• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Skiing the Lower Peninsula of Michigan

Started by agibson, February 14, 2018, 01:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

I grew up downhill skiing in Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan, but now, from Valpo, the lower peninsula seems closer.

Anybody have any experience, and with it opinions, about the various options in lower Michigan?

I'm a relatively experienced skier, but my wife and kids (ages 9 and 11) have only been skiing a few times.

I could ask more specific questions (I'm currently looking at a couple of days this week... probably Friday-Saturday... and trying to navigate around some less than desirable weather, etc., etc.), but I'd be happy to hear people's general opinions.

If we even have any Indiana or Michigan based skiers on the board!

FieldGoodie05

North of Detroit around 45 miles are Pine Knob and Mt Holly.  Grew up skiing there with the high school ski team.  But the probably don't compare to northern WI.  Might be worth googling.

When I went home to Rochester MI it was 4-hours from Valpo going 94W to 69N to 75S.

I've heard Boyne Moutain is quite nice but have not gone.  Maps say 4hr 45 minute drive from Valpo.  This is more of a resort.

http://boyne.com/boynemountain

agibson

Yeah, I've heard general things about Boyne going back maybe 25 or 30 years. It seems kind of far afield, but for an overnight trip maybe it's not too far. Detroit area stuff had similarly seemed too distant to take seriously.

Swiss Valley seems to be the closest, about two hours from Valpo, and even in range for a day trip (I think the Union Board and VISA have one coming up, actually).

There seem to be a couple in the Kalamazoo area, like Timber Ridge and Bittersweet (2h15, 2h20).

Cannonsburg is more in the Grand Rapids area, at 2h45 or so.

Or, on the Wisconsin side, Alpine Valley seems to be about 3h, Cascade and Devil's Head more like 4h. I've skied often at those places, and maybe they're a little bigger than some of what I've mentioned in SW Michigan.

I can get some of the basics (number of lifts, number of runs, vertical drop, etc.) from web pages, but would be happy for any personal insight.

So, anything to say about Pine Knob or Mt. Holly? Your favorite? (Any memories of ski school?)

I'd been thinking just to try a couple more or less at random, so maybe Friday drive up and try Swiss Valley, stay the night some place, try some place else Saturday.

But, warm weather today, warm weather tomorrow - and rain in NW IN and SW MI Thursday afternoon, before cooling back down again on Friday. I figure I'm probably better off avoiding places that it's rained and re-frozen, so am considering driving a bit further (e.g. Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo, or maybe Cascade/Devil's Head in Wisconsin, or, yeah, at the same distance are your Detroit places). Could be drive up Friday, ski an afternoon some place, stay the night, ski another place on Saturday, drive home.

agibson

Caberfae and Cannonsburg were both lots of fun. Details on request. The kids had a great time!

It seem like most or all of the places are lit up well at night, and are open continuously through the afternoon, evening, and night. So, even with a 2h or 2h30 drive from Valpo a day trip (to Swiss Valley, Bittersweet, Timber Ridge, Canonsburg) could be a thing.