• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coronavirus

Started by Just Sayin, February 23, 2020, 09:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on May 10, 2020, 10:58:36 AM
Georgia reports lowest number of COVID patients in a month

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia-reports-lowest-number-covid-patients-in-a-month

Georgia opened up before anyone else. Wasn't this predicted to be an unmitigated disaster?  Even President Trump was mad at their Governor. As someone who is anxious to see our country return to some sense of normalcy sooner rather than later, this is good news. But how will the moral narcissists react?

Moral narcissist: A liberal who projects moral superiority to discredit or dismiss conservative views. Moral narcissism is self-aggrandizing. It requires no personal evidence of adherence to high moral standards on the part of the claimant. It is pretense.

I agree with being smart while letting businesses open.  And imo Sweden has done its population a great service by not putting it in lockdown and causing panic (the same panic that prevents people who have had heart attacks from going to the hospital to get treatments that would've save their lives and a myriad of other health problems).

So please do not take this the wrong way but it was my understanding that we won't see the results of this opening for between 2 to 4 weeks when any current infections peek out.

vu84v2

Here is a great example of Fox News reporting only the information necessary to justify the outcome they want to make and a governor doing the same to promote himself (rather than projecting an honest view of what may be going on). Here are the facts that the story did not say:

-Georgia had their second highest day of reported new cases three days ago.
-Georgia's five-day running average show just a slight decline in daily new cases. (they totally miss that you need to look at running averages to reduce anecdotal judgements from only one or two data points).

I certainly hope that they really are seeing a major decline in Georgia and I do think that we need a more balanced and nuanced approach to opening. But reporting like this is just dangerous and grossly irresponsible.

FWAlum's post made such great points that we need to rely on data (which includes understanding assumptions like how much testing was completed) and rigorous analysis...and that we need to get away from political bias.

wh

What do you want to bet that if we double the testing, Trump haters will claim the spread is twice as bad?

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on May 10, 2020, 02:20:18 PM
What do you want to bet that if we double the testing, Trump haters will claim the spread is twice as bad?

Yes, it is called confirmation bias. People throughout the political spectrum have such biases and this prevents them from gaining additional data and information which might refute (of perhaps more strongly affirm) their preconceptions.

valpo64

Can't wait to see what the experts...medical/science/government both National and State/academia, etc. have to say when the Fall flu season starts.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 10, 2020, 03:57:31 PM

Yes, it is called confirmation bias. People throughout the political spectrum have such biases and this prevents them from gaining additional data and information which might refute (of perhaps more strongly affirm) their preconceptions.

Confirmation bias applies to honest differences of opinion among honest people. It does not apply to intentionally misrepresenting everything about someone because you despise them.

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on May 10, 2020, 11:25:33 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on May 10, 2020, 03:57:31 PM

Confirmation bias applies to honest differences of opinion among honest people. It does not apply to intentionally misrepresenting everything about someone because you despise them.

Well FoxNews, OAN and so-called media outlets with a strongly conservative bias have made a lot of money by making points that suit their own and their viewers' ideology and only showing data that supports their points (and intentionally omit data that might weaken the point that they want to make). More liberally oriented media does this too, but FoxNews were the kings of intentional misrepresentation and the others in conservative-oriented media are just trying to do even better with misrepresentation.

Tragically, the reported new Georgia cases on Sunday, May 10th were about 1,000 which is their second highest reported day since this all started. Should they lock everything down because of that?  No, they need to look at the data more closely to consider region, amount of testing versus other days, etc. - which should drive more refined adjustments to how and where they reopen. But I would bet that Fox News is not reporting this and the governor is trying to spin this, since both parties erroneously and dangerously tried to reach a conclusion from a single anecdotal data point.

valpo04

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 10, 2020, 11:39:53 AM

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/georgia-reports-lowest-number-covid-patients-in-a-month

Georgia opened up before anyone else. Wasn't this predicted to be an unmitigated disaster?  Even President Trump was mad at their Governor. As someone who is anxious to see our country return to some sense of normalcy sooner rather than later, this is good news. But how will the moral narcissists react?

Moral narcissist: A liberal who projects moral superiority to discredit or dismiss conservative views. Moral narcissism is self-aggrandizing. It requires no personal evidence of adherence to high moral standards on the part of the claimant. It is pretense.

I agree with being smart while letting businesses open.  And imo Sweden has done its population a great service by not putting it in lockdown and causing panic (the same panic that prevents people who have had heart attacks from going to the hospital to get treatments that would've save their lives and a myriad of other health problems).

So please do not take this the wrong way but it was my understanding that we won't see the results of this opening for between 2 to 4 weeks when any current infections peek out.

Sweden has a death rate of about 100 more per million than us, and it is significantly higher than its Scandinavian neighbors. I'm not sure that's doing their population a great service.

valpo04

Serious question...Why do you feel the need to add the second paragraph? Do you find that making sweeping generalizations, or attacking characterizations and misrepresentations makes for a better discourse or quality of discussion and debate? I don't.

wh

Quote from: valpo04 on May 11, 2020, 08:49:54 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 10, 2020, 11:39:53 AM

Sweden has a death rate of about 100 more per million than us, and it is significantly higher than its Scandinavian neighbors. I'm not sure that's doing their population a great service.

Quote from: valpo04 on May 11, 2020, 08:59:51 AM

Serious question...Why do you feel the need to add the second paragraph? Do you find that making sweeping generalizations, or attacking characterizations and misrepresentations makes for a better discourse or quality of discussion and debate? I don't.

This is your home, and you are a great host. Message received.

JD24

I hope the cases in Georgia are reduced over time but I think we need to be careful of declaring victory too soon anywhere. South Korea has had a flareup they are concerned about only within the last 24 hours and they've handled things about as well as any country to this point.

My own opinion is that much of the population has gone through a tough education over the past two months which was necessary in terms of how to help prevent (but certainly not eliminate) infectious diseases. The mere awareness as to how to not transfer an infectious disease by washing hands often, not touching our face, not standing on top of each other and even to the point of wearing masks in public in itself should drastically reduce cases from spreading over time. Cases of any infectious disease that is.

There was an article in Florida of how the population actually began to act prior to the Governor shutting things down which may have helped avoid more cases and deaths. This all judged by cellphone activity which has recently began to pick up. So that state will see how things go over the next two weeks now that Florida is being opened. This could lead us to look at what does "open" really mean. In Georgia as a for instance, does being open mean the population immediately ran back to "normal" as normal can be with the restrictions? It appears they did not. I don't think we really see the effects of truly being open until the general population is comfortable enough to go back to restaurants, stores, etc even at limited capacity which I don't think is happening at the moment...probably a good thing.

bbtds

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/local/georgia/heres-what-georgias-case-curve-looks-like-as-of-may-11/93-552bab15-8073-434f-967b-0c8be13b213c

At first glance, it looks like the trend line plummets in the last two weeks, but that's not really the case.

Recently, the state started backdating cases, graphing them based not on when they're reported, but when symptoms first began.

So, for example, if you get diagnosed with COVID-19 today but your symptoms started 10 days ago, the state will graph your case 10 days ago.

With that in mind, the state warns the data in the most recent 14-day window (in the orange zone on our graph) is subject to change.

That's because new cases could be reported in the days to come that would get backdated to 14-day period.

There are some who say we shouldn't even be showing the 14-day window since the data is likely incomplete.