• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

FLAMEOUT 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, January 24, 2014, 03:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 01, 2014, 10:08:23 PM
Not wanting to rub it in too much.

Just wanted rather to commiserate with Flames fans.

You see, it's been 47 days since they've seen a home win (Purdue-Cal).

It's been 319 days since they've seen a home win over a D1 opponent (Chicago St).

And since they don't really count either, it's been 334 days since they've treated people to a real honest good ol' satisfying win over the proverbial worthy opponent. (Cleveland St).

Nice stats.  Unbelievable. 

When watching our game against them.  I thought we were a lot better at every position.  We simply have better players, everywhere. 

Question is, will the flames have a new coach next year? 
CRUSADERS!!!

circle70

Will the Flames have a new coach next year?  No friggin' way!!!

Our moronic AD (who aggressively applied for, and was rejected, for the Milwaukee job) signed Moore for 3 more years when Moore still had 2 years left on his original contract.

I put a post out on the UIC board when Moore's contract was extended to the effect that you never extend a contract of a mid-major coach if he still has multiple years left.  It's a no-win situation.  If he does really well, he'll be gone to a high major program.  If he craps his pants, like now, the school is on the hook, in this case, for 4 more years after this season.  Mid major schools typically don't have the wherewithal to pay these guys off (about $1.6 to $2 million for Moore).

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: circle70 on February 05, 2014, 09:34:53 AMI put a post out on the UIC board when Moore's contract was extended to the effect that you never extend a contract of a mid-major coach if he still has multiple years left. 
Good point--almost always true.  (I would think Bryce one of the exceptions.)

So 4 or 5 Moore years?!? 

Moore is less!  etc.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

Would have been another buyout of a coach on taxpayer expense. Illinois is still paying Weber, Law, and Zook, and we're tired of it.

HC

UIC down 1 with about 13 minutes to play at Green Bay, c'mon Flames!

oklahomamick

7-0 run for GB.  Green Bay leads by 7. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Ref went out with an injury.  Its a 2-man crew and GB increased the lead to 10 points with 2:30 left.
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: HC on February 05, 2014, 08:23:07 PMUIC down 1 with about 13 minutes to play at Green Bay, c'mon Flames!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Now that GB is back to full strength and was playing at home, you have to wonder if they are the best team in the Horizon.  We pounded UIC on their home court.  Are we the best team?  We can be but at this point it still depends on which team shows up. It does seem that the mistake prone, very young, still learning to play together squad may slowly be relegated to the bench as the season progresses.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 05, 2014, 08:49:59 PMRef went out with an injury.
Why do bad things follow Brian Wardle around?

...wait don't answer that.  especially a3.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on February 06, 2014, 10:38:14 AMNow that GB is back to full strength and was playing at home, you have to wonder if they are the best team in the Horizon.  We pounded UIC on their home court.  Are we the best team? 
I watched most of the second half and was very impressed with their (UIC) play. They were very disciplined, used the clock, didn't turn the ball over and wound up finding decent shots which were going in. Should they continue to play like that I would expect them to come up with 2 or maybe 3 HL wins.

I do not think we are the best team yet but ask me again at the end of the month.

LaPorteAveApostle

As of 2/10/13
Record: 0-10 (2004 CSU 0-16)
(realtime)RPI: 302/349 (bottom 13.5%) (2005 YSU 1.8%)
Avg scoring margin: -9.4 (2005 YSU -13.2 ppg)
BEST CHANCE OF WINNING: 43% vs. Oakland
WORST CHANCE OF WINNING:  7% @ CSU
THING THEY ARE LIKE:  Said rock...beginning to gather moss instead of rolling?!?

Kyle321n

So I decided to look at how bad UIC was and what their RPI would be if they lose out.  RPI Wizard has them finishing with a 324 RPI if they lose out.  Ouch but not nearly as bad as 2005 YSU. This has a 14.42% chance of happening.

Another fun thing I thought I'd look at is if they lose out, what their RPI would be with different conference results

Lose out, win conf. championship: (7-25), 278.6 RPI, 0.10% chance of happening
Lose out, lose conf. championship: (6-26), 293.0 RPI, 0.04% chance of happening
Lose out, lose semifinals: (5-26), 308.0 RPI, 0.60% chance of happening
Lose out, win one game: (4-26), 321.0 RPI, 1.80% chance of happening
Lose out, lose their game: (3-26), 328.2 RPI, 11.97% chance of happening

Note the lose out and winning conference championship has the same record as winning 1 game in the regular season and losing in the conference finals, as well as winning 2 games and losing in the semifinals, as well as winning 3 games then winning one game in the tournament as well as winning 4 games and losing their first game. That's why it has a 0.10% chance of happening.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

oklahomamick

Don't want to start trouble, but if I was the AD at UIC and fired the coach, I would be looking at Roger Powell Jr. from Valpo.  He was a great player who played under a great coach.  Powell has been in a good program under a good coach.  He can recruit the Chicago area. 
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2014, 08:40:02 AM
Don't want to start trouble, but if I was the AD at UIC and fired the coach, I would be looking at Roger Powell Jr. from Valpo.  He was a great player who played under a great coach.  Powell has been in a good program under a good coach.  He can recruit the Chicago area. 

Speaking of helping struggling Chicago basketball programs, DePaul will probably be looking for a new coach soon. I think Bryce would do a great job there. He and Roger could divide the other assts. and hit the ground running. To speed up the rebuilding process they could lure our Illinois players away. I hear our administrative assistant is top notch too.

LaPorteAveApostle

I was really going to go all apepoopy on you until i read it again.

well done, wh.

*blood pressure slowly returning to normal

oklahomamick

Am I missing something here?  Would Powell not do a good job at UIC?  (heck, he would at least do a better job than current coach).  If I'm AD and I can't afford to pay big because I just bought out a contract, I'm looking at a young energetic coach that had success and demonstrated he can recruit Chicago/Illinois.  Sounds like Powell to me. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Roger would probably be a good catch for a lot of programs. I was just giving you a hard time for suggesting that the asst. coach of the team you support would be a great choice to head up one of our competitor's programs.  Seemed a little unusual but no big deal.

valpotx

I would highly doubt that Powell would leave for a program like UIC...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2014, 02:04:04 PMWould Powell not do a good job at UIC?

Maybe let's give them the Chapel of the Resurrection too while we're at it

oklahomamick

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 16, 2014, 07:38:28 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2014, 02:04:04 PMWould Powell not do a good job at UIC?

haha, I like that one. 

I'm with you guys.  However, he's good.  Other universities are going to notice it and come after him.  He may or may not be content with an assistant position.  The play-by-play announcer for Milwaukee said the same thing about Bryce.  Bryce is different as he's from Valpo, played for Valpo, father coached for Valpo and just signed a long term contract.  Bryce will not be leaving for Northwestern, Illinois, Tulsa or San Francisco.  Rex Walters did and one day Powell may too. 

After some success our Valpo soccer program have seen assistant coaches leave the program for higher pay and better opportunities at other DI schools.  Has this happened with other successful Valpo programs?   
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

As of 2/17/13
Record: 0-12 (2004 CSU 0-16)
(realtime)RPI: 309/349 (bottom 11.5%) (2005 YSU 1.8%)
Avg scoring margin: -9.8 (2005 YSU -13.2 ppg)
BEST CHANCE OF WINNING: 43% vs. Oakland
WORST CHANCE OF WINNING:  21% @ Milw
THING THEY ARE LIKE:  FULL SPEED AHEAD

LaPorteAveApostle

BONUS RPI FACTAGE

probability of auto-bid: 0.02%

probability of losing out: 13.53%

rpi if that happens: 329 (bottom 5.7%)

valpotx

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2014, 08:24:54 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 16, 2014, 07:38:28 PM

haha, I like that one. 

I'm with you guys.  However, he's good.  Other universities are going to notice it and come after him.  He may or may not be content with an assistant position.  The play-by-play announcer for Milwaukee said the same thing about Bryce.  Bryce is different as he's from Valpo, played for Valpo, father coached for Valpo and just signed a long term contract.  Bryce will not be leaving for Northwestern, Illinois, Tulsa or San Francisco.  Rex Walters did and one day Powell may too. 

After some success our Valpo soccer program have seen assistant coaches leave the program for higher pay and better opportunities at other DI schools.  Has this happened with other successful Valpo programs?   

Baseball obviously lost our HC to the University of Richmond for this season, and a few of the assistants received jobs at larger schools, with Coach Schmack getting the Valpo HC job
"Don't mess with Texas"