• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

QuoteTried to listen to the postgame but thanks to the annoying humming sound, I could only understand bits and pieces. Would someone mind sharing what was said about Jubril. Thanks.

Basically no official update. Lots of questions if Jubril is out for the year. Lottich responded: "I don't have a lot of information." On whether Adekoya is out for year. "I don't have a lot of information."

Questions about why Alec wore 23 for Jubril: https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/830622092848685056

Coach supported his decision. It was mention by someone that, "it has been a very emotional weekend." Makes you wonder if the team and maybe a media member of two may have been tipped off that the coaches and team know the NCAA's decision but nobody is making it public yet. Also may be why Alec wore Jubril's #23 in a show of support.

There was also a question or two about the Oakland game coming up and they mentioned that they'd like to steal one at their home court like they did to us earlier in the year. Also that it's easy to get up for those games. That's pretty much the gist of it.

M

I told Jubril after the game that I was hoping to see him back next week. He replied he was really hoping to be back.

Sorry it autocorrected to going earlier 😕

agibson

Quote from: VUBBFan on February 11, 2017, 11:11:36 PMAll he said was " I don't have a lot of information "

I think that's what was quoted on twitter. The wording in the audio was slightly different (here I'm being lazy and not re-cueing it to quote it precisely). It seemed clear to me that he was saying that he didn't have any information to _tell the media_. Worth watching for Shane's reaction.

hailcrusaders

"I don't have a lot of information for you, sorry." Repeated a second time when ML is asked whether Jubril is out for the year. The second time, Shane, who was looking down, smirked. Make of that what you will.
#CrusadersForever

hailcrusaders

Quote from: agibson on February 11, 2017, 09:23:44 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 11, 2017, 07:04:39 PMHe also said that the NCAA is holding Jubril out.
Was Todd any more specific? Out... Tonight? Pending investigation?

It was a brief mention as he was going over the starting lineups, something to the effect of "Alec is wearing number 23 tonight in honor of Jubril Adekoya, who has been held out by the NCAA" and then he moved on.
#CrusadersForever

M

Definitely was a typo...gonna go fix that!

agibson

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 11, 2017, 11:48:47 PMIt was a brief mention as he was going over the starting lineups, something to the effect of "Alec is wearing number 23 tonight in honor of Jubril Adekoya, who has been held out by the NCAA" and then he moved on.

Thanks. Interesting, if not so surprising, that he's willing to say that much.

valpopal

Alec's dad offers his view:

Jeff Peters One has to wonder what more could have been done.  Should have been done!

• Jeff PetersJubril's suspension has unfairly impacted entire team and no one has suffered more physical pain and added minutes than Alec.....

• Jeff Peters Jubril has been a teammate and brother to Alec for four years.  Proud of my son for standing up for him and making a statement......

wh

Quote from: wh on February 10, 2017, 09:34:31 PM
One thing is certain, thanks to privacy rules we will never know if negligence has played any part in this whole convoluted situation. Privacy is necessary; unfortunately, it sometimes provides cover for people who should be exposed or processes that should be changed.

My comment from yesterday about possible negligence seems to be supported by Alec's Dad's tweet. There is a definite stench in the air. I just don't know if it's coming from Valparaiso, IN or Indianapolis, IN. Right now, I wouldn't bet on one over the other.

usc4valpo

If the NCAA is making the ruling, then it would suprise me that the status of this incident would be so discreet.

If it is the NCAA, I hate them even more. If Alabama or Kentucky or Duke or Notre Dame has an incident like this, they blow it off. If it is Valpo or USC, they throw the chair.

agibson

And one other started it off from Mr. Peters

[tweet]830651017125564416[/tweet]

crusader05

The attitude currently coming out from the athletics department leads me to believe that it's the NCAA and they've reached the end of their leash. 

Rumors were that Jubril would be ready to play this week and then all of a sudden nope.  That, coupled with the first condoned show of frustration from the team/family members/coaches leads me to think the University is feeling pretty burned and is finally at a point where they can't hold it in anymore.

agibson

Quote from: crusader05 on February 12, 2017, 08:06:28 AMThat, coupled with the first condoned show of frustration from the team/family members/coaches leads me to think the University is feeling pretty burned and is finally at a point where they can't hold it in anymore.

Makes me wonder if the Athletics administration, the university, and the League are doing what they can/should to obtain a fair and expeditious process.

Maybe they are, and maybe there are reasons to do it quietly.

But, it makes me continue to wonder.

agibson

Quote from: crusader05 on February 12, 2017, 08:06:28 AMRumors were that Jubril would be ready to play this week and then all of a sudden nope

For a change, it seems like I read about these rumors in the newspaper first, rather than hearing them here. Where were they circulating? Unless I missed them (the GB or CSU threads I was avoiding?) did they -not- foe through the message board?

oklahomamick

Why can't our university just make a public announcement that we are waiting on the NCAA? 

Other schools would have. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpolaw

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 12, 2017, 09:24:53 AMWhy can't our university just make a public announcement that we are waiting on the NCAA? Other schools would have. 

I agree.  Some sort of clarity would be much appreciated.  We've been left with nothing but our own speculation since he first became suspended.  This weekend didn't help any either. 

crusadermoe

Such a draining issue for everyone. How in the hell can it drag on this long with no resolution?  It must be killing Jubril.  I forgot how close we are to Senior Night. What does he say that night?

The press conference was pretty glum, but I can't imagine that he players could know anything final yet.  There is no way in this twitter age among young guys that any final news would be shared with them last night.   

valpopal

Clearly, the frustration reflected on this board has been felt fully by the team. The decision by Alec to wear Jubril's number seems to be a signal something must be done, or at least an official statement must be made, and so he chose to step forward. Obviously, Lottich has been instructed not to say anything. When asked repeatedly about Jubril, the coach somewhat artfully said twice: "I don't have a lot of information." He could have shared what information he does have, but chose not to do so. When asked if he authorized Alec to wear #23, Lottich deflected by responding, "Alec has made great decisions his entire career." Lottich's facial expressions and body language did not communicate a coach delighted with a winning game. Instead, he looked uncomfortable during the post-game conference. He is in a difficult position, especially as a first-year coach.

Add to this that Alec—the team's star player, team leader, and a future hall of fame representative—has expressed unhappiness and frustration, and as his dad commented, has been worn down and distracted by the situation. Alec even spoke out about being kept from practicing against his will last week, an odd way to phrase the fact that he was being given time to rest. Alec's dad also hinted that the rest of the team feels they have been unfairly affected. You could see Shane's smirk when Lottich gave his non-answer to the questions about Jubril. The whole situation is complicated by the end of the season as the team tries to hold first place and with the looming likelihood of Sorolla sitting out two games, not to mention the upcoming tournament.

The university has released a superficial statement a while back that Adekoya is a student in good standing and remains with the team. He apparently practices with the team and is seen encouraging his teammates from the opening introductions and throughout games. Finally, another sticky situation is approaching. If this does not get resolved, how does the team handle Senior Night, especially when the players and Coach Lottich address the crowd? How uncomfortable will it be, particularly for Jubril. Something must be done before then. I hope the university has indications Jubril will be allowed to play before then and we see him back on the court. However, if Jubril continues to be held out of games, and Lottich has been instructed to remain silent, it is up to the Athletic Director to make a definitive and comprehensive statement.

With the suspense and drama of past seasons—whether or not the team will win the regular season and bring the tournament to Valparaiso—taken away by the Horizon League, at least we have the suspense and drama of this soap opera situation.   

VULB#62

Does anyone have a handle on whether, if Jubril is exonerated but loses the entire remainder of the season, he would be granted another season (or half a season) of eligibility?

I specifically qualified this with exoneration.  I seriously would doubt any eligibility would be extended by the NCAA if the findings went against him. And what if his suspension, while this was all going on, was over and above what the NCAA would normally impose?  Can he ever get those lost games back?

But going back to exoneration.  If he was to be exonerated and wasn't granted an extra year, wouldn't that be grounds for a pretty hefty law suit by both VU and Jubril?

[FYI NOTE:  Jubril has appeared in 9 of 26 games so far and, if he doesn't become eligible by the end of the season, those 26 games would, at a minimum, extend to 32 games (the remaining 5 regular season games plus at least 1 game in the HL tournament)]

vu84v2

Not much to add to the comments above, but I think that a high class player like Alec Peters making the visible statement of wearing Jubril's jersey and Lottich (a) allowing it and (b) reinforcing that Alec has always made good decisions indicates that the basketball program (which has a strong history of ethical behavior) feels that they are being wrongly treated (likely by the NCAA).

valpolaw

I wonder if phone calls, emails, etc to the athletic department and/or NCAA about jubrils situation would be helpful to add some more pressure to those involved in holding out on this decision. The length of time it has gone on is ridiculous. I can't imagine why it would take that long to make the decision whether that's for or against jubril

justducky

I'm pretty sure most schools would have given the extortionist the clean job recommendation he was wanting and completed the rest internally. Not us--- that would be dishonest. So we may have taken the NCAA into completely new and unchartered territory. Have they ever before had to investigate an inner city honor student who graduated in 3 years, for his actual admission of receiving (some?) unauthorized help? There has to be something really BIG here-right?

Matt probably thought this was minor and as a precaution invited a closer look, but with the NCAA in charge I expect every non-scandalous detail to be uncovered even if it takes 12 months to clear him-us of any significant wrong doing.

My hopes for any meaningful post season success have evaporated. Shifting into "wait until next year" mode is not going to be easy.  :(

The Skara decision was difficult to take. The Carter eligibility ruling was a real head scratcher. Now this! 

oklahomamick

I know it's different parts of the country, but does anyone remember the Bozz.  Hat would the Bozz do in this situation.....Boomer Sooner
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: valpolaw on February 12, 2017, 11:58:50 AM
I wonder if phone calls, emails, etc to the athletic department and/or NCAA about jubrils situation would be helpful to add some more pressure to those involved in holding out on this decision. The length of time it has gone on is ridiculous. I can't imagine why it would take that long to make the decision whether that's for or against jubril

I think phone calls, letters, or email from stakeholders (alumni, ticket buying fans, etc.) to the Athletic Director's Office or the basketball office could be reasonable. Expressing frustration, concern for the player, etc. Wanting to know what's being done, what the plan is going forward, etc. Who they should contact if basketball or the AD has no power here.

We heard about one reasonably productive exchange, in person, with the Athletic Director. I don't know how many have tried formal communication vs. venting on social media.

They're not our elected representatives, but I think there can be some accountability here. The President's Office could also be an option.

If they want stakeholders to start a letter-writing campaign or a phone bank aimed at the NCAA, that could probably be a thing.

crusader05

Sometimes I wonder if this has less to do with what Jubril did and more to do with what maybe the investigation uncovered. Like if this was a long standing arrangement that happened last year as well. That could implicate past team members and even Bryce. I kinda feel like Jubril is the sacrificial lamb in this whole thing, maybe as an attempt to pacify the NCAA for not coming down harder?