• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 12: @ New Mexico State

Started by valpofb16, November 26, 2022, 06:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

A little background on the buyout.

First, NMSU was cash rich because they had $3M from the games with Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Missouri. On top of that, they had $200K from San Jose State for the game that they cancelled.

My understanding is that Valpo did a very good job of negotiating the price with NMSU and got a lot more than what was originally offered.

valpofb16

Plane tickets roughly 20k. That's 430k of expendable income for football.

Wishlist:

1. Indoor Practice facility - bare bones, turf, over head protection, space heaters - see Uindy

2. Raises for full time staff - helps to keep guys together

3. Brown field upgrades. Not sure how but someone make it look nicer

vu72

I'm pretty sure the $425,000 price tag is a new buy game fee.  Glad to read the team will actually fly charter out of Valpo.  Big time for the kids.  That's two big pay days in one year which will help all sports.  Great news!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpofamfan

The charter will cost lots more than $20k; I would guess trip will cost more like $200k- still an unexpected almost quarter of a million dollars towards valpo athletics though!

valpofb16

Did not realize the charter..... anywhere to watch the game?

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

BIG Win for Mr. Small.   I love it!!

vu84v2

The former Valpo football player who is on the NMSU staff (Jack Jarnigan) deserves an alumni award. This is creative thinking that fostered a great win-win situation.

IndyValpo

According to the NMSU website Bally Sports Arizona will have the game, good news for those of us in the Phoenix area.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Quote from: valpofb16 on November 30, 2022, 09:58:09 AM
Plane tickets roughly 20k. That's 430k of expendable income for football.

Wishlist:

1. Indoor Practice facility - bare bones, turf, over head protection, space heaters - see Uindy

2. Raises for full time staff - helps to keep guys together

3. Brown field upgrades. Not sure how but someone make it look nicer
Quote from: Valpofamfan on November 30, 2022, 12:00:15 PM
The charter will cost lots more than $20k; I would guess trip will cost more like $200k- still an unexpected almost quarter of a million dollars towards valpo athletics though!
I think both numbers are pretty far off. Here is what I think is reasonable:
Commercial round trip Flight for 90 people to El Paso would be around $37,000 according to Hopper. Charter billed at $10,000 per flight hour, 2.75hrs should be no more than $55,000. I think that this is high.
Lodging for 90 people (45 rooms 2 nights) $200 per room $18,000. High, could easily get rooms for $150. The issue will be all in one location on short notice.
Meals for 90 people. I would think 9 meals per person at a cost of $30 per meal $24,300. This is probably a max cost and could be lower. When I did team travel in the late 2000's we would go to Golden Corral a lot  :P
Buses for 90 people (2) 3 days. Approx $2000 per day per bus $12,000
Misc. $5,000
Total = $114,300
Did I miss anything?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

It would be good if Valpo and NMSU athletics departments develop a relationship that might allow for a meeting between the two schools' basketball teams in an upcoming season.

soapyjeans

I'm thrilled this is working out for Valpo and of course the players are excited for the opportunity.  The money is an unexpected windfall that should be used to further football facilities  :twocents:  Maybe even a bonus for the football coaches and definitely some kind of recognition award to Jack Jarnigan for thinking outside the box.  ;)

valpopal

I understand the desire to put all income from this game back into football facilities, salaries, players' academic scholarship support, etc. However, this creates problems. Since Valparaiso, like other universities of its size, has basically two revenue sports (men's basketball and football), those sources must help fund all other sports as well. Additionally, if all money earned by football and men's basketball were always reinvested in those sports, there would be Title IX questions raised about none of it distributed to women athletes. Of course, the two revenue sports should receive a hefty amount of the incomes they generate because they have higher expenses and their return on investment is more substantial. Nevertheless, the university will be under an obligation to carefully spread the wealth from any unexpected windfall such as this game by placing it in a more general athletics pool from which football could receive a generous portion.

vu84v2

valpopal - Extending your points, I also would not be surprised if the university takes a certain percentage of the proceeds. People may (and do) groan at this, but this is common practice in any university that is not flush in funds. Indeed (and outside of sports), if a college creates a new program the university will take 20-40% from the college's proceeds to add to the university-level budget.

NWIGuy

A "bubble"-style indoor facility would be GREAT addition to VU athletics.  The comparison to UIndy is spot on in terms of scope. Would be used by multiple sports, esp if a track surface was included. Granted, I have no idea what that would cost, but it would sure check a lot of boxes.

soapyjeans

Well just look at us, offering our ideas, opinions on how Valpo should spend their windfall, lol.  I do like the sound of a indoor sports facility.  Just has a nice ring to it...

crusader05

If I could pick I would say don't build a whole new arena but revamp the ARC and add a bubble style training facility. This would be a great resource for intramurals, practice time, an indooor track facility, and just less wear and tear on Brown Field. It also could be rented out or maybe worked out with the local high school for indoor winter practices or host tournaments. I also think they should do a public partnership and build a parking garage near by.

That said, I think using the money for salaries might not work well if you can't maintain it but also updating a lot of locker rooms or creating an endowed fund around training would be a good idea as well

usc4valpo

Guys, you only do so much with $200k these days.

crusader05

Yeah the dome/bubble thing is way past the scope of what the buyout could fund. I was just picking up on that and tying it to a possible alternative than building a new arena like the strategic plan says.  I think your best bet for the 200 plus is either using it for something that helps the whole department, perhaps regarding training or nutrition resources/facilities or figuring out a way it can be used to maintain increased salaries.

Turf and Grid Iron Dad

A video scoreboard for advertisement and video reply would likely have an opportunity to spend funds properly with a simple payback.

soapyjeans

A video scoreboard sounds nice and would offer the opportunity to earn future funds for Valpo thru advertising, sponsoring etc.  It could be a money maker for the school.  Good idea.

SlimJimJZ

The Brown Field scoreboard is in need of a replacement. There have been multiple issues with it breaking occasionally over the past few years. Would also majorly help with the game day atmosphere for all sports that use it - Football, Soccer, Track and Field.

VUSWIM08-12

I've always wanted to bet on Valpo football,  and today there are actually lines. Opened at NMSU -30.5. Took that , if Valpo keeps it within 21 -28 I think that would be a great , hope it doesn't get ridiculous where NMSU puts up 60-70+, nightmares of the YSU game a few years back...already bought FloSports for Men's basketball so I can watch fo "free" lol

valpotx

Very cool, I apparently get Bally Sports AZ as part of my Sports package with DirecTV.  It will be fun to watch Valpo Football in a true TV game, even with the expectation of getting whooped
"Don't mess with Texas"