• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo History Trivia

Started by Just Sayin, October 23, 2019, 05:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

What was the name of that department store??? across from Rise N Roll on Lincolnway which was razed many years ago? It was set back from Lincolnway and the worn parking lot is still there.

vu72

Quote from: Just Sayin on October 23, 2019, 05:44:18 AM
What was the name of that department store??? across from Rise N Roll on Lincolnway which was razed many years ago? It was set back from Lincolnway and the worn parking lot is still there.

Miller Mart?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUfan

VUfan

Millers Mart bought a Bed there in 1970

M

bbtds

3D was where the Uptown residents park now, Millers Mart was where Dynasty Buffet & Cardinal Fitness are now. Actually the buildings were rebuilt on that property and it's possible Millers Mart was east further than both of where Dynasty & Cardinal are located.

bbtds

I believe the most popular building in that area was the Big Wheel restaurant located on the corner of Roosevelt & Lincolnway (a bank is there now) because it was one of the only restaurants near campus besides Greeks Pizzeria and the Orange Julius/Big Boy and Sambos/Brewskis/etc. on US Highway 30.

talksalot

O
Quote from: bbtds on October 24, 2019, 07:38:21 AMGreeks Pizzeria and the Orange Julius/Big Boy and Sambos/Brewskis/etc. on US Highway 30.
Orange Julius is the drink now sold at the DQ.  I believe you mean the Orange Bowl...

Prior to that was Barbouls ... which after the Orange Bowl became Kelseys that is now diagonally across the street and down a bit in the Walmart parking lot out lot.

Millers Market was the grocery store on the west end of the building now housing The Dynasty Buffet and Charter Fitness (and the vacant former realty office) and some of the Dollar store.  This was the best place to cash a check on the weekends when all of the banks were closed.

Miller's MART was the clothing / furniture store (where Santa sat in the throne on the landing half-way up the stairs).  That is now all of Indiana Furniture (and the vacant former liquor store).

Could talk about the other former structures on the southside of Lincolnway... Hoards Foodliner; "Homer Court", University Drugs (now home to Jimmy John's)  Hook's Drugs (Now home to St. Teresa's) and the VU Physical Plant structure, now on the site of Promenade.  The Donut Hut, now King Gyros..  those were the days, my friends... I thought they'd never end...

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on October 24, 2019, 04:57:40 PM
O
Quote from: bbtds on October 24, 2019, 07:38:21 AMGreeks Pizzeria and the Orange Julius/Big Boy and Sambos/Brewskis/etc. on US Highway 30.
Orange Julius is the drink now sold at the DQ.  I believe you mean the Orange Bowl...

Prior to that was Barbouls ... which after the Orange Bowl became Kelseys that is now diagonally across the street and down a bit in the Walmart parking lot out lot.

Millers Market was the grocery store on the west end of the building now housing The Dynasty Buffet and Charter Fitness (and the vacant former realty office) and some of the Dollar store.  This was the best place to cash a check on the weekends when all of the banks were closed.

Miller's MART was the clothing / furniture store (where Santa sat in the throne on the landing half-way up the stairs).  That is now all of Indiana Furniture (and the vacant former liquor store).

Could talk about the other former structures on the southside of Lincolnway... Hoards Foodliner; "Homer Court", University Drugs (now home to Jimmy John's)  Hook's Drugs (Now home to St. Teresa's) and the VU Physical Plant structure, now on the site of Promenade.  The Donut Hut, now King Gyros..  those were the days, my friends... I thought they'd never end...

You obviously have a much better memory than I although I do have a recollection all the places you mentioned. Those certainly were the days. Winning both in football and basketball more than not.

Just Sayin

Quote from: vu72 on October 23, 2019, 11:11:48 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on October 23, 2019, 05:44:18 AMWhat was the name of that department store??? across from Rise N Roll on Lincolnway which was razed many years ago? It was set back from Lincolnway and the worn parking lot is still there.
Miller Mart?

Incorrect. It wasn't Miller's which was on the corner by the current roundabout. It was west of that towards town before arriving at The Big Wheel. Like I said, it's directly across from the current Rise N Roll.  It was on the north side of Lincolnway and the old parking lot which is still there in bad shape is now behind the current newer parking lot for students. The business was set back quite a ways from Lincolnway. You have to be old as dirt to remember the name of this store. Someone knows. I think Valpo89 would know even though he's not old as dirt.

bbtds

Quote from: Just Sayin on October 25, 2019, 05:49:15 AM
Quote from: vu72 on October 23, 2019, 11:11:48 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on October 23, 2019, 05:44:18 AMWhat was the name of that department store??? across from Rise N Roll on Lincolnway which was razed many years ago? It was set back from Lincolnway and the worn parking lot is still there.
Miller Mart?

Incorrect. It wasn't Miller's which was on the corner by the current roundabout. It was west of that towards town before arriving at The Big Wheel. Like I said, it's directly across from the current Rise N Roll.  It was on the north side of Lincolnway and the old parking lot which is still there in bad shape is now behind the current newer parking lot for students. The business was set back quite a ways from Lincolnway. You have to be old as dirt to remember the name of this store. Someone knows. I think Valpo89 would know even though he's not old as dirt.

Danners Discount Department Store.

Otherwise known as 3D.

wh posted some pics of when the building was torn down.

Yes, I'm as old as dirt.

Just Sayin

That name doesn't ring a bell.  I will know it when I hear it.  But Danners is not it.

bbtds

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/valparaiso/major-changes-planned-at-vu-in-coming-years/article_d6b53ee2-1015-5d92-93a0-7c299947acda.html?mobile_touch=true

VU also is getting the former 3D building on the north side of Lincolnway as part of the hospital deal. Heckler said it will be torn down as soon as the money can be found to do it.

What property is the only lot that VU owns north of Lincolnway?

https://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2228.0

Just Sayin

3D or Danners Discount doesn't sound at all familiar to me. But that doesn't mean it isn't the building to which I'm referring. It may be my older-than-dirt memory. Did anyone own that building before 3-D?  And even though someone posted a google map link to where the building was, the link doesn't work.

The map below shows the open area directly behind Trail-In Liquors where part of that 3D??? was. It spanned farther west too. So if that's where 3D was and there was never a business located there before or after 3D, then I have to concede on the name. That name just doesn't ring a bell to me.

(select "aerial" view and zoom in)  https://www.bing.com/maps?q=google+map+valparaiso&form=EDGNB2&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&plvar=0&refig=6627ae2865d54404c6ef8d3364aaa8cc&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=google+map+valparaiso&sc=8-21&qs=n&sk=&cvid=6627ae2865d54404c6ef8d3364aaa8cc

FWalum

Quote from: Just Sayin on October 26, 2019, 10:51:39 AMAnd even though someone posted a google map link to where the building was, the link doesn't work.
As I did in the other Topic

Old 3D Building
Building torn down
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Just Sayin

Quote from: FWalum on October 26, 2019, 01:24:30 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on October 26, 2019, 10:51:39 AMAnd even though someone posted a google map link to where the building was, the link doesn't work.
As I did in the other Topic Old 3D Building Building torn down

That's it. Was 3D the original owner? Were their any other owners?