• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Summer reading suggestions?

Started by 78crusader, June 18, 2021, 09:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

Looking for some reading suggestions for the summer from the well-read and diverse group on this board.  Thanks!

Paul

JBC1824

Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

wh

Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life
by Jordan B. Peterson
Just out. One of the most enlightening books I've read in a long time. 5-stars by thousands of reviewers. Apolitical.

StrengthsFinder 2.0
by Tom Rath
National best-seller for years. Argues that we should place less focus on shoring up our weaknesses, and accent our strengths instead. It dismisses the "you can be anything you want to be" cliche as counter-intuitive and personally defeating. It includes an access code to an on-line questionnaire that will reveal your top 5 strengths among 34 distinct strengths and give you advice on how to use them in your life and work. I have long used this with my employees to help them operate from their wheelhouse of strengths. Oh, and it's about as easy a read as you will come across. I highly recommend.

vu84v2

The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis. Story of two men (Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky) who pioneered behavioral analysis in the Isreali Defense Forces and then went on to careers in academia in which they fathered the field of behavioral economics. Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow is also very good as it has greater detail, but it is a tougher read.

FWalum

This was written 10 years ago, but if you haven't read it I highly recommend Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

The Transfer Portal, The Big Hole in the Game, by Mark Emmert

VU75

"Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure."  When Truman leaves office he loses Secret Service protection and his only income is an army pension of $112 a month.  So he "buys" a souped up car and with no press coverage he and Bess set off on a three week trek across pre-interstate highway America to attend a speaking engagement in New York.

valporun

Payton and Brees...how Sean Payton and Drew Brees produced winning football in New Orleans. Just something to while away some hours.

JBC1824

Reasons to Vote for Democrats: A Comprehensive Guide by Michael Knowles
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

wh

Christianity and Wokeness
How the Social Justice Movement Is Hijacking the Gospel - and the Way to Stop It

By Owen Strachan ยท 2021

Just out. One of the most enlightening books I've read (or more accurately "listened to") in many years.

historyman

How to Value Art: A Guide to Art Pricing & Appraisals

By taking into account its historical, aesthetic, and social context, you can determine a fair and equitable price for the artwork that reflects its true worth. Art valuation involves a deep appreciation for the cultural significance of art, as well as the economic and commercial forces that shape the
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

David81

OK, anyone up for an agenda-free book suggestion? 😜 The late David McCullough's The Wright Brothers is tremendous storytelling. Gets us way deeper than the K-12 highlight reel version of the brothers and their family. Also a fascinating story about the power of self-education and taking on well-financed inventors who were scrambling to be the first to fly with a motorized plane.

There's even an agenda-free, matter-of-fact story of inclusion. Guess who published some of the early first works of famous Black poet/author/lyricist Paul Laurence Dunbar?

It's a great book, one of McCullough's finest amid a career of writing rich stories about American history.