• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Fox's promotion to head coach

Started by usc4valpo, September 22, 2019, 03:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

A majority of employees always want to find the opportunity to get promoted, make more money and take on more responsibility. Sometimes these jobs are open for some reason, and you find out a) you are a square in a round hole, or b) it is a opportunity you may wish you did not pursue. I am sure this has happened to some on this board, including myself. Even 3 games into the season, I am a little concerned if Coach Fox is having second thoughts about taking this difficult job. The overall university apathy and lack of commitment to football requires someone special to enable success.

VULB#62

Right now, I'll bet he's thinking "Wow, maybe I didn't realize exactly where Valpo was and what I inherited."  But at the same time, he is a passionate guy who seems to be stubborn enough to prove he made the right decision. Saying that, let's wait to judge until the season ends. Will the team continuously improve?  Will Fox make adjustments or stay with a set lineup? For instance, yesterday, Fox played 4 QBs in contrast to previous games. As mentioned by you and many on this board he came in the job with a lot going against instance success. But to his credit he looked at JCs and transfers to try to compensate for the recruiting handicap he was handed.

usc4valpo

Please note that I am not ripping him - I just wonder what he is thinking right now.

VULB#62

Understand. It's only natural to wonder.

On a related note, I gotta believe that Cecchini had an idea he was leaving well before February. And the lack of energetic recruiting evidenced by the meak Football Twitter feed after the season concluded compounded the current situation.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 22, 2019, 03:09:54 PM
A majority of employees always want to find the opportunity to get promoted, make more money and take on more responsibility. Sometimes these jobs are open for some reason, and you find out a) you are a square in a round hole, or b) it is a opportunity you may wish you did not pursue. I am sure this has happened to some on this board, including myself. Even 3 games into the season, I am a little concerned if Coach Fox is having seconds thoughts about taking this difficult job. The overall university apathy and lack of commitment to football requires someone special to enable success.

Way to early to jump ship.  He did see "University apathy" via brand new state of the art turf and a willingness to hire a full time strength coach dedicated to just football.  So much for apathy.  New system, new coaches, young team.  In the immortal words of Aaron Rogers..."relax"!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Ummm ok, but there is much more, financially and engagement wise, that the university needs to do. As for relaxing, too much of it this with one winning season over 15 years.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 22, 2019, 03:55:01 PMUnderstand. It's only natural to wonder. On a related note, I gotta believe that Cecchini had an idea he was leaving well before February. And the lack of energetic recruiting evidenced by the meak Football Twitter feed after the season concluded compounded the current situation.
I think long before.

Valpo2013

The university is satisfied with football so long as the staff continues to bring in 100 male athletes who pay to come to school
Like it or not -many of the sports teams are just an extension of enrollment.

Would they prefer football perform better? I'm sure they would
But our other sports are struggling as well-cross country,track,swimming...all bring the University revenue in terms of non scholarship athletics-or very little.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 22, 2019, 03:55:01 PM
Understand. It's only natural to wonder.

On a related note, I gotta believe that Cecchini had an idea he was leaving well before February. And the lack of energetic recruiting evidenced by the meak Football Twitter feed after the season concluded compounded the current situation.
I think you are correct he mailed the recruiting process in this year what we sign 20-22?

valpofb16

Cecc had 20 day of signing day with Fox adding 13-15 more. The quality of schools which the kids were being recruited from drastically changed in their national rankings. That being said I give major kudos to the kids who committed to one staff and stayed for the next one. I am hoping Fox finds each and every one of them a home in our new offense/defense schemes and they can become new leaders for the program.

JD24

Quote from: IndyValpo on September 22, 2019, 07:12:38 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 22, 2019, 03:55:01 PMUnderstand. It's only natural to wonder. On a related note, I gotta believe that Cecchini had an idea he was leaving well before February. And the lack of energetic recruiting evidenced by the meak Football Twitter feed after the season concluded compounded the current situation.
I think you are correct he mailed the recruiting process in this year what we sign 20-22?
I first mentioned to someone on this board that something was up with Cecchini going back as far as the first couple of games last year. I honestly don't know what it was that made me think this in any specific way other than Cecchini was coming off as a bit distant. I also felt that contributed to last year's collapse.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 22, 2019, 07:18:16 PMCecc had 20 day of signing day with Fox adding 13-15 more. The quality of schools which the kids were being recruited from drastically changed in their national rankings. That being said I give major kudos to the kids who committed to one staff and stayed for the next one. I am hoping Fox finds each and every one of them a home in our new offense/defense schemes and they can become new leaders for the program.
Do you mean the quality of schools went up for Fox's recruits or the other way around?

valpofb16

I was speaking in terms of the quality of schools were down from Cecchinis 2017,2018 classes in comparison to his 2019 recruited players. Fox did excellent just getting kids in the door after March.

Vinny

I have to think that if you're in the running for a position that you've worked at for over two decades (not VU HFC, but a college HFC) that you research that job as thoroughly as possible. You become as well read on the history of that organization, you know what and where has happened to at least the previous three predecessors, and what you're going to do to get your next job, because this job, in particular, better not be the end goal.

With that said, aside from a pay increase, I'm unsure what would attract a potential head coach to VU. What Cecchini accomplished here was meager in the grand scope of things but because the standards for VU football are so embarrassingly low, it seems like he was some sort of messiah. The impression of VU within the college football coaching circle can't be that positive. High academics? Great but almost every college is going to cherrypick numbers and figures about its academics and claim to be the Harvard of wherever they're from. Football and a number of other sports here are simply an enrollment strategy.

I've been scolded for being too negative and that's fine, but I've also adjusted my expectations. I expect men's basketball to be competitive and if any other program can finish with a winning record considering the obstacles they face, it's just icing on the cake.

valpo64

After only 2 games into this football season, I am very disappointed to hear the innuendos, hinting of negative comments, and all the rest of the negative comments regarding Coach Fox.  Some of the shall we say "backhanded" comments seem quite inappropriate at this juncture of the season.  For crying out loud, give the guy a break!  He was picked and chose to accept the VU job that, going in, he knew would be challenging.  Let's try to help and encourage him to work to put  a positive approach and gain success in our program.

vu72

Quote from: Vinny on September 23, 2019, 09:45:44 AMWith that said, aside from a pay increase, I'm unsure what would attract a potential head coach to VU. What Cecchini accomplished here was meager in the grand scope of things but because the standards for VU football are so embarrassingly low, it seems like he was some sort of messiah. The impression of VU within the college football coaching circle can't be that positive. High academics? Great but almost every college is going to cherrypick numbers and figures about its academics and claim to be the Harvard of wherever they're from. Football and a number of other sports here are simply an enrollment strategy.

I would think that just being a head coach is a big step forward.  Dave came into a mess, got coach of the year honors and is gone. Can we expect the same from Landon?  If he gets Coach of the Year, you can count on it.  Valpo will always be a one and done situation, meaning that sustained winning is difficult given the nature of the school and the type of kids studying at Valpo.  By that I mean that we are getting players who are coming to Valpo for academics--look at the roster and their majors.  If they are studying mechanical engineering, they aren't going to be interested in a red-shirt year.  Couple that with being at a "basketball school" and it is pretty clear that playing non-scholarship football is something to do between the beginning of the school year and the start of basketball season.
Does mean that the administration doesn't want to win?  Of course not.  It is just a reality.  Look at Butler, who we have beaten in three of Dave's five years at Valpo.  Butler has better name recognition and plays at a much better facility. Their problem is the same as Valpo's.  It's Indiana folks. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

This string is diverging from the original intent and that is wrong. USC wondered if Coach Fox might have second thoughts on accepting the job. It was in no way a criticism of him as a coach.

usc4valpo

Vinny - many people try to move up just for the buck and power without looking at the ramifications, particularly those who do not look at the whole picture. This happens a lot in business.
64 - Again, I am not ripping Fox, this is a tough situation for him. I just wonder what he is thinking.

usc4valpo

Any Valpo football student athlete whose primary purpose is to play football over getting a decent degree certainly does not have their priority in place.

FWalum

I guess I don't really understand what started this thread ???  Was there some kind of reaction by Fox, something he said or did, that was the impetus for this thread?  I don't remember a thread like this when Cecchini began his first season at VU.  I know he didn't start 0-3 but was 1-4 after 5 games.  If some action or reaction by Fox didn't start this thread then we are all speculating on a speculation and I think that is a little strange to be doing just 3 games into a head coaches coaching debut.  Personally my perception of Fox is that he is a "bulldog", a coach of high energy and intensity that will work hard to achieve goals and not be someone who sits back and wonders "what if" or could a would a should a.

If someone has seen or heard something that indicates Fox's frustration with the state of the program or the administrations commitment to the program, then this would be news worth talking about.

One other interesting note is that it seems this staff is actually recruiting the Fort Wayne area, something Cecchini's staff didn't do much of in the past.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show