• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

WSU's Sledge arrested

Started by wh, September 30, 2013, 06:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Tavares Sledge is facing 4 charges related to a domestic violence incident with his live-in girlfriend.  He has been suspended indefinitely from the basketball team.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crime-law/wright-state-basketball-player-charged-four-crimes/nbBYs/

LaPorteAveApostle

Live-in girlfriend?  Classy.

Should have told the police she was his sister, then they could have all sung "WE ARE FAM-I-LY"

HEYO

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

That hurts, losing Sledge makes WSU much less physical.  Without him I think they have a potential match up problem.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on September 30, 2013, 10:55:56 PMThat hurts, losing Sledge makes WSU much less physical.
I guess you're saying he brought the hammer?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Wow, a Peter Gabriel reference. 

Without Sledge their hold on the HL pre-season #1 position might be a little slippery...

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on October 01, 2013, 09:36:59 AMWithout Sledge their hold on the HL pre-season #1 position might be a little slippery...
Well-played!  Someone gonna hafta talk Coach Donlon off the (s)ledge...

a3uge

Quote from: wh on September 30, 2013, 06:39:21 PM
Tavares Sledge is facing 4 charges related to a domestic violence incident with his live-in girlfriend.  He has been suspended indefinitely from the basketball team.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/crime-law/wright-state-basketball-player-charged-four-crimes/nbBYs/

If this is how he treats his live-in girlfriend, I wonder what his relationship is with his take-out girlfriend.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on October 01, 2013, 11:02:22 AMIf this is how he treats his live-in girlfriend, I wonder what his relationship is with his take-out girlfriend.
HEYO here all week, folks tip your servers

(b/c they handle a lot of data here, right 04?)

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on October 01, 2013, 09:36:59 AM
Wow, a Peter Gabriel reference. 

Without Sledge their hold on the HL pre-season #1 position might be a little slippery...

So you're saying the head of their spike might be brought down a few notches and getting slightly hammered and not finishing on top.

wh

Sledge is sentenced:

http://www.wdtn.com/news/local/greene-county/wsu-player-sentenced-to-jail

I would like to think if he played for Valpo, he'd be gone in a heartbeat.  Beats on his live-in girlfriend, endangers his child, resists arrest, has a criminal record, faces incarceration, and puts a free ride college scholarship in jeopardy.  He needs a big dose of character rehabilitation, if he ever had any. 

LaPorteAveApostle

that's preposterous.  i'm all for second chances, but seems he's been given a couple already.

a3uge

"What I did over my Christmas break"

wh

This tells me all I need to know about WSU Director of Athletics Bob Grant:

http://www.theguardianonline.com/sports/2013/12/10/sledge-draws-support-from-university-leaders-after-sentencing/

We were ready to bring him back, but that darn jail sentence got in the way.

valpotx

I love it when someone states that someone is a good kid/person, yet they decided to raise their fists to a female.  Sledge is a pathetic excuse for a human being, regardless of what anyone will ever say in his defense.  The dude is huge, and I imagine that his GF is not even close to as big as he is.  How much of a complete pansy do you have to be in order to strike a woman, let alone one that is much smaller than you?!?!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Re:  WSU A.D. Bob Grant....another case of classless actions by another member of our conference that gives the H.L. another black mark.  This should make us proud of the quality people we have in our athletic program, from MLB to the coaching staffs.

LaPorteAveApostle

I wouldn't have thought it possible to come off worse in this situation than an abuser, but this AD sure takes the cake.

Not sure whether this is his ignorance or the student writer's; either way it also speaks poorly of this "school":
Quote"I am extreme angry," Grant said at a public Athletics Council meeting.
"We were going to let him play," Grant said. "We cannot practice him in good conscious with a pending jail sentence."
they totally deserve one another.

and their record.

in all senses of that word.

LaPorteAveApostle

Found this tweet from Paul Oren yesterday extremely disturbing:
QuotePaul Oren ‏@NWIOren 23h
Never met the guy, but have to love the support that @BobGrantAD gives to his athletes. Great ambassador. #HLMBB
Yeah, he means this guy (again not necessarily blaming the AD for all the syntax ignorance, just the sentiment expressed):
QuoteThe [19 whole days in jail for Sledge] sentence surprised Brush and Grant. "I am extreme angry," Grant said at a public Athletics Council meeting. "It is not an appropriate punishment. I am extremely unhappy." ...

"We were going to let him play," Grant said. "We cannot practice him in good conscious with a pending jail sentence."
And Grant was talking about this guy, let's recall:
QuoteAccording to a police report filed by WSU Officer Kevin Long, the victim, who the policed identified as Alaina McAuley, had blood on her shirt and had a small scratch on the left side of her eye following an altercation. The police report also stated that Sledge had locked himself in the his car upon the arrival of law enforcement and that the police had to break the windows in order to get Sledge out of the vehicle. Once police entered the backseat of Sledge's car, they found his infant son in the backseat with Sledge.
Here is an update:
http://www.theguardianonline.com/sports/2013/12/26/mens-basketball-sledge-reinstated-by-donlon/
QuoteSledge was originally arrested for domestic violence, child endangerment, obstructing official business, and resisting arrest. The domestic violence and child endangerment charges were changed to disorderly conduct charges that Sledge pled guilty to.
(And Grant thinks he didn't get a deal?)

Here, Paul, I'll fix it for you:
QuoteNever met the guy, but have to love the support that @BobGrantAD gives to his athletes convicts. Great ambassador apologist for abusers.

valpotx

Wow Paul, I know you were saying that you respect that he supports his athletes, but the wrong case to be referencing...
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

And Kampe would say that Sledge needs a compass adjustment "hammered" home. Kampe didn't grow up in the same tool shed. As long as  the earth's magnetic change doesn't happen on the day after Sunday.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

gerb

WSU fan here.
A lot has come out recently on the Sledge case. Unfortunately the Daily News is subscription based so i cant post the article (but you can buy a one-day online subscription for a dollar and find it there)
Basically it was an unfortunate situation that was mishandled by all parties involved from Sledge to his girlfriend to the cops to the judge. He's not innocent on all charges, but he plead guilty to the ones he unquestionably was, though it seems the child endangerment charge resulted from a combination of his non-action and the cops' action.  The anger from Grant and others comes not from his innocence or guilt, but from the bait and switch of the plea bargain. He wasn't going to serve any jail time, let alone 19 days. Even the jailers at the prison made appeals to shorten his sentence.
Not defending, condoning, or demeaning anything. Just informing you that more information has surfaced that may shed a different light on things for some.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: gerb on January 04, 2014, 11:25:27 AMfrom the bait and switch of the plea bargain
Clearly--some kind of deal had to have been cut for those charges to have been reduced from WAY UP HERE to down there.

But what people don't know or fail to understand is the amount of latitude a judge has.  Just because something was agreed to by prosecution and defense doesn't make the judge bound at all.

So cheers to the judge for smelling a rat.

I have a hard time imagining the president of ANY university (and his wife!) going to bat for a kid in the exact same situation when the kid can't dunk.

valpo64

I hope the slap didn't hurt their shooting hand

valpopal

Wright State reports Tavares Sledge has been released from the basketball team because of violation of team rules. I am not sure what he did this time, but I checked their web site, and Sledge has not only been dropped from this year's roster, but his name has also been removed from rosters for previous years, though he still appears in the team photos for each year.

LaPorteAveApostle

well, whatever it was, it was apparently worse than domestic abuse

valpotx

How can they remove someone from their roster from previous years, if they played?  Trying to make themselves look better by dissolving their association with him, with the latest issue?
"Don't mess with Texas"