• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have had it with the NCAA.  We have been screwed over on  more than one occasion, as have some other mid-major schools over the years.  They allow the larger schools to do whatever they want and then beat the h--- out of the smaller schools.  It doesn't make sense.  It is time for the big 5 conferences to go on their own with the present NCAA people running their tainted show.  Then the mid-majors can go on their own with fair treatment for ALL member schools.  This decision stinks to high heaven.  While not excusing JA,  this just is not fair to JA, the team  or VU.  Enough is enough!

VU2014

Honest Question:

Would the NCAA punish a player from a Power Conference school the same way? (take emotion out of it)

My Opinion: No, but 95% of other schools don't have the ethics, character and standards of Valparaiso University to report it in the first place.

I know that no one in the program would admit this/or comment publicly, but I wonder if they had a do over if the Team and Athletic Department would even self report the academic infraction to the NCAA to begin with.

Clearly the Team and Athletic Department took a firm stance against whatever Jubril did (my guess was he got unauthorized help an exam/paper or something) and originally gave a 50% game suspension (which is debatably overkill to many, in this scenario) and wanted to be super cautious so they reported it up the NCAA to possibly kiss some @$$ but NOBODY expected this would be the end result.

I think WH, mentioned this earlier, "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation." -Jerry Tarkanian

Great quote and some truth in it. Maybe we are Cleveland State and the NCAA basically is using us a warning shot to every other bigger school. I'm sorry but Jubril and our team got screwed here. The NCAA can be truly shameful and ignorant at times.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteI think WH, mentioned this earlier, "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation." -Jerry Tarkanian

Great quote and some truth in it. Maybe we are Cleveland State and the NCAA basically is using us a warning shot to every other bigger school. I'm sorry but Jubril and our team got screwed here. The NCAA can be truly shameful and ignorant at times.

Between the NCAA snub, the Keith Carter situation and now this, it's almost like the NCAA is going out of their way to derail a successful mid-major program. While letting UNC continue to compete for Final Fours several *years* into a full-fledged, university-wide academic fraud investigation. Hmm.

VU2003

How is it that the power conferences can somehow maneuver thru the compliance and rules issues unscathed yet we ,and schools like us get screwed?
Do the big schools employ big law firms to help the athletic department with these issues?
If so,why dont we?

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2003 on February 17, 2017, 05:21:41 PMHow is it that the power conferences can somehow maneuver thru the compliance and rules issues unscathed yet we ,and schools like us get screwed? Do the big schools employ big law firms to help the athletic department with these issues? If so,why dont we?
We don't generate the revenue the big schools do. So they can be more strict with the smaller ones to flex their power while not losing any of that money. This way they can point to something and say "See we take academic infractions seriously".

valpopal

Senior Night on Tuesday certainly has an interesting twist now!

wh

By running roughshod over Jubril and Valpo after Jubril admitted his guilt while Max continues to play changes the message from "Don't cheat" to "You shouldn't cheat, but if you do, DENY, DENY, DENY!" 

Make your accusers prove their claims, hire lawyers, take them to court, sue for defamation, claim discrimination, whatever it takes.

VUOR63

If the team really wants to stick it to the man, win the Horizon League, travel to the 1st round game of the NCAA tournament, warm up for the game and then walk off the court.

a3uge

The NCAA's money grab is the NCAA tournament. Without those other 250+ schools they ignore, they won't make any money. Nobody will. You'd think at some point they'd realize there's there's not going to be a successful NCAA alternative, and that having a backbone would make them a lot more money, since regular people have more ties to colleges that aren't named Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUBBFan on February 17, 2017, 05:31:04 PM

Quote from: VU2003 on February 17, 2017, 05:21:41 PMHow is it that the power conferences can somehow maneuver thru the compliance and rules issues unscathed yet we ,and schools like us get screwed? Do the big schools employ big law firms to help the athletic department with these issues? If so,why dont we?
We don't generate the revenue the big schools do. So they can be more strict with the smaller ones to flex their power while not losing any of that money. This way they can point to something and say "See we take academic infractions seriously".

Perfect world exists in our minds.  This is a microcosm of the real world.  Because we did things correctly there is no looking back over our shoulders.

VU2003

How do we know if we did"the right thing"

VU2003

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 17, 2017, 06:14:04 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on February 17, 2017, 05:31:04 PM

Perfect world exists in our minds.  This is a microcosm of the real world.  Because we did things correctly there is no looking back over our shoulders.

Who says we did things correctly?

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on February 17, 2017, 05:39:49 PM
By running roughshod over Jubril and Valpo after Jubril admitted his guilt while Max continues to play changes the message from "Don't cheat" to "You shouldn't cheat, but if you do, DENY, DENY, DENY!" 

Make your accusers prove their claims, hire lawyers, take them to court, sue for defamation, claim discrimination, whatever it takes.

Max wasn't involved. Exonerated after the first round of fact finding. Give him a break.

bigmosmithfan1

The big schools have tons of financial resources to not-so-subtly infer that they can tie the NCAA up in court for years if they so choose. They also have plenty of big-network media megaphones who will plead their case and put public pressure on the NCAA, to say nothing of thousands of fans lobbying as well. So the NCAA takes out their frustrations on mid-majors, who have none of those advantages.

EddieCabot

Quote from: a3uge on February 17, 2017, 06:12:53 PM
The NCAA's money grab is the NCAA tournament. Without those other 250+ schools they ignore, they won't make any money. Nobody will. You'd think at some point they'd realize there's there's not going to be a successful NCAA alternative, and that having a backbone would make them a lot more money, since regular people have more ties to colleges that aren't named Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas.

Well stated.  +1

justducky

I feel gutted and none of it has anything to do with our performance at Oakland.

Last week I thought we could be a great 11 or 12 seed. Tonight I am shifting into "wait till next year" mode. I don't want another NIT run, and without Jubril I don't see us having the depth or experience for an NCAA upset. If the team mentality mirrors mine I do not even see how they regain their mojo.

I need a drink.

valpocleveland

An 11 or 12 seed? I want what you're having!

justducky

Quote from: valpocleveland on February 17, 2017, 08:55:50 PMAn 11 or 12 seed? I want what you're having!
Hey the first went down real easy and I already feel better!  :thumbsup: You folks may want to join me and I hate drinking alone.

usc4valpo

I hate the NCAA, seriously, it takes this long to make a decision? If this were a corporation, they would be off the NYSE or Nasdaq.

justducky

Quote from: VUOR63 on February 17, 2017, 05:59:13 PMIf the team really wants to stick it to the man, win the Horizon League, travel to the 1st round game of the NCAA tournament, warm up for the game and then walk off the court.
Way off base. BUT if Matt, with his detailed knowledge of the mater, felt like playing only freshmen and walk-ons then I wouldn't even question him. Sometimes unconventional responses are the ones that get a little press.

Speaking of unconventional and press coverage we only have 11 voters on my Trump Duration Poll under the General Off Topic section. Come on over and voice your opinions on our next president, Mike Pence. How is that for a thread hijacking?  :cheers: I'm going to go get me another one.

What about #23 patches being worn by the team?

Smj

I fully support the team deciding not to play a game....   sometimes a statement is necessary.

(While I understand punishment for doing something wrong - I think stringing everyone along and then doing this is insane ....   maybe I will follow something else for a while....)

FWalum

I am sick of this messed up crap of a day.  I don't know how this can be happening when the aggrieved party ie. Valparaiso University says that it is satisfied that student athlete Jubril Adekoya, an athlete that graduated in 3 years as an honor student and is now in grad school, can resume play yet gets slapped by the NCAA with a full season suspension.  I am sick and tired of them saying they are for the student athlete when they are obviously only out to line their pockets and selfishly allow the pretense of "students" on teams.  They obviously don't know a student athlete when they see one. JA is suspended for basically the whole year while one of the following "student" athlete examples is back playing in as little as 3 games.  Tell me how this is fair.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/sean-miller-ncaa-extremely-fair-trier-case-012317?cmpid=feed:-sports-CQ-RSS-Feed
http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaab/ua/2017/01/19/questions-remain-allonzo-triers-nba-stock-and-ped-use/96782252/
http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/no-3-kansas-lifts-suspension-of-forward-carlton-bragg-020617?cmpid=feed:-sports-CQ-RSS-Feed
http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/suspended-usc-basketball-player-sindarius-thornwell-arrested-in-may-on/article_10426a86-c172-11e6-8820-b30b4ce2abd0.html
http://www.wltx.com/news/uscs-sindarius-thornwell-returning-to-team-following-suspension/381243562

This is also a bunch of horse manure: http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/6/5/8735807/north-carolina-basketball-academic-scandal-ncaa-2015
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

USC is a power 5 school and their punishment was undoubtedly more than what was committed. Penn State, North Carolina and Baylor got or will just get a slap on the wrist compared to USC

VU2624

Quote from: VU2014 on February 17, 2017, 04:54:51 PMHonest Question: Would the NCAA punish a player from a Power Conference school the same way? 

Yes