• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Official beer of Valpo Athletics

Started by usc4valpo, July 05, 2019, 08:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

We need cash for various athletic needs, so why not find a proud beer sponsor? Since Valpo has a German Lutheran heritage, how about Leinenkugel? The Leinie Center has a nice ring to it.

bbtds

If you're going to go with the Lutheran theme than you must go with the Thrivent Center. It is the only company with a Lutheran background that actually has a huge advertising budget. They actually have advertised in St Louis, Milwaukee and the Twin Cities at professional baseball stadiums and other professional sports stadiums

usc4valpo

We need to find a way to make money. Pampered Chef arena? and with no AC, we can nickname our gym the Dutch Oven!

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 06, 2019, 11:12:23 AM
We need to find a way to make money. Pampered Chef arena? and with no AC, we can nickname our gym the Dutch Oven!

Well, in that case maybe the Hot Pocket Arena and the Hilltop can be renamed Lean Pocket. Nestle (owns Hot Pocket brand name) would surely pay us something for that. :-)

usc4valpo

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt there some relationship with Valparaiso University and Anheuser Busch?

valpo64

Yes, as a lot of their products have been bought and consumed on our campus over the years.

FWalum

Quote from: valpo64 on July 07, 2019, 06:58:55 PM
Yes, as a lot of their products have been bought and consumed on our campus over the years.
I think that when I was there it was mainly Pabst on draft with mostly Heileman Brewery stuff in the fraternity beer machine "read former Pepsi bottle machine".
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu84v2

I remember some pretty bad beers from my college days...Stroh's, PBR, Blatz. Old Style was considered 'better'.

My fraternity also had a converted soda machine that was used for beer bottles. We stocked it with Rhinelander, which you could buy at Costas for about $4.50 per case. Profit from selling beer from the machine at 50 cents per bottle was pretty darn good.

And yes, the sheer number of liquor laws that we violated back then is staggering.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 07, 2019, 10:08:19 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt there some relationship with Valparaiso University and Anheuser Busch?

Yes, I just thought of who you are referring to. The Welcome Center money came from one of the Duesenberg brothers, I think maybe Mark, was a corporate lawyer for Anheuser Busch in St.Louis. That was before A-B was acquired by Inbev.

valpotx

Red Dog was the crap/cheap beer in my Valpo days
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

we need to find a corporate sponsor fast as we need cash to upgrade the ARC.

valpo64

Would love to see the "Thrivent Recreation Center" appear.

usc4valpo

Not a bad idea. That being said and seeing the trend, it is time to serve beer at games, and it has been successful at Drake to bring in revenue.