• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Green Bay: Wed. Jan. 29 7 pm

Started by valpopal, January 26, 2014, 04:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Great memories, I remember screaming at home when the shot fell, sitting on the couch on a snowy March evening. Good times. Good times.

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on January 28, 2014, 05:07:36 PM
Great memories, I remember screaming at home when the shot fell, sitting on the couch on a snowy March evening. Good times. Good times.

I remember getting dizzy and light headed after that shot. The ARC was absolutely nuts and everybody stayed for several minutes after. Truly the greatest live sporting event I've ever been to by a longshot. I still vividly remember Kenny's 3 after the game was pretty much over and realizing we still had a small chance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

HC

oklahomamick

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 27, 2014, 08:03:23 PMlook dude, you think that we are SO POWERFUL that TWO LOSSES TO US will KEEP THEM FROM the dance?seriously?like the committee will deny a 26-5 team from a good mid-major an at-large.in fact they could make it with 25-6

I don't think we are SO POWERFUL that losing to us keeps GB from the dance.  In my opinion the committee doesn't rank HL high.  Detroit and Valpo both got 14 and 15 seeds the last two years.  Plus Green Bay's only signature win is against Virginia (not ranked in AP top 25 even though they are .5 out of 1st in the ACC). 

But seriously, I do think the committee will deny a 26-5 team from a good mid-major an at-large.  So does USA Today. 

Let's say the Phoenix get upset in the Horizon League tournament. Still NCAA-worthy? This is hypothetical, but Green Bay likely would have to go unbeaten the remainder of the regular season to attain an at-large bid. Based on recent selection committee decisions, the chances for the Horizon placing two teams in the tournament is bleak.

Consider last year: The same Wichita State team that reached the Final Four was on the NCAA bubble in early February following three consecutive losses. Two seasons prior, Wichita State was snubbed despite a 24-8 record and second-place MVC finish (14-4). It went on to become NIT champion. And Gonzaga, which has played in every NCAA tournament since 1999, was snubbed by the committee in 1998 despite a 23-9 record and win against then-No. 5 Clemson on its résumé.

Among the 10 greatest snubs in NCAA tournament history, seven were mid-majors.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/01/28/mid-major-radar-can-green-bay-make-the-ncaa-tournament-as-an-at-large-team/4963917/

Dude, Let's be patient and let it play out.  We maybe arguing for no reason.  But SERIOUSLY, you need to take into account the above and not just assume that GB gets in if they lose 3 HL games is a fact. 

CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

I agree with oklahomamick here. It's not really what a certain team on the bubble's record is but who they beat or who they are beaten by. So it almost always comes down to one certain game (especially for mid-majors) that they lose or win. If the Phoenix lose to a mediocre Valpo team it could knock them off the bubble and out of the tournament. When it comes to the selection committee's decisions the margins are that thin.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

well i'm not saying they'd be a lock either.  it would depend on how all the other chips fall.  it's still january.

but in fact, i analyzed the best records to get left out here some time ago:
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=995.msg18627#msg18627

anyway, here's the main problem:  if you're rooting against your own team (in college, where there's no draft pick to be upgraded) then you must be rooting for your coach to get fired (unless you're setshot, in which case you're rooting agin' your team in hopes they drop the sport entirely).

to hell with the hl getting two bids if i have to want my team to lose two or even one game to do it.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 28, 2014, 10:44:59 PMwell i'm not saying they'd be a lock either.  it would depend on how all the other chips fall.  it's still january. but in fact, i analyzed the best records to get left out here some time ago: http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=995.msg18627#msg18627 anyway, here's the main problem:  if you're rooting against your own team (in college, where there's no draft pick to be upgraded) then you must be rooting for your coach to get fired (unless you're setshot, in which case you're rooting agin' your team in hopes they drop the sport entirely). to hell with the hl getting two bids if i have to want my team to lose two or even one game to do it.
If Valpo wins the tournament who cares if Green Bay wins on the 29th. Valpo will be going to the tournament and they will be a 15 seed. Almost guaranteed.

In my own mind I want Valpo to win. If GB wins then I won't fret it and hope for better days in the second half of the conference season. GB is truly close to hosting the HL championship tournament already.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

It really depends on Gonzaga, Toledo, Wichita State winning their conferences... But then you also have CUSA up for grabs, an MWC upset against SDSU, or some random team in the SEC or A10 winning... It's so early to discuss bubble teams.

valpotx

Someone should show Vashil a tape of Samuel Dalembert.  I have been to several Mavs games this year, and I can't help but see a less skilled Vashil in Dalembert's game.  Both are lanky dudes with limited offensive skills, and good defensive skills.  Dalembert basically lives on the dunk/alley-oop and close hook shots/lay-ups.  If Vashil watches the tape, he will notice how quickly Dalembert goes up after receiving the ball near the hoop, to maximize the possibility of a made shot or foul.  He will also see how he keeps the ball high to keep guards from taking the ball away easily.  If he is given a realistic comparison, maybe he can maximize his last year with our school, and have a decent pro career overseas.  You can't create a Patrick Ewing or Hakeem Olajuwon in just a few years when someone has such little experience in the game, and limited skills.  I am pretty sure that Dalembert was also late to the game coming from Haiti, and only had so many years before he got to Seton Hall.  I would take a mini-Dalembert next year, a serviceable Center for what we need.
"Don't mess with Texas"

zvillehaze

Brown's status still uncertain ... http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20140128/GPG020101/301280438/Men-s-basketball-Shoulder-sprain-leaves-Brown-s-status-up-air-UWGB.  Read into it what you want, but certainly sounds like they're mentally preparing to be without him.   :twocents:

historyman

QuoteHe was injured after going up for a defensive rebound and getting hit by Detroit senior forward Evan Bruinsma.
Does anyone see the conspiracy theory that could be construed from how the injury occurred?

valpopal

"Does anyone see the conspiracy theory that could be construed from how the injury occurred?"

Rachel swears she had nothing to do with it:

LaPorteAveApostle

They're obfuscating, purposely.  Gamesmanship, obviously--they want us to have to prepare two gameplans both with and without him.

I don't blame them.  Life gives you lemons, or Titans give you a punch in the shoulder...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

jjmiller

It's official Alec Brown has ruled out for tonight's game. He had played every game since joining the Phoenix, a 3 1/2 year streak broken.

a3uge

Hopefully Wardle doesn't abuse his players too badly if Valpo pulls off the upset.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

The coach is injured as well.  He fell on some ice getting off the team bus.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Nice start.  Up by 10 at the 12 minute mark.  Dority 5-5. 
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on January 29, 2014, 06:53:58 PMHopefully Wardle doesn't abuse his players too badly if Valpo pulls off the upset.
QUOTE OF THE YEARRRRRRRRR

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Green Bay by 4 or so was the line.  Er, it opened at 4 and was at 2 by midday.

I didn't see it after Brown was out.

Gb just doesn't look good out there.  Valpo's sloppy at times, but playing some good defense and looking aggressive.

And, the back door cut has been working repeatedly!

What's next, a home run pass?

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 29, 2014, 06:59:33 PM
The coach is injured as well.  He fell on some ice getting off the team bus.

The very soil of Valparaiso is against them!

agibson

Crowd's pretty good for a work/school night.

Student section is... Disappointingly small, but pretty loud.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on January 29, 2014, 08:34:46 PMThe very soil of Valparaiso is against them!
Dude, we need you in the chat room.  You'd be tons of fun and normally you're at the game.

So.