• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #11 - @ (6-1) University of St. Thomas

Started by VULB#62, November 16, 2023, 05:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

So he should be healed and  back to full strength by spring.  But I hear ya, 16, about why he may test the portal if nothing improves in O locker room i.e., better system, better receivers, better coaching.

But ya know, you have done a great job of documenting the futility of xferring FROM Valpo to "greener" pastures - few seldom see the field for their new team. 

valpofb16

Yes. This years edition

Dom Grguric - Played in all games at Bowling Green - special teams

Braden Contreras - Illinois State - played in all games primarily special teams

Mason Kaplan - Illinois State - 1 GP

Ryan Merklinger - Western Illinois - started at center for a winless WIU

James Doerer - DNP - Eastern Michigan

Matt Ross - Special Teams Indiana Stare

Danny Files - DNP - Coastal Carolina

Hard to imagine the offense wouldn't have been much improved with 2-3 people

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 18, 2023, 04:16:24 PMGoing after a new guy is always a crap shot. We know what we have with Fox in 2 of the 3 phases of football. The deficient component is offense.

Isn't that a bit of a cheap shoot?  Offense! You think Valpo football should have an offense!!! You can't get everything!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on November 19, 2023, 10:44:31 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 18, 2023, 04:16:24 PMGoing after a new guy is always a crap shot. We know what we have with Fox in 2 of the 3 phases of football. The deficient component is offense.

Isn't that a bit of a cheap shoot?  Offense! You think Valpo football should have an offense!!! You can't get everything!

Are you saying Meatloaf was right: "Two out of three ain't bad" 😂

78crusader

I don't really know anything about the football program other than the scores of our games. I have little knowledge about the current make up of our team  and who will be graduating or otherwise leaving the program before next season. I don't know who will be joining the team next fall.

What I do know is that last year Drake was winless until they won their final three games. Drake was able to build on that success by having a fine season in 2023.

VU followed a similar script by winning two of their final three games (and coming close to beating a tough St. Thomas team in the road) after a disappointing September and October.

This gives me some hope that we can build on these final three games and, like Drake this year, have a more successful 2024 season.

Paul

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on November 21, 2023, 02:09:17 PM
https://www.thevictorybell.com/p/column-the-ending-is-the-hardest

I agree.  Ending your athletic career is tough, as you are so used to feeding off your adrenaline on a continuous basis, and working towards that next practice and game.  I remember guys getting cut from the VU baseball team, that thought they were in the clear.  These folks would breakdown and seemed dead on the inside for a bit of time afterwards.  It was the same for me after exhausting my eligibility and how you feel in that last game, knowing that you won't ever play for Valpo again (short of future alumni games).  However, you get to keep those competitive feelings going with all of the adult/semi-pro leagues that exist nowadays in all sports.  These guys will move on to flag football for as long as they choose to play.  I continue to play old man baseball, including this Fall 2023 season with a Valpo baseball teammate that I hadn't played with in 20 years.  I figure that I have another 3-4 years, before I finally retire.  If you seek it out, you will get that fulfillment that all athletes seek, until you are truly ready to step away from the game.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

TX, I have a similar experience that I privately shared with Paul.  Mine was a season and career ending injury as a sophomore that  bothers me to this day.

At least these kids got to play all four years, but everyone wants to at least go out a winner after all the effort put into it.