• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

M

I think there have been pretty justifiable reasons for the majority of our transfers...JO leaving is different.  Lottich and company have to be better at recruiting the guys we have in order to retain them.  It has become more and more difficult not to enter the fan transfer portal as I think someone hinted at earlier. 

valpotx

JO is the only surprise to me.  If he is just trying to transfer up, it is just another example of a mentality that I don't understand.  All of the big programs overlooked you, because they thought you played against crap competition, and instead of trying to beat those BS programs, you want to join them?  I would take such a thing as a slight, much like AP did.

This data from the NCAA website is pretty telling about the current generation:

That said, about 40% of all men's basketball players who enter Division I directly out of high school depart their initial school by the end of their sophomore year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo95

I asked this before, yet I still don't know how many of players who enter the transfer portal end up transferring, especially with the remarkable growth in the transfer portal numbers. Does anyone have any insight into those statistics?

If there is a coaching change, it is now pretty common for almost all of the players to enter the portal, then try to get "recruited" back to their existing school by the incoming coach.

It may also be that programs are far more careful with the behind the scenes "recruiting" of players and are encouraging them to put their name in the portal. In the past, the P5 coach  would have had an off the record phone call or two about transferring, either with the player or representatives. Now, a coach is expected to do more, and it would be hard to hide a string of text messages for example. Thus, the first thing the player is asked to do is enter the portal, with or without pulling the trigger on the transfer itself.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on March 22, 2021, 11:53:03 AM
Wow. Just wow. I don't know what to say. This is crushing.

https://twitter.com/nwioren/status/1374010128261865477?s=21

Well, '72, the last time we posted about JO we cited him as an example of players who choose Valpo for all the right reasons. Now he's gone (presumably). As someone who has been fiercely loyal to Matt, I will wait to see how our final roster shakes out before passing judgement, but admittedly I'm feeling uneasy at the moment.

justducky

Last straw for me. We have an issue and it needs addressed. I might enter the fan transfer portal if we do nothing.

valpotx

He's even Lutheran lol.  Not sure how Matt could have recruited a better fit for Valpo.  I will also be interested to see who ends up pulling their name out of the portal, once they hear from potential suitors.  Is there any reason why only Donovan Clay shows as being in the 247sports portal, or is there another link with the official portal? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2021, 03:30:01 PM
He's even Lutheran lol.  Not sure how Matt could have recruited a better fit for Valpo.  I will also be interested to see who ends up pulling their name out of the portal, once they hear from potential suitors.  Is there any reason why only Donovan Clay shows as being in the 247sports portal, or is there another link with the official portal? 

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2021

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on March 22, 2021, 10:35:44 AM
Breaking News: Valpo Fans consider entering the Transfer Portal. Asked to comment, a representative stated: "This is a difficult decision. I have nothing against Valpo. The community—students, faculty, athletics department, fellow fans, the pep band, the ushers, the Crusader, Culver's ice cream people, etc.—has been good, and any possible transfer of loyalty will be friendly. However, times change (even if the ARC hasn't) and circumstances certainly are different. The facilities may look the same as they always have, but this program does not resemble what it once was. Although there may be a physical departure, many fond memories will remain."

News Update: Learning about the restlessness of Valpo fans, and knowing the current poor economic state of the university, Matt Lottich and Luke Gore have decided the only route to success lies in rounding up their own transfers, seven tough gunslingers with deadly shooting and no-holds barred attitudes, to replace the seven players who have entered the transfer portal. Rather than develop talent from freshmen to seniors, the coaches will enlist the help of experienced mercenaries with expectations of future rewards to come to the rescue. A sneak peak video foreshadowing the Lottich/Gore plan was leaked to the press:

justducky

Quote from: justducky on March 22, 2021, 03:17:53 PM
Last straw for me. We have an issue and it needs addressed. I might enter the fan transfer portal if we do nothing.

I officially entered the fan transfer portal at 3:30 and by 3:35 had received offers from Oakland, Wright St., Southern Illinois and Grand Canyon.  :o Butler and Loyola have also expressed interest! I must be a hot commodity!

Chairback

I will not be surprised if we hear some "bad news" soon. 

vok22

Quote from: Chairback on March 22, 2021, 04:14:00 PMI will not be surprised if we hear some "bad news" soon.

What could possibly be bad news at this point.

mj

Quote from: Chairback on March 22, 2021, 04:14:00 PMI will not be surprised if we hear some "bad news" soon.

So what you're saying is that Krikke and Edwards are leaving? Or Keyondre Young has decomitted?
I believe that we will win.

NativeCheesehead

Cmon man, please don't post that kind of cryptic crap.

VUGrad1314

Isn't this kid a strong Lutheran or at least comes from a strong Lutheran family. I hate to believe that the mascot change had anything to do with this... but... Either way now we have impact FRESHMEN leaving the program after one year. This is bad. Very very very bad. And there's no way out of this for like 3 years. This extension was a mistake and is very likely to harm the program. I just hope the damage is reparable.

valpolaw

The scary part is will there by any more transfers? 

Have we ever had a player announce he was transferring and ended up staying?  I would think once you enter the portal you're pretty much set on moving on at that point. 

vu72

Quote from: wh on March 22, 2021, 03:05:49 PMWell, '72, the last time we posted about JO we cited him as an example of players who choose Valpo for all the right reasons. Now he's gone (presumably). As someone who has been fiercely loyal to Matt, I will wait to see how our final roster shakes out before passing judgement, but admittedly I'm feeling uneasy at the moment.

I'm truly perplexed wh, Of all the kids leaving JO would have been my last guess.  There is clearly trouble in paradise and it starts and stops with Matt.  The only hope, and last gasp for his time at Valpo is that he finds a Tank Hemphill to join the remaining guys.  At the moment we still have two starters back plus Goodnews, Connor, Zion and Eron plus a very talented group of freshman.  Add one inside, experienced guy and we could make a go of it.  If not, we lose Ben and others and the pitch forks and torches come out.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: Chairback on March 22, 2021, 04:14:00 PM
I will not be surprised if we hear some "bad news" soon.

In 1945 the Chicago Cubs were cursed with bad luck when the Billy Goat was banned from Wrigley Field, which became The Curse of the Billy Goat that lasted until 2016. Valparaiso has seemed to be cursed with bad luck since the university's banning of the inflatable Crusader from the ARC and now the mascot itself. Conspiracy theorists wonder: How long will The Curse of the Canceled Crusader last?

valpotx

Quote from: valpolaw on March 22, 2021, 04:59:56 PM

Have we ever had a player announce he was transferring and ended up staying?  I would think once you enter the portal you're pretty much set on moving on at that point. 

My guess is that Chairback is referencing Goodnews leaving?  That also wouldn't surprise me, as it didn't seem like he and Lottich saw eye-to-eye, unless he had various injuries throughout the season.

JFL entered the portal after his FR season and came back.  Hopefully, JO is salvageable, as that is a loss.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2021, 05:39:39 PM
Quote from: valpolaw on March 22, 2021, 04:59:56 PM

My guess is that Chairback is referencing Goodnews leaving?  That also wouldn't surprise me, as it didn't seem like he and Lottich saw eye-to-eye, unless he had various injuries throughout the season.

JFL entered the portal after his FR season and came back.  Hopefully, JO is salvageable, as that is a loss.

Just putting it out there that it's possible JO is transferring for personal and not basketball related reasons...

Seemed like he enjoyed his time at Valpo and Team, or at least as much as you could during a covid ridden season... could be a Clay Yeo situation of wanting to be closer to home. Maybe he moves To a school closer to home like Green Bay, Milwaukee or if Marquette hires Porter Moser, he recruits JO.

Just extremely disappointing. JO really developed during the 2nd half of the season.

When I said, I'm hot and cold on Lottich. It's hasn't changed. The guy can recruit but can't retain. Partially a college basketball problem. Partially a program issue. I don't know. I'm just exhausted of this era. Too many lows and not enough highs. Not enough accountability from an AD.

VUGrad1314

Loyola needs to keep winning so the rest of the MVC is distracted from what a dumpster fire Valpo has been and continues to be. Remember when so many of us Valpo fans were absolutely livid when they were chosen over us for the MVC spot that opened up when Creighton left? Yeah... Once again the fundamental difference is when they got here they got serious and committed and we didn't and we see the results. Loyola went from also-ran to juggernaut in a hurry while we are in danger of becoming the Fordham of the MVC.

VUSERF

At this point I would say that it does not matter if Lottich has been unlucky, if the college basketball landscape has conspired against him, or if he is just truly a terrible coach and leader.

He had his chance, it has not worked out, he needs to be fired and a new coach needs to be given a chance. Someone who can better navigate basketball in the '20s.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on March 22, 2021, 06:42:36 PMJust putting it out there that it's possible JO is transferring for personal and not basketball related reasons...

Not many reasons where I might give Matt a pass but this would be one. If not then my faith in Matt and loyalty to the program are at their ends. I am just not mentally structured to embrace any roster that completely turns over on a routine basis. I have to know players and watch their developments to maintain a ticket buying, ESPN following interest. If we are just another one and done collection of transfer mercenaries then I'm gone and others on this board will likely reach the same conclusion. Maybe I will go back to regular HS basketball viewing or limit myself strictly to the VU girls team (better program, better coach). Time for some soul-searching.

valpotx

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 22, 2021, 08:14:01 PM
Loyola needs to keep winning so the rest of the MVC is distracted from what a dumpster fire Valpo has been and continues to be. Remember when so many of us Valpo fans were absolutely livid when they were chosen over us for the MVC spot that opened up when Creighton left? Yeah... Once again the fundamental difference is when they got here they got serious and committed and we didn't and we see the results. Loyola went from also-ran to juggernaut in a hurry while we are in danger of becoming the Fordham of the MVC.

We have more wins in the MVC in our first 4 years, versus what Loyola did.  How is that committing to something more than what we have done?  They got a Krutwig, and that changed the program...
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Once again the fundamental difference is when they got here they got serious and committed and we didn't and we see the results.

When we got here, we committed....

We committed to the assistant coach, second assistant coach, ok third assistant coach to be our leader of a program that has had storied success.  Then we re-committed to the third assistant by giving an extension based on a 3 game rally in the MVC tourney last year. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 22, 2021, 11:49:33 PM
Once again the fundamental difference is when they got here they got serious and committed and we didn't and we see the results.

When we got here, we committed....

We committed to the assistant coach, second assistant coach, ok third assistant coach to be our leader of a program that has had storied success.  Then we re-committed to the third assistant by giving an extension based on a 3 game rally in the MVC tourney last year. 

What did Loyola commit with, outside of getting lucky with Krutwig, Custer, and Richardson, much as we did with Rowdy and AP?  Since the Final Four run, sure, but when they first entered the MVC?  Other schools were questioning why the hell they were added.
"Don't mess with Texas"