• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2017

Started by covufan, May 11, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M

covufan

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 16, 2017, 07:00:18 PM
Maybe the Peters family are unhappy this year and guided their family friend else where....

Not saying this happened only that its a possibility.  But again, I always look at things in the negative light.
He has only received 3 division 1 offers and only in the last 4-5 weeks!!  U r reading too much into this

Smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpo64

Things never cease to amaze me.  First  the Peters family name keeps getting mentioned in the Jubril thing and now it also comes up with respect to could it possibly be involved involved in negative recruiting.  Unbelievable.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpo64 on February 18, 2017, 09:46:28 AM
Things never cease to amaze me.  First  the Peters family name keeps getting mentioned in the Jubril thing and now it also comes up with respect to could it possibly be involved involved in negative recruiting.  Unbelievable.

Peters family has publicly commented too many times to count via twitter.  That's how they are involved grandpa.  But I agree 100% that negative recruiting is unlikely.  But it's ok for someone to ask what is on their mind.  This isn't only YOUR forum.  We are all VU fans, some with questions. 

I am glad to be a fan with you 64, but please stop being so critical of our questions.  Add value like you normally do.  We shouldn't have to defend ourselves for being inquisitive.  I look forward to years of fandom and fun byeplay on this board.  You guys are great.

valpolaw

Those dunks are impressive.  We need that kind of athleticism.

Valpo89

Valpo needs to keep an eye on Valpo High sophomore Brandon Newman.
He's been the best player on the court in the last two games (Crown Point and Chesterton).

VU2014

QuoteValpo needs to keep an eye on Valpo High sophomore Brandon Newman.
He's been the best player on the court in the last two games (Crown Point and Chesterton).

Just took a look at the his highlights from the last few games and he looks expressive. Nice euro-step, quick, agile, and can get to the rim. Didn't see a great looking jump shot though. Needs to develop a jump shoot if he really want succeed at the next level. Only a sophomore though.

Highlight clips if you want to take a quick look: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6329578/brandon-newman

Wouldn't be a bad idea for the coaching staff to start building a relationship with the guy to potentially gain a recruiting advantage down the road.

Only thing is that he's a hometown kid. A lot of times kids want to leave for college and get away from their parents and family. Could be an advantage or a disadvantage I guess depending on the kid. Also Northwest Indiana is weird. Native Indiana people tend to gravitate towards Purdue, IU and Notre Dame, because of the generational history of those schools athletics programs, etc. There are a lot of Valparaiso University fans in Valpo but not as much as you'd think there should be because the loyalty to Purdue, IU and ND run strong in Indiana.

valpotx

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 18, 2017, 10:39:07 AM
Quote from: valpo64 on February 18, 2017, 09:46:28 AM

Peters family has publicly commented too many times to count via twitter.  That's how they are involved grandpa.  But I agree 100% that negative recruiting is unlikely.  But it's ok for someone to ask what is on their mind.  This isn't only YOUR forum.  We are all VU fans, some with questions. 

I am glad to be a fan with you 64, but please stop being so critical of our questions.  Add value like you normally do.  We shouldn't have to defend ourselves for being inquisitive.  I look forward to years of fandom and fun byeplay on this board.  You guys are great.

Come on man, no need to call anyone grandpa.  Respect your elders.  'Old people' are the reason why we have the freedom that we do in the USA.  There is no greater generation than the generation that fought in WW2, so please don't mock people older than we are...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

FWalum

I will be going to the Columbia City vs Concordia Lutheran basketball game tomorrow evening February 24th to have a more recent look at Parker Hazen.  I have not seen him since last year when he was still playing with his brother.  CC is 5-2 in their last 7 games and 10-13 overall and seem to be starting to play together after a brutal start to the season which saw only one other returner with experience joining Hazen in the starting lineup for a new coach.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

QuoteI will be going to the Columbia City vs Concordia Lutheran basketball game tomorrow evening February 24th to have a more recent look at Parker Hazen.  I have not seen him since last year when he was still playing with his brother.  CC is 5-2 in their last 7 games and 10-13 overall and seem to be starting to play together after a brutal start to the season which saw only one other returner with experience joining Hazen in the starting lineup for a new coach.

Sweet. Let us know how he looks. Also let us know how his jumper looks. He's definitely an athletic forward and can throw it down but from what I've heard the jumper needs some work.

valpo64

FWalum we are anxious to hear your assessment of Parker Hazen after last night's game.  From looks of the box score,etc. it sounds like he played very well.  Now that we are dealing with Alec's injury and seeing what it's like without him, do you think that down the line Parker can step in and eventually be "the man"?

FWalum

Sorry for the delay, it was a very busy weekend with the game on Friday, my Godson playing in the Indiana Lutheran Schools Athletic Association state tournament being held in Fort Wayne, a retirement dinner for one of my wife's Ivy Tech professors, and my nephew in town with the VU Chorale which sang Sunday at Trinity English Lutheran Church.

Enough with the excuses - Parker Hazen had a nice game against Concordia scoring 23 points and collecting 13 rebounds in a winning effort.  That being said, Concordia is horrible this year (especially with their two post players on choir tour) and Columbia City is just average and would be horrible without Hazen.  Concordia played a zone most of the evening and CC (Columbia City) got off to a very slow start and seemed reluctant/unable to get the ball to Hazen in the middle in what was a very unimaginative and not very well executed zone offense.  PH missed 2 free-throws, but scored in the first quarter on a weak lob pass and lay in. The first quarter ended with Concordia playing one of its better stanzas all year ending up 12-6.  PH opened the second quarter with a nice 15 foot jump shot and CC seemed to loosen up a little.  PH had 9 at halftime, 15 at the end of 3 and finished with 23.  He was 3-6 from the free-throw line, made 3 of 5 jumpers missing a 3 and from 18 ft.  Obviously he rebounded pretty well and can bring the ball on the break and he made some very nice passes.  At times I felt he was too unselfish and could have been more dominant.

I said this earlier, after watching their game against Carroll, Parker is pretty athletic, but it is hard to see how his skill set translates to the 3, which he will play at VU, when his HS coach plays him as a VERY traditional 5.  He is put in few situations were he can create off the dribble or on the break.  This is why all the highlights we see are of dunks and moves to the basket of less than 15ft.  Mechanically and athletically he appears to have the ability to contribute significantly at the next level.  He is quick, a good jumper and has decent balance and footwork. As with most HS players he needs to mature and add some additional strength to a good frame.  The outside shot and free-throws need to improve some, but there are no significant form or mechanical reasons why they can not improve. Would love to see his intensity at a higher level on both ends of the court, but once again I think this has something to do with how he is used in this HS coach's scheme.  All in all I think he can fit in well at VU.

I sat in the CC section and talked to a number of CC people, who seemed to think I was from VU (maybe that was caused by all the VU basketball gear I was wearing  :-X).  I was listening to the Wright State game after the HS game was over, and some people asked it I knew the score. When I told them that VU was behind and that Alec was injured and not playing it was not long before Parker's parents came to me to get details of Alec's situation.  They were nice people and told me that Parker would be very upset to hear this news.

Here is the video of the complete game.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wOp1DOy2KhI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo4life

Quote from: VU2014 on February 18, 2017, 05:23:30 PM
QuoteValpo needs to keep an eye on Valpo High sophomore Brandon Newman.

Just took a look at the his highlights from the last few games and he looks expressive. Nice euro-step, quick, agile, and can get to the rim. Didn't see a great looking jump shot though. Needs to develop a jump shoot if he really want succeed at the next level. Only a sophomore though.

Highlight clips if you want to take a quick look: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6329578/brandon-newman

Wouldn't be a bad idea for the coaching staff to start building a relationship with the guy to potentially gain a recruiting advantage down the road.

Only thing is that he's a hometown kid. A lot of times kids want to leave for college and get away from their parents and family. Could be an advantage or a disadvantage I guess depending on the kid. Also Northwest Indiana is weird. Native Indiana people tend to gravitate towards Purdue, IU and Notre Dame, because of the generational history of those schools athletics programs, etc. There are a lot of Valparaiso University fans in Valpo but not as much as you'd think there should be because the loyalty to Purdue, IU and ND run strong in Indiana.

I worked with Brandon this past summer and assisted his AAU team (he played an age group up). His jump shot is not an issue, probably even a strong skill of his. I remember him winning a couple games in the summer almost by himself hitting contested 3's and at the rim. He is not asked to take many jump shots with the high school team. He is a great kid who is committed to taking his game to the next level and will be featured over the his junior and senior seasons at Valpo. I'd expect him to continue to improve and receive his fair share of offers. Couldn't tell you at what level but I'd love to see him at VU. I've seen him at a number of our games this season.

valpo64

I talked to one of the asst. coaches at Concordia H S regarding his assessment of Parker Hazen:  he had some good moves close to the bucket but didn't appear to be a big offensive threat or good outside shooter like AP... was not overly impressed with this one game look although overall he thought PH was a better than average player.  I have not seen PH play, but I must say I was surprised by the coach's comments.  But again, this was only a one game evaluation.  Time will tell.  Obviously  PH has impressed many in his past performances and also enough to be named to last year's Indiana State Junior all-star team.  It will be interesting to see how he impresses those choosing this year's Indiana All-Star Team.

valpotx

No one has mentioned on this topic that Sasha is going to Purdue.  I hope that it works out for him.

"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

QuoteNo one has mentioned on this topic that Sasha is going to Purdue.  I hope that it works out for him.

I hope gets a gets chance to play. Wish him luck.

If he doesn't get the playing time or in game court time he wants then I hope he doesn't just ride the bench. He's too good not see court time and not develop his game.

VU2014

QuoteI talked to one of the asst. coaches at Concordia H S regarding his assessment of Parker Hazen:  he had some good moves close to the bucket but didn't appear to be a big offensive threat or good outside shooter like AP... was not overly impressed with this one game look although overall he thought PH was a better than average player.  I have not seen PH play, but I must say I was surprised by the coach's comments.  But again, this was only a one game evaluation.  Time will tell.  Obviously  PH has impressed many in his past performances and also enough to be named to last year's Indiana State Junior all-star team.  It will be interesting to see how he impresses those choosing this year's Indiana All-Star Team.

That is a little concerning. I knew he wasn't exactly a jump shooter but you'd alway like to hear a few more positive things from a coach. I know the his team is pretty much him and a couple pick up game high school talents out there. I think PH will probably benefit greatly from professional coaching. Never expecting him to AP, but you'd like to see a guy who is 6'7"-6'8" and move around as well as he does for his size have decent jump shot to keep defenders honest. Versatility is always a strength. Coaches can prepare and take opposing players out of the game when they are one dimensional. PH is a pretty athletic and really moves well for guy his height.

VU2014

The JUCO athlete we offer to last week, Markus Golder made a monster high flying lob dunk a few days. Crazy hops.

https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3/status/835933465556074497

valpo84

As to Markus Golder, I thought North Idaho College rang a bell.  Former Valpo player Logan Jones transferred to North Idaho. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

M

Welcome aboard Markus Golder! Like that athleticism!!

VULB#62

Here is his Twitter feed announcing his commitment.  We have him for 3 years, right?

[tweet]837726088583327745[/tweet]

VULB#62

North Idaho website.  Marcus (#21) is featured skying in many of the pics headlining the MBB program.  NIC roster lists him as a 6-6 guard.  They go into the NWAC  post season 25-4 (13-3 [1st] in their NWAC division).  That should mean  a #1 or #2 seed.  Couldn't find season individual statistics yet.

MEN'S BASKETBALL: Cardinals win share of East Region title
02/25/2017

Top ranked North Idaho College avenged an earlier 98-95 loss to 3rd-ranked Walla Walla, beating the Warriors 88-75 to claim at least a share of the NWAC East Region title. The Cards can claim the title outright with a victory on Wednesday at Wenatchee Valley.

Three players recorded double-doubles for the Cardinals. Freshman forward Marcus Golder tallied 29 points and grabbed 13 rebounds, both game highs. Sophomore post Zaequan Satterthwaite was nearly perfect in his final regular season home game, scoring 24 points on 9 of 10 shooting from the field and 6 of 6 from the free throw line. Another sophomore playing his final game at Rolly Williams Court, guard Sam Dowd, continued his outstanding play, tossing in 13 points on 6 of 7 shooting while the NWAC's top assist leader dished out 10.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Cardinal defense was on its game again, holding the NWAC's 3rd-leading scoring team to 39% shooting from the field, 24% from beyond the arc, 16 points under their season average of 91.

vu72

Obviously very athletic.  What I've sen of his shot indicates that he generally shoots from a set position.  Not a catch and shoot guy at this point.  It also looked like he was being recruited coming out of high school by D2 teams.  I think this is why he went the JUCO route, hoping to improve his stock.  Based on the numbers he is putting up, he certainly did--gaining a Valpo scholarship.  Congrats to Markus!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015