on Vu

4throwfan

Quote from: VALPO LI on August 08, 2019, 07:53:58 AM
Curious to see as fans who would you rather see come to the ARC on a Tuesday night early in December.
California Berkley
Or
Utah Valley
?

I would assume that most fans would prefer to see Cal Berkeley since it is a Pac XII team.

Another question would be: who would you rather see come to the ARC: Utah Valley or Concordia?  I'd rather see the Div. I come.

Vinny

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on August 07, 2019, 09:04:17 PM$250k is still a lot of money .... especially for someone who hadn't ever been an HC before. But I get it ... it's The name of the game. Supply and demand. With that said, I certainly hope something tangible comes of these buyouts. Let's say we get $250k - $300k total, that's gotta be enough to make some sort of upgrades ... like, oh idk ... lights! Covering up the tinfoil over the air ducts ... painting the walls .... new PA system? Something ....

It may sound radical but might it make sense to go full cost cutting for just this season, pool those savings along the buyout money and put that chunk of money toward the PA system and lighting? Not saying starve the players but maybe bus instead of fly or not take international trips? It's kind of embarrassing to even propose that in a public forum but whatever is in place obviously isn't working. These facility issues have existed for over a decade.

vu84v2

To the comments about the buyout money being able to be put to good use, I suggest that people should not assume that the athletic department operates independently from the university. It is reasonable to suspect that the university does not let any entity in the university take money independently and use it at their own discretion. This is the norm and how things work in most universities. Some large athletic departments operate as independent entities (example: Kansas) and a few colleges operate independently from their affiliated university (example: Harvard Business School) - but Valpo does not operate this way. An example at Valparaiso would be the business school creating a new executive education program with several companies and generating $250K of 'margin'. That 'margin' likely does not go to the business school automatically, but instead likely goes to the centralized university finance, strategy and planning groups. Note: donations are different because the donor can set terms on how the money is used.

In other words, such decisions and the prioritization versus all other university needs are made centrally. So do not assume that the buyout money creates some other good for the basketball program or athletic departments. Alternatively, it is quite possible that the university would let the athletic department add something like $50K to their budget and then use the money elsewhere in the university.

vu84v2

Quote from: Vinny on August 08, 2019, 08:38:01 AM
Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on August 07, 2019, 09:04:17 PM$250k is still a lot of money .... especially for someone who hadn't ever been an HC before. But I get it ... it's The name of the game. Supply and demand. With that said, I certainly hope something tangible comes of these buyouts. Let's say we get $250k - $300k total, that's gotta be enough to make some sort of upgrades ... like, oh idk ... lights! Covering up the tinfoil over the air ducts ... painting the walls .... new PA system? Something ....

It may sound radical but might it make sense to go full cost cutting for just this season, pool those savings along the buyout money and put that chunk of money toward the PA system and lighting? Not saying starve the players but maybe bus instead of fly or not take international trips? It's kind of embarrassing to even propose that in a public forum but whatever is in place obviously isn't working. These facility issues have existed for over a decade.

Beyond my other note regarding how budgeting and spending really works within universities, what would you tell the current players? "We're glad that you came here and your efforts to live with a cost cutting program will hopefully yield great benefits for other players in the future?"

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 08, 2019, 08:41:33 AM
To the comments about the buyout money being able to be put to good use, I suggest that people should not assume that the athletic department operates independently from the university. It is reasonable to suspect that the university does not let any entity in the university take money independently and use it at their own discretion. This is the norm and how things work in most universities. Some large athletic departments operate as independent entities (example: Kansas) and a few colleges operate independently from their affiliated university (example: Harvard Business School) - but Valpo does not operate this way. An example at Valparaiso would be the business school creating a new executive education program with several companies and generating $250K of 'margin'. That 'margin' likely does not go to the business school automatically, but instead likely goes to the centralized university finance, strategy and planning groups. Note: donations are different because the donor can set terms on how the money is used.

In other words, such decisions and the prioritization versus all other university needs are made centrally. So do not assume that the buyout money creates some other good for the basketball program or athletic departments. Alternatively, it is quite possible that the university would let the athletic department add something like $50K to their budget and then use the money elsewhere in the university.

I agree wholeheartedly here.  I don't think any department within Valpo is treated as its own profit center and they all share the revenue generated based on "need" across the University.  I still vote for AC in all dorms before all else!!!!!!!  I was in Alumni and Brandt and boy they were hot boxes in 2001/02 (and not just weed)!

VALPO LI

Quote from: 4throwfan on August 08, 2019, 08:17:22 AM
Quote from: VALPO LI on August 08, 2019, 07:53:58 AM
California Berkley
Or
Utah Valley
?

I would assume that most fans would prefer to see Cal Berkeley since it is a Pac XII team.

Another question would be: who would you rather see come to the ARC: Utah Valley or Concordia?  I'd rather see the Div. I come.

Exactly!  Cal is a well branded team from a well known conference that finished the year at 8-23 (with 3 conference wins) with a NET of 225!  I'll bet that we would be close to a sell out crowd on a Tuesday night if Cal came to the ARC.
Utah Valley is from the WAC finished the season 25-10 with 12 conference wins and a NET rating of 100!!!!! Yet I would be surprised if we had over 3,500 people in the stands.

My point is that I thought the loss of the George Washington game was a major blow to the program but that tune has changed. I was focused on the brand name of GW.  Little to no conversation has been made about the potential game against the other A-10 school that we may play in the Virgin Islands Fordham, a school that finished with a better record of 12-20 and better net of 245 over GW. (Granted that is no prise but they are somewhat better on paper than GW).
I am over Vandy and GW!!! -now let us regroup and get some home games if possible against mid major schools and focus on our boys who will start the season in Canada!!!!
Shine on Vu

NativeCheesehead

Great point above on the buyout. As I've said many times before here: If an upgraded ARC was a priority for Heckler / board it would have already happened.

vu84v2

The potential game against Fordham is not at Valpo. The topic here is the home non-conference schedule. I have generally liked the neutral site tournaments and the road schedules (though I am against playing road games at lower D1 schools).

VALPO LI

I agree, I just added the Fordham game in as a comparison of another potential A-10 game on our schedule that has a better Net rating but less appeal by name to George Washington.  I personally am hoping to see Valpo play Nevada for our second match up.
Shine on Vu

4throwfan

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 08, 2019, 12:06:57 PM
The potential game against Fordham is not at Valpo. The topic here is the home non-conference schedule. I have generally liked the neutral site tournaments and the road schedules (though I am against playing road games at lower D1 schools).

Just seeking clarification: are you against home-and-home against low D1's?  I'm not sure that we should oppose that, simply because it will make it difficult to fill the home slate.  Maybe agree that VU should not have H&H's against far away D1's, but I don't agree about those within, say 400 miles.

VU2014

So does this we'regoing to pay someone to play at the arc without a return game? Maybe it's just me but I feel like resources could be spent elsewhere rather than bringing in a low major to come play us unless it's a dirt cheap buy game, for a fraction of the buyouts we received from both Vandy and GW.

https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1159471973153554433?s=21

vu84v2

Quote from: 4throwfan on August 08, 2019, 12:48:44 PM

Just seeking clarification: are you against home-and-home against low D1's?  I'm not sure that we should oppose that, simply because it will make it difficult to fill the home slate.  Maybe agree that VU should not have H&H's against far away D1's, but I don't agree about those within, say 400 miles.

I guess it depends on who the team is and how you frame 'low D1'.

Chicago State? Never! (I would not even play them at home).
SIUE? No
UWGB, PFW? Yeah, I am probably OK with that.
Detroit, Western Illinois and IUPUI? Probably OK with that too.
MAC teams? Yes (I do not consider them low D1s)

Who else is within 400 miles?

VALPO LI

MoSt. Non conference schedule is out and on it are all D1 teams!  They did pay 80k to play a game in Springfield against Cleveland St. 10-21 NET 284. (Who fired their head coach and staff this summer)
This would not be considered"beefing up" a schedule for Valpo but does it justify not playing a non D1 school?
Shine on Vu

4throwfan

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 08, 2019, 02:18:30 PM
Quote from: 4throwfan on August 08, 2019, 12:48:44 PM

I guess it depends on who the team is and how you frame 'low D1'.

Chicago State? Never! (I would not even play them at home).
SIUE? No
UWGB, PFW? Yeah, I am probably OK with that.
Detroit, Western Illinois and IUPUI? Probably OK with that too.
MAC teams? Yes (I do not consider them low D1s)

Who else is within 400 miles?

The reason for my question was simply in response to your statement that you don't want VU playing road games against low D1's.  My point was that theoretically, road games at low D1's would be as part of a home and home, so VU may need to play road games against low D1's.

I think we should be open to home-and-home's against just about any D1.  I take your point with regard to Chicago State.  However, if it comes down between Chicago State and a D2, I'm leaning toward home-and-home with Chicago State.  I agree that such a series is close to unpalatable. 

I would say that ANY other school that is easy to travel to (as a H&H) is preferable to a couple of years of multiple D2 games on the home slate.  Obviously, opinions will differ on that.

The sad thing is that I believe that this discussion is not misplaced, and it's unfortunate that we're having it.

VU2014

I'm just a little skeptical on the buy games. If it's a low major, I don't see the point in a year we don't expect to compete for a conference title. I'm not a season ticket holder right now but I could definitely see how opinions would differ for season ticket holders. I'd rather see those funds go towards "minor" facility improvements.

Idk. I need to be talked into it

crusader05

VUGrad1314

Good. Get that money for the long overdue facility upgrades. Keep stacking that cash and let's get serious about building our future!

VUGrad1314

Here's a thought. Is it possible we let Vanderbilt out of its home and home contract only to allow them to buy us back to come to Nashville for even more money? If so, and if that money is used properly, that's not a terrible strategy even though losing that home game really stings for us fans. I am willing to take short term pain for long term gain but I must see a strategy come forth out of this.

VALPO LI

Quote from: crusader05 on August 15, 2019, 04:18:43 PM
https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1161989302697566213

saw this tweet from Happening Hoops but no other confirmation anywhere yet

I am reading it on Saint Louis University message board that this is a confirmed game between Christmas and New Years...but I can not find it anywhere else. 
If true this is extremely exciting to hear!!!!!
SLU (NET 107) finished strong last year in the A-10 with a record of 23-13 winning the A-10 championship earning them a ticket to the big dance. 
Shine on Vu

VUBBFan

Quote from: VALPO LI on August 15, 2019, 06:01:48 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on August 15, 2019, 04:18:43 PMhttps://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/1161989302697566213 saw this tweet from Happening Hoops but no other confirmation anywhere yet
I am reading it on Saint Louis University message board that this is a confirmed game between Christmas and New Years...but I can not find it anywhere else. If true this is extremely exciting to hear!!!!! SLU (NET 107) finished strong last year in the A-10 with a record of 23-13 winning the A-10 championship earning them a ticket to the big dance.

A great away game, but I'd really like to get some quality home games. Was happy at the beginning of the summer because it looked like we were going to have it this year, until we got the rug pulled out from under us by those two $#&** schools. Now it doesn't look too favorable since a lot of the D1 schools already have their schedules done.