• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo hosts SIU Game Thread, Wed., Feb. 12th, 7:00p CT, ESPN+

Started by tiny707, February 06, 2020, 06:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenCrusader87

[/size] VUGrad1314[size=0.85em]Join Date: May 2017
[/size][/size]
  • [size=0.85em][/font][/size][/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
  • [size=0.85em] [/font][/size][/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
  • [size=0.85em]
[size=0.85em][/size][/size]
[size=0.85em]Quote (selected)[/r]
[/b][/font][/size][/size]
  • [size=0.85em][/l]

Right because having former Duke players serve as assistants under Coach K has been such a problem for that program... or former Butler players under the various Butler coaches over the years... If your program is solid and it works then promoting from within is not a bad thing if you really believe a candidate can work. It is good to get an outside voice every once in awhile as well but promoting from within is something a lot of successful programs do with of course mixed results but usually solid. Such was the thought process on hiring Matt in the first place and it looks like maybe that experiment is about to turn the corner. But we'll see I'll reserve judgment on that specific case but promoting from within is common especially at private schools.

I stand corrected. Coach K and Matt are clearly comparable lol. My apologies all.

justducky

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 15, 2020, 10:12:36 AM[/size] VUGrad1314[size=0.85em]Join Date: May 2017
[/size][/size]
[size=0.85em][/font][/size][/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
[size=0.85em] [/font][/size][/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
[size=0.85em]
[size=0.85em][/l]

I just can't find the words to argue--so  :thumbsup:

Just Sayin

Quote from: justducky on February 15, 2020, 10:32:17 AM
Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on February 15, 2020, 10:12:36 AM[/size] VUGrad1314[size=0.85em]Join Date: May 2017
[/size][/size]
[size=0.85em][/font][/size][/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
[size=0.85em] [/font][/size][/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
[size=0.85em]
[size=0.85em][/l]

I just can't find the words to argue--so  :thumbsup:

I would have thought that comment was posted by Tiny707

VUBBFan

Man we have really gone off the rails in speculation and theorizing on an innocuous comment of "Coach Kiser". I take it as him coaching from the bench, by being supportive and encouraging to his fellow players while he's unable to play. Helping the team in what ever capacity he can for the rest of the year. To take that to a passionate discourser on the administration's method of hiring coaches seems to be rather extreme.

John studied to be an engineer not a basketball coach for Valpo. Why get so riled up about a supposed situation (becoming a VU coach) that has about a 99.9% chance of never happening?

JD24

QuoteMan we have really gone off the rails in speculation and theorizing on an innocuous comment of "Coach Kiser". I take it as him coaching from the bench, by being supportive and encouraging to his fellow players while he's unable to play. Helping the team in what ever capacity he can for the rest of the year. To take that to a passionate discourser on the administration's method of hiring coaches seems to be rather extreme. John studied to be an engineer not a basketball coach for Valpo. Why get so riled up about a supposed situation (becoming a VU coach) that has about a 99.9% chance of never happening?
Because some posters like to wear the "if this happens I'm through" badge as one of honor no matter how um....odd...it may seem to the rest of the board.

VUGrad1314

Right because having former Duke players serve as assistants under Coach K has been such a problem for that program... or former Butler players under the various Butler coaches over the years... If your program is solid and it works then promoting from within is not a bad thing if you really believe a candidate can work. It is good to get an outside voice every once in awhile as well but promoting from within is something a lot of successful programs do with of course mixed results but usually solid. Such was the thought process on hiring Matt in the first place and it looks like maybe that experiment is about to turn the corner. But we'll see I'll reserve judgment on that specific case but promoting from within is common especially at private schools. I stand corrected. Coach K and Matt are clearly comparable lol. My apologies all.

Golden Crusader 87,

I didn't make that post to suggest that Coach K and Matt are comparable (ask bbtds if I think Coach K and Matt are comparable and he will direct you to a thread on Bryce Drew where hat eating is mentioned should Matt win a few National Titles I merely wrote that to suggest that promoting\hiring from within is not inherently a bad or flawed strategy which may not have been your original contention anyway. That said, I think a coach should have discretion to hire or promote especially for a small end of the bench role a candidate that he thinks has potential even if it's someone who played for him regardless of if there's another former player on the roster. That's all.

GoldenCrusader87

Something we can all agree on - let's break the pattern by winning 2 straight games tonight.

Go VU!

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUBBFan on February 13, 2020, 12:14:13 AMSadly, I think we have seen the last of Kiser playing for Valpo. He positively was in a great amount of pain. He could not put any pressure on his foot and for someone who, through his whole career, always seemed to bounce back from hard hits by just taking a big breath this was a very serious injury. I'm thinking he broke or fractured something in his ankle. Even if it is a mild sprain you're looking at being out 2 -3 weeks, which is the end of the season. By the way he was being carried around, my thought is the minimum injury he sustained was a severe sprain. With that being 6-8 weeks recovery time. I hope that I'm wrong and we see him suited up for Illinois State but I'm not counting on it. He will be sorely missed. Hopefully all the glue he applied to this team this year sticks around for a while cause I know if he can't play he will be on the bench encouraging his teammates. That's what a team players does and John is truly a team player with great Heart. All the best to you john. Loved seeing you play and all you did for the team.

Man I'm eating some crow and liking it. Kiser must be the Man of Steel. I was so positive he was gone for the season. For once I'm glad I was wrong.

Go John Kiser!
https://twitter.com/MichaelOsipoff/status/1228817644637376514

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1228817907871862794

JD24

Can be tough to tell but he didn't appear to be in any real discomfort last night when he'd move around off the bench.