• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2020

Started by M, March 08, 2020, 07:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

Javon opened up the conversation (after I imagine he was asked the question by a reporter) when he announced he is returning next year!  Here's where I put my confidence level on guys returning based on absolutely no knowledge.

He's Back: JFL, McMillan, Sackey, Robinson, Gordon, Krikke

50/50: Clay, Morgan, Lorange, Freese-Villien

Clay really played great and I could see where bigger programs may have got in his ear. Morgan didn't have much of a role, maybe that changes maybe it doesn't for next year. Siggurd and Emil never really had much of an opportunity. I don't see that changing much next season either. I could understand them looking elsewhere.

It'll be interesting to see where how the dominoes start falling, not just with Valpo but everywhere. Hopefully there will be a couple more tournament games in our future before things in this thread progress too far.

valpotx

Yes, Paul asked him kind of a leading question, not directly asking about his thoughts on a transfer, but JFL picked up on it.  It's hard to tell if his low key response was an affirmation of returning, but he did talk about getting strong/more tight knit going into next season, right after that affirmation.

i could see Siggy leaving, and maybe Robinson or Morgan.  I don't see any others leaving.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: M on March 08, 2020, 07:33:28 PMJavon opened up the conversation (after I imagine he was asked the question by a reporter) when he announced he is returning next year!  Here's where I put my confidence level on guys returning based on absolutely no knowledge. He's Back: JFL, McMillan, Sackey, Robinson, Gordon, Krikke 50/50: Clay, Lorange, Freese-Villien Clay really played great and I could see where bigger programs may have got in his ear. Siggurd and Emil never really had much of an opportunity. I don't see that changing much next season either. I could understand them looking elsewhere. It'll be interesting to see where how the dominoes start falling, not just with Valpo but everywhere. Hopefully there will be a couple more tournament games in our future before things in this thread progress too far.

Why on Earth would Clay go anywhere? He has all the playing time he wants He's looked to as a leader and he can play tons of games near his hometown. Plus he's on a good young ascending team in a good conference. Him leaving would be a big surprise.

mj

From the looks of it, this team was a cohesive unit and enjoyed playing with each other. I'd be surprised if major contributors transferred this off-season.

Siggy and Freese-Villien are probably the highest on the list of possible transfers based on their playing time and the fact that they're so far away from home.
I believe that we will win.

GoldenCrusader87

To me, some of those in question depend on whether they'd be eligible as graduate transfers.

1. Zion - no way he leaves unless he graduates and can immediately play elsewhere. Don't see him wanting to sit out again. Though I could definitely see him wanting to get more playing time. And, I think he deserves it.

2. Mileek - idk if he's going to graduate this year. Nonetheless - I don't see him leaving as Valpo has been good to him throughout his... methodical development and despite being arrested.

3. Siggy - I could definitely see him transferring and sitting out a year ... or playing overseas maybe.

4. Clay - I don't see him leaving. Valpo took a chance on him early in the process compared to others. He's an instant star. At least not until he'd be a graduate transfer. Seems like a gym rat - have a hard time believing he'd transfer.

5. Nick - only way he transfers is if can do so as a grad transfer and not bait out. Feels like we haven't seen his full potential.

6. Gordon - I don't feel he's gotten a fair shake thus far. If he could be an immediately eligible grad transfer, I could see him moving closer to his brother. But will likely stay.

7. Freeze - I wouldn't be surprised if he left, especially with the incoming freshmen and Krikke being a star in the making. We didn't get to see enough of him to gauge one way or the other.

8. JFL - it'll be interesting to see what he does in a year assuming he graduates with a year of eligibility remaining. Will likely depend on how this year goes.

9. Krikke - not leaving.

Anyone I'm missing?

SanityLost17

I hate it when people just assume there is a 50% of a player transferring because they played well.    Let's not speculate for no good reason.   It is annoying and will make for a long off season.   

As of now we have no reason to believe any major contributors are leaving.  IF and when a player gives us reason to speculate, we can talk about it then, otherwise we are just wasting valuable brain energy.   

I do agree about Robinson.  I think he is REALLY REALLY good and we didn't get to see his full potential because he was never the same after his back injury.  I want to see him back next year and healthy because he was definitely one of our 5 best players when he was healthy.

4throwfan

Looking at this from a purely numbers standpoint, on average, 3+ players will transfer from every Div 1 team in the country.  I think that we should view it as a positive accomplishment for the program if less than 3 transfer. 

Hoping and thinking that the deep run into the MVC tournament helps.

VUGrad1314

Lorange and Freese-Villen are two that I would almost say are likely to go following this season where they got very little playing time and their path to increased minutes doesn't look good. I would call Freese-Villen more likely to go than Lorange because it is easier to see Siggy's path to minutes. Other than that nobody jumps out except perhaps for Robinson and Gordon who can be grad transfers (I think). I hope they all stay though because I think they all have the potential to be good and valuable contributors.

valpo84

Question and don't feel like looking it up and maybe Paul or someone has the official rules handy:

Under the proposed new 1 free transfer rule (no sitting out a year), how does this impact players who have previously transferred and sat out a year (hence e.g., Robinson and Gordon).  Would they have the ability to freely transfer without having to sit?

Likewise, under the proposed rule, will the grad transfer rule be repealed as not needed, or will players get 2 free transfers?

Thus, speculating on transfers without knowing what system applies yet seems premature.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Valpofamfan

I'd be pretty surprised if Freese-Vilien leaves unless it's to go back to Europe as he's got a pretty good deal at Valpo with Engineering and D1 basketball

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Valpofamfan on March 09, 2020, 10:45:32 AMI'd be pretty surprised if Freese-Vilien leaves unless it's to go back to Europe as he's got a pretty good deal at Valpo with Engineering and D1 basketball

Kiser should talk to him about how good the basketball and engineering experience can be if he works hard and sticks it out!

nkvu

Coach made a point in the press conference after the game to say some nice things about Freese-Villien, about how he wanted to get him some more minutes but went with the hot hand, and how he never disappointed him when he did play.  If he did decide to come back and if he improves the way a lot of players do between their first and second years, he could give coach the option of occasionally playing two bigs at the same time, moving Mileek or Krikke to more of a stretch four position. Having more options to your offense and a bit more size around the rim on defense wouldn't be a bad thing, would it?

VUGrad1314

So is Lorange still hurt? I like Lorange and hope he stays.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 09, 2020, 11:04:50 AM
So is Lorange still hurt? I like Lorange and hope he stays.

Don't know but they are seeking a red-shirt.  Northern Iowa, Bradley, Missouri State and Indiana State all have one transfer listed as of today.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Wait who left each program? Can you fill me in?

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 09, 2020, 12:24:55 PM

Missouri State:  Tyem Freeman, FR 6'5" SF
                        Josh Hall, RJR 6'7" SF

Bradley:  Stephan Gabriel, FR 6'7" SF

Northern Iowa:  Shandon Goldman, 6'10" PF  Grad transfer

Indiana State:  Caleb Matthews, FR 6'4" SG

Drake: Samm Jones, RJR 5'11" PG
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Nobody sounds like a major blow. Glad it's not any impact players.

GoldenCrusader87

Is there a site where transfers get posted? Excuse my ignorance haha

Chairback

Honestly, is Lorange a Div 1 player?  I don't think so at all.   To me a player who should be at a Bethel type school.   

vu72

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 09, 2020, 12:53:59 PM
Is there a site where transfers get posted? Excuse my ignorance haha

Verbalcommits.com  Then click on "transfers".  Right now there are already 179 and that has gone up like 10 just today.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on March 09, 2020, 12:46:41 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 09, 2020, 12:24:55 PM

Missouri State:  Tyem Freeman, FR 6'5" SF

Bradley:  Stephan Gabriel, FR 6'7" SF

Northern Iowa:  Shandon Goldman, 6'10" PF  Grad transfer

Indiana State:  Caleb Matthews, FR 6'4" SG

Is any of this fresh news? Gabriel of Bradley was dismissed a good while back.

truth219

It wouldn't be the end of the world if any of our bench players transferred. I'd be open to getting a grad transfer to add to what should be a good team. Post player would be nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

4throwfan

Quote from: truth219 on March 09, 2020, 03:15:18 PM
It wouldn't be the end of the world if any of our bench players transferred. I'd be open to getting a grad transfer to add to what should be a good team. Post player would be nice

Not sure that I'd like to see Sackey or Krikke go.

truth219

Quote from: 4throwfan on March 09, 2020, 03:50:03 PM
Quote from: truth219 on March 09, 2020, 03:15:18 PM

Not sure that I'd like to see Sackey or Krikke go.
I was speaking about players that didn't have a role in our success this season.

valpo95

Can't we just wait a few days after a fun tournament run before sharing unfounded rumors about possible transfers?