• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

3/9/13, 7:30pm - ESPNU: Green Bay @ Valpo HL Tournament Game Thread

Started by valpo04, March 09, 2013, 05:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

The other late game winners that came to mind -- Lubos on the road with steal and bucket? And Buggy against Detroit coast to coast
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

chef

Lubos did hit a game winner at IUPUI from just inside the top of the key. It hit the front rim and crawled in.

Smj

valpopal

In addition to Rowdy, I have to give some recognition with a few of my photos to Matt and Kevin, who played unbelievably tough throughout the game.

Here is Matt with his mom just to his right looking as if she is praying for the shot.

Matt enjoying answering questions at the postgame interview.

Kevin gets hurt, and everyone wondered if this would be a repeat of his injury in last year's tournament.

Kevin leaves the court totally exhausted after the celebrations. He couldn't participate in the postgame interviews because he was already getting rehab treatment.

KL31NY

Quote from: valpo84 on March 10, 2013, 10:05:14 AM
The other late game winners that came to mind -- Lubos on the road with steal and bucket? And Buggy against Detroit coast to coast
How about B-Mac's New Year's Eve Miracle against Milwaukee? Half-court steal and a layup in the final seconds to defeat the Panthers
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

wh

Quote from: KL31NY on March 10, 2013, 11:50:50 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on March 10, 2013, 10:05:14 AM
How about B-Mac's New Year's Eve Miracle against Milwaukee? Half-court steal and a layup in the final seconds to defeat the Panthers

Good job of remembering, '84 and KL.  The Erik and Brandon plays were incredible.  To be honest, I don't remember the Lubos steal and bucket.  Could someone fill in the blanks on that one?

HC

Anyone notice the clock not start right when KVW grabs the missed ft? I'd say about a half second goes by with no clock movement. I still say he gets the shot away.

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 09, 2013, 05:52:48 PM
HL POY @ the half:  0-3, 1 reb, 0 ast, 3 steals

er...make that four stolen things in a week.

In addition to Ryan deserving the POY award, I also thought Kevin deserved to be on the first team. Minnerath is a very good player, but I thought Kevin added more on the court. In fact, in his post-game interview Coach McCallum made a point of saying the reason Detroit lost was because their two first-team players did not score. Therefore, after last night's game, I thought it appropriate to bring back this favorite photo:

chef

2002, at the Jungle. I'm struggling to remember how the last defensive possession went, but I think Lubos did get a steal off a deflection with about 15 seconds left. After a timeout, with the clock winding down, Lubos took a contested 18 footer just inside the top of the key slightly right of center. It was just short, but he got a friendly bounce to give Valpo a 74-73 win in overtime. As for Tonegel's shot, I believe it was measured at 77 Feet, as he released it from Valpo's FT line. Bryce also made a shot from his own FT line just before halftime of a Mid-Con Tournament game versus Eastern Illinois.

agibson

Quote from: HC on March 10, 2013, 12:57:32 PM
Anyone notice the clock not start right when KVW grabs the missed ft? I'd say about a half second goes by with no clock movement. I still say he gets the shot away.

I've not looked at it.  But, they seemed to mention it every time on ESPN.  And that they thought the shot went off in time anyway.

crusaderjoe

While not a game winner we should give a mention to Mike Jones' layup as the clock ran out against ND to tie the game in '88 and send it to overtime, which ultimately resulted in a Valpo win.  I thought the Anselm/Jones fast break was the most exciting play ever to happen at the ARC, until of course last night.

vusupporter

Don't forget Shawn Huff's 3-pointer to cap a 9-point comeback inside the final two minutes and send the final Oral Roberts home game to overtime, where we eventually won.

valporun

I was thinking Ivan Vujic's layup to beat ORU on a Saturday afternoon in January 2000 at the ARC.

chef

Some other buzzer beaters - These are off the top of my head, so I may have a fact or two off. In the OT year 1992-93 - Casey Schmidt hit a 3 to force OT at UIC. Valpo winning in double OT. A few weeks later, Lance Barker hit a 3 to force OT at WIU. Valpo won that game. In 1997, Craig Brunes hit a 3 at the buzzer to win at C. Connecticut St. In 1998, Jamie Sykes hit a deep jumper from the left wing at the buzzer to give Valpo a win over Pacific in Hawaii. A few months later, Bryce hit a coast to coast floater to beat Buffalo at the buzzer.

78crusader

Perhaps few of you will remember this, but in 1970 John Sears hit both ends of a 1 and 1 with no time left on the clock to beat (at that time one of our big rivals) St. Joseph's 85-84. 

Paul

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 09, 2013, 05:52:48 PM
HL POY @ the half:  0-3, 1 reb, 0 ast, 3 steals

er...make that four stolen things in a week.

STARTERS            M   FG   3FG   FT   OR   TR   A   TO   STL   BLK PF      PTS

R. McCallum, G   39   1-7   0-2   3-6   2   7   0   4   5   0   2   5

R. Broekhoff, F   35   8-13   5-9   4-5   1   6   4   3   1   0   3   25

"Stolen" is the correct term.

In case anyone is wondering if Sykes outplayed Ryan because he scored 6 more points, compare his entire stat line.

K. Sykes, G        39     11-20   4-6   5-7   0   5   6   3   2   0   2   31

SadersofthelostArc

Valpo Crusaders (MBB) vs. Butler 1/29/2011

Not a buzzer beater, but the shot at the 4:44 mark is one of the biggest in the last few years. 

I was at the Price game...amazing, amazing finish.

StlVUFan

Quote from: chef on March 10, 2013, 01:44:32 PM
2002, at the Jungle. I'm struggling to remember how the last defensive possession went, but I think Lubos did get a steal off a deflection with about 15 seconds left. After a timeout, with the clock winding down, Lubos took a contested 18 footer just inside the top of the key slightly right of center. It was just short, but he got a friendly bounce to give Valpo a 74-73 win in overtime.
Do I recall correctly that the final shot was off an inbounds pass from Berdiel with 1.4 seconds to go or something?  Also, if I'm not mistaken, didn't IUPUI jump out to a 20-9 lead in that game?

I vividly remember listening to that game.

chef

I don't remember it coming off an inbounds, but I'm not sure. Paul Oren might have the answer, because he reminds me from time to time that the call was "Valpo 74 IUPUI 73, the Crusaders escape from Indianapolis."

valpotx

Quote from: valporun on March 10, 2013, 02:29:36 PM
I was thinking Ivan Vujic's layup to beat ORU on a Saturday afternoon in January 2000 at the ARC.

That was a great game to watch.  If I remember correctly, it was actually a hook shot from just inside the FT line, and Vu ran down the court holding up his 'VU/Vu' signal (symbol for OK)  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: 78crusader on March 10, 2013, 02:53:52 PMPerhaps few of you will remember this, but in 1970 John Sears hit both ends of a 1 and 1 with no time left on the clock to beat (at that time one of our big rivals) St. Joseph's 85-84. Paul

I remember that play despite my being in 2nd grade at the time. I was sitting at mid court in the first row. Of course nobody wanted to sit there in Hilltop in those days because it was right on top of the action. Too on top because many players and basketballs would end up in our laps. I remember Wolfenburg falling on me one game. He was really sorry about it. I was a tough 2nd grader back then. I remember telling all my friends "Wolfy fell on me last night, it was great."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Kyle321n

Just looking at the replay, the clock didn't start until Ryan touched the ball.  That said it was 1.2 seconds when Ryan released the ball, so it was all good regardless.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on March 11, 2013, 03:09:02 AM
Quote from: valporun on March 10, 2013, 02:29:36 PM

That was a great game to watch.  If I remember correctly, it was actually a hook shot from just inside the FT line, and Vu ran down the court holding up his 'VU/Vu' signal (symbol for OK)  :)

You might be right about that, tx. After so many games over our 5 years at VU, the games, scores, game-winning shots, all seem to mesh together. It was a great shot though.

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

milanmiracle

I'd like to say how impressed I was with Ryan in this game. Not because he hit the game winning shot, because we all know that was great, but because he forced things a little bit when it was necessary. He hit some tough shots, but more importantly he took some tough shots. Ryan will have to play like that the rest of the way if Valpo's going to continue having success (define that however you choose). This team is better when he's just a tiny bit selfish.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado