• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coronavirus

Started by Just Sayin, February 23, 2020, 09:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

It is official, the CBI basketball tournament has been cancelled for this year due to health concerns.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpopal on March 11, 2020, 11:49:17 AMIt is official, the CBI basketball tournament has been cancelled for this year due to health concerns.

Darn. Millions of fans around the country are going to be really bummed about this. They so much look forward every year to watch and attend this exciting  tournament. And just think about all of the television revenue that will be lost. It's a damn shame.

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusader05 on March 11, 2020, 09:40:52 AM43 tests given seems ridiculously low

How do you know that?

Just Sayin

New Cases Globally on the rise:

Open the graph on the bottom right to full screen to see the trends in new confirmed and new recovered cases:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

justducky

I self quarantined yesterday after coming down with a cough, fever and malaise. Better safe than sorry. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for you I have no reason to believe I have the virus so I will likely survive.
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 02:47:53 PM

Quote from: crusader05 on March 11, 2020, 09:40:52 AM43 tests given seems ridiculously low

How do you know that?

I heard 1000 this morning. Don't know if that is accurate either. From CNBC some of the holdup is that our test kit approval process is slower because of our regulations. Might be a spot where red tape could be cut.

Another tax cut ( I think 300 billion was floated) doesn't sound like the best fiscal stimulus response. The Federal Reserve is tasked with maximum employment while maintaining price stability. Perhaps congress should vote the size while actual spending targets are determined by a bipartisan group of economists directed by the Chairman Powell and his directors.

We are now officially in a pandemic and the 11 year bull market is now dying or dead. At the same time our projected trillion dollar deficit will steadily march up closer to 2 trillion. Are you folks ok with that? Are you folks holding 5 year or longer US Treasuries?

I was thinking about doing a little stock bottom fishing today but fortunately I talked myself out of it. Maybe with prices this low I need more of the discipline Just Sayin employs.

crusader05

It seems low because we know that this is contagious even when people are asymptomatic and that identification of those infected can help with containment. Other countries are doing massive drive up testing and it's been a pretty wildly reported story that we are way behind on testing

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on March 11, 2020, 12:42:43 AM
The Lutheran Basketball Association of America has cancelled its national tournament due to concerns of bringing middle school teams from all over the country to the Valparaiso University campus. I just received this news late this evening.

That's a terrible shame but certainly a necessary move. It also hurts Valpo a lot too both in recruiting students and monetarily.

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusader05 on March 11, 2020, 05:29:48 PM
It seems low because we know that this is contagious even when people are asymptomatic and that identification of those infected can help with containment. Other countries are doing massive drive up testing and it's been a pretty wildly reported story that we are way behind on testing

I get that other countries are spiking but we are not. I think this will taper off and much of the fear and hysteria is irrational and overblown. I could be wrong but I don't expect things to get significantly worse than where we are now. Spring is around the corner and viruses typically don't spread in warmer weather. I think it's stupid for the NCAA to prohibit fan attendance at the dance. The likely outcome of this will be to cancel the tournament. Boneheaded and gutless decision by the president of the NCAA today. 

vu72

The number of tests are low because we don't have them available,  The bigger problem is our incredibly small budget for health in our country. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Just Sayin

Quote from: vu72 on March 11, 2020, 06:42:23 PM
The number of tests are low because we don't have them available,  The bigger problem is our incredibly small budget for health in our country.

The President has called for significant increases for dealing with this problem and congress is working on a funding bill. 

justducky

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 06:23:47 PMI think this will taper off and much of the fear and hysteria is irrational and overblown.

Because this is new we have zero immunity to it. Figures today said 80 to 150 million Americans will be stricken before this runs its course. I've heard 1% mortality at least for us in the highest risk categories.

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 06:23:47 PMSpring is around the corner and viruses typically don't spread in warmer weather.

They believe or maybe are certain that this will not follow that pattern. Italy is a world outbreak hotspot (warm) while South Korea (cold) seems to be winning because they reacted quickly.

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 06:23:47 PMI think it's stupid for the NCAA to prohibit fan attendance at the dance. The likely outcome of this will be to cancel the tournament. Boneheaded and gutless decision by the president of the NCAA today. 

Or maybe they will look like cautious geniuses.

Just Sayin

Quote from: justducky on March 11, 2020, 08:04:34 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 06:23:47 PMI think this will taper off and much of the fear and hysteria is irrational and overblown.
Because this is new we have zero immunity to it. Figures today said 80 to 150 million Americans will be stricken before this runs its course. I've heard 1% mortality at least for us in the highest risk categories.
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 06:23:47 PMSpring is around the corner and viruses typically don't spread in warmer weather.
They believe or maybe are certain that this will not follow that pattern. Italy is a world outbreak hotspot (warm) while South Korea (cold) seems to be winning because they reacted quickly.
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 06:23:47 PMI think it's stupid for the NCAA to prohibit fan attendance at the dance. The likely outcome of this will be to cancel the tournament. Boneheaded and gutless decision by the president of the NCAA today.
Or maybe they will look like cautious geniuses.

Looking like a genius doesn't make you one.

talksalot

NBA just suspended all future games... watching the Dallas game on ESPN... Mark Cuban is saying all the right things.

justducky

NBA suspending season.More details will be coming. A player tested positive. Tom Hanks and his wife tested positive in Australia! Somebody the president came in contact with tested positive or is quarantined.

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 08:26:53 PMLooking like a genius doesn't make you one.

Not a genius but going forward I will be listening carefully to what VP Pence says and ignoring the president. Much better source of unbiased information.

Just Sayin

Quote from: justducky on March 11, 2020, 09:15:31 PM
NBA suspending season.More details will be coming. A player tested positive. Tom Hanks and his wife tested positive in Australia! Somebody the president came in contact with tested positive or is quarantined.

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 11, 2020, 08:26:53 PMLooking like a genius doesn't make you one.

Not a genius but going forward I will be listening carefully to what VP Pence says and ignoring the president. Much better source of unbiased information.

What has the president said that bothers you?

Just Sayin

Here is the transcript of tonight's address to the nation by the president. 

https://factba.se/transcript/donald-trump-remarks-live-oval-office-coronavirus-march-11-2020

You can't find anything in there that you like Ducky?  If not, you have a serious case of Trump Derangement Syndrome and you should self-quarantine.

wh

Trump doesn't know what he's doing, and the Dems want people to die so they can blame it on Trump. Why does everything always center on silly political spin??? I get that it's an election year but come on.

The fact is we have some of the most brilliant minds anywhere in the world working on this. The administration is working diligently. The CDC, private medical research companies, university medical researchers, etc. are working diligently. Emergency funding is being appropriated by Congress. I think it's a great collaborative effort, and the last thing I'm concerned about is anyone's political affiliation.

valpopal

As I hinted in a couple messages during the past week was likely to occur, Valparaiso University's decision to move classes online at least until April 12 has now gone public. https://www.valpo.edu/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR3W6LO_dPrkkQ_7N9Kj00rdlOAGT961aKuUd8dVthuiOMKaUVqY2hatGm4

Just Sayin

In Indiana since yesterday, the number of people confirmed positive increased to 12 from 10.

St. Joseph County's first positive testing. 1
Noble County 1

Just Sayin

In Indiana, the numbers have increased as follows

Total Confirmed Positive, From 10 to 12

New County: St. Joseph 1
Noble County: No Change 1
Adams County: No Change 1
Howard County: No change 1
Boone County: No change 1
Hendricks County: No change 2
Marion County: From 1 to 2
Johnson County: No change 3

JD24

Virtually every medically trained person I have spoken with, which include a number of family members, believes the actions in limiting large gatherings is warranted for a couple of reasons.

However, if you believe this is all an overreaction because you "just think" it is not that big of a deal (the virus that is) feel free to do so.

Just Sayin

Worldwide Confirmed Positive:

To Date 3/12/20 5am:

Mainland China 80.9k
Other               46.9
Total              127.8k
Recovered       68.3k     53.4%
Deaths              4.7k       .37% 3.7%

United States
Confirmed Positive: 1,323
Recovered                      8        .01%
Deaths                         38        .03% 2.87%

Just Sayin

Quote from: JD24 on March 12, 2020, 10:57:55 AMVirtually every medically trained person I have spoken with, which include a number of family members, believes the actions in limiting large gatherings is warranted for a couple of reasons. However, if you believe this is all an overreaction because you "just think" it is not that big of a deal (the virus that is) feel free to do so.

I don't need your permission to do that. But thanks anyway.

M

38 deaths out of 1,323 cases is just under 3% not .03%