• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: justducky on February 12, 2017, 12:32:37 PM
I'm pretty sure most schools would have given the extortionist the clean job recommendation he was wanting and completed the rest internally. Not us--- that would be dishonest. So we may have taken the NCAA into completely new and unchartered territory. Have they ever before had to investigate an inner city honor student who graduated in 3 years, for his actual admission of receiving (some?) unauthorized help? There has to be something really BIG here-right?

Matt probably thought this was minor and as a precaution invited a closer look, but with the NCAA in charge I expect every non-scandalous detail to be uncovered even if it takes 12 months to clear him-us of any significant wrong doing.

My hopes for any meaningful post season success have evaporated. Shifting into "wait until next year" mode is not going to be easy.  :(

The Skara decision was difficult to take. The Carter eligibility ruling was a real head scratcher. Now this!

Jubril went to a Tinley Park high school (Andrew).  Unless I'm missing something, that's hardly inner city.  I know the school, have two buddies who graduated from there.

VU2014

QuoteSo we may have taken the NCAA into completely new and unchartered territory. Have they ever before had to investigate an inner city honor student who graduated in 3 years, for his actual admission of receiving (some?) unauthorized help? There has to be something really BIG here-right?

Not necessarily. The NCAA is a giant unaccountable bureaucracy. NCAA does not care about the institution of Valparaiso University, its athletics department, its basketball team, its alumni or its fans, so there is no pressing issue for them to resolve the issue in any sort of timely or professional manor. The people that be over at the NCAA are more concerned about themselves and the big time $ making athletics programs that keep the cash cow humming. Plain and simple we just aren't their top priority and most likely don't particularly care if they are showing a complete lack of professionalism.

I also think there may be a reason Athletic Department and Coach Lottich don't want to publicly speak up about the situation, because they don't want to upset the NCAA by pinning the blame on them (even if it is their fault for the dragging on of the process). I could see why the AD and Coach wouldn't anger them because the whole school and athletic department needs to be in their "good graces" down the road. So the lack of a formal and more enlightening statement could be to help protect the programs future teams.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on February 12, 2017, 02:45:27 PM
The NCAA is a giant unaccountable bureaucracy.

I'm not sure if I buy it. Presumably the NCAA is made up of its member colleges and universities. Yes, there may well be some realization of the reality of where their revenue comes from. That it's not equally from all sports or conferences or schools.

But, committee memberships, NCAA offices, etc. are held by folks from all kinds of conferences and all kinds of schools, right?

I've not looked much at the NCAA bureaucracy. But, I bet there _is_ a mechanism for accountability.

Maybe that mechanism is really slow, or appropriately quiet. But, it would be nice to have some explanation, and to know that what can be done (by VU people, Horizon League people, etc) is being done. That our student, our player, our team, our university is getting what's fair, or at least what's due. And that the process is being examined, now and for the future.

Maybe VU feels like it's up to its eyeballs, and there is some big scandal that's been simmering here for the last weeks/months, and that vulnerability explains the speed and silence. But, it sure would be easier to swallow with some explanation.

NativeCheesehead

Go read up on Mark Emmert and his history as an administrator and tell me if that gives you confidence.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2013/4/3/4176742/mark-emmert-ncaa-president-usa-today

And this is just one article.  Bottom line is this: the NCAA exists to protect the profit machines that are D I Football and the men's Basketball tournament.  Everything else simply does not matter (including the MBB regular season)

JPEven

Quote from: valpolaw on February 12, 2017, 11:58:50 AMI wonder if phone calls, emails, etc to the athletic department and/or NCAA about jubrils situation would be helpful to add some more pressure to those involved in holding out on this decision.

Probably would do more good than my spirited but likely futile #LetJubrilPlay twitter campaign...

Does the torch still do a letter to the editor section?  That used to be a semi effective way to get the students worked up and, now that university finally lets them publish digitally, it might go a long way towards getting the alumni involved. 

It seemed to be a pretty good tactic when we were at the university, but, then again, my roommate was the editor of the torch, so....

JPEven

Quote from: justducky on February 12, 2017, 12:32:37 PMThe Carter eligibility ruling was a real head scratcher.

Well, the Carter decision was rough, but it hinged more around SLU.  SLU refused to redshirt Keith at the time (played him for a few games and then still wouldn't even though under the minimum).  Also, recall, we brought him into games at the semester even though we knew there was a potential issue - our choice.  To get the NCAA to rule in his favor, it would require them to  exert influence over SLU.  As much as neither would help (a 2 or 3 loss team), having the NCAA dictate to a small school like SLU would, in the long run, be a disservice to us.  We got the raw end, but at least the NCAA isn't running every school's process.  It's just enforcing.

We got a better deal with Vashil because it involved an international professionalism issue.  It didn't involve another NCAA team...

FieldGoodie05

To me, it's clear that coach has played Jaume anticipating the NCAA ruling that time served is enough.  Coach has probably expected he was going to be cleared to play in our last two games.  Now since that hasn't happened, we run the risk of having to lose Jaume for two critical games.

That's a big roll of the dice.  But if we take care of business against OU, this tactic could hurt less.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 12, 2017, 06:22:02 PM
To me, it's clear that coach has played Jaume anticipating the NCAA ruling (on Jubril) that time served is enough.  Coach has probably expected he was going to be cleared to play in our last two games.  Now since that hasn't happened, we run the risk of having to lose Jaume for two critical games.

That's a big roll of the dice.  But if we take care of business against OU, this tactic could hurt less.

a3uge

To me, it's clear that coach has played Jaume anticipating the NCAA ruling that time served is enough.  Coach has probably expected he was going to be cleared to play in our last two games.  Now since that hasn't happened, we run the risk of having to lose Jaume for two critical games.

The NCAA won't enforce something like that. It's a school rule and they can do whatever they want there - like last time when they sat Hammink out for a few non D1 games. Considering the circumstances (he's legally able to drink in his home country), I doubt the university pulls the rug out from under the program.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: a3uge on February 12, 2017, 06:52:15 PM

The NCAA won't enforce something like that. It's a school rule and they can do whatever they want there - like last time when they sat Hammink out for a few non D1 games. Considering the circumstances (he's legally able to drink in his home country), I doubt the university pulls the rug out from under the program.

Jubril was expected back in the last two games.  He is not back yet.  We anticipate a two game suspension for Jaume WHEN Jubril is cleared by the NCAA.

My point is I think Coach was anticipating the NCAA clearing Jubril.  At that point we can sit Jaume.

If we wait too long WE HAVE PROBLEMS.

M

Isn't the punishment for Jaume's wrong doing up to the coach? I thought the 2 game thing was maybe just Bryce's way to punish that offense.

VULB#62

Could someone please refresh us on exactly when we knew FOR SURE that it was in the hands of the evil empire (NCAA)?

a3uge

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 12, 2017, 07:02:01 PM

Jubril was expected back in the last two games.  He is not back yet.  We anticipate a two game suspension for Jaume WHEN Jubril is cleared by the NCAA.

My point is I think Coach was anticipating the NCAA clearing Jubril.  At that point we can sit Jaume.

Nobody has to punish Jay... nor should they, outside of running extra laps at practice. This isn't an NCAA matter.

justducky

Quote from: agibson on February 12, 2017, 03:14:37 PMMaybe VU feels like it's up to its eyeballs, and there is some big scandal that's been simmering here for the last weeks/months, and that vulnerability explains the speed and silence.
In no way have I gotten a sense that Matt, Alec or Jubril felt his admitted transgression (of whatever) should have open up a detailed and lengthy investigation into the entire program. To the contrary all seem mystified that there is as yet no resolution. As a betting man my money would be wagered that not MUCH (SYSTEMIC CHEATING  :o :o vs unauthorized assistance) happened in the first place and that Matt found out and reported every major detail. Any takers? Or do you want better odds? If I die broke, oh well, because it sounds like the percentage play.

valpopal

A former Valpo coach adds his opinion:

Will_Phipps Jubril owned his mistake. This ridiculous unfair punishment does not follow similar precedent. @ValpoU & @ncaa embarrassing themselves badly

Jeff Peters
@jpetersfamily
Jubril's suspension has unfairly impacted entire team and no one has suffered more physical pain and added minutes than Alec.....

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 12, 2017, 07:09:48 PM
Could someone please refresh us on exactly when we knew FOR SURE that it was in the hands of the evil empire (NCAA)?
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 12, 2017, 11:26:52 AM
Does anyone have a handle on whether, if Jubril is exonerated but loses the entire remainder of the season, he would be granted another season (or half a season) of eligibility?

I specifically qualified this with exoneration.  I seriously would doubt any eligibility would be extended by the NCAA if the findings went against him. And what if his suspension, while this was all going on, was over and above what the NCAA would normally impose?  Can he ever get those lost games back?

But going back to exoneration.  If he was to be exonerated and wasn't granted an extra year, wouldn't that be grounds for a pretty hefty law suit by both VU and Jubril?

[FYI NOTE:  Jubril has appeared in 9 of 26 games so far and, if he doesn't become eligible by the end of the season, those 26 games would, at a minimum, extend to 32 games (the remaining 5 regular season games plus at least 1 game in the HL tournament)]

Sorry for being a pissant on this reposting of my thoughts,  but these two questions need to be answered in this string so that we can discuss this knowledgeably and continue an effective dialogue going forward. Otherwise we are being swept further into a whirlpool of speculation.  If the answers exist, please just cite them and we are done.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on February 12, 2017, 07:16:01 PM

Nobody has to punish Jay... nor should they, outside of running extra laps at practice. This isn't an NCAA matter.

I could not agree more. The administration needs to stop piling nonsense on top of nonsense and move on.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on February 12, 2017, 08:01:48 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 12, 2017, 07:16:01 PM

I could not agree more. The administration needs to stop piling nonsense on top of nonsense and move on.

I'm AMAZED at how easily the general feeling has changed.  I expect a minimum of a 1 game suspension and so did many of you.

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 12, 2017, 07:58:23 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 12, 2017, 11:26:52 AM
Does anyone have a handle on whether, if Jubril is exonerated but loses the entire remainder of the season, he would be granted another season (or half a season) of eligibility?

I specifically qualified this with exoneration.  I seriously would doubt any eligibility would be extended by the NCAA if the findings went against him. And what if his suspension, while this was all going on, was over and above what the NCAA would normally impose?  Can he ever get those lost games back?

But going back to exoneration.  If he was to be exonerated and wasn't granted an extra year, wouldn't that be grounds for a pretty hefty law suit by both VU and Jubril?

[FYI NOTE:  Jubril has appeared in 9 of 26 games so far and, if he doesn't become eligible by the end of the season, those 26 games would, at a minimum, extend to 32 games (the remaining 5 regular season games plus at least 1 game in the HL tournament)]

Sorry for being a pissant on this reposting of my thoughts,  but these two questions need to be answered in this string so that we can discuss this knowledgeably and continue an effective dialogue going forward. Otherwise we are being swept further into a whirlpool of speculation.  If the answers exist, please just cite them and we are done.
No.
No.
No
No
And all of us pissants welcome a fellow pissant's questions, comments and opinions.  ;) The only thing we lack around here is good answers and we are all waiting for the GODS to appear above so we can ponder their wisdom.

FieldGoodie05

Blind justice is wrong, but we aren't alike to other universities.  We recruit young men who are skilled in both bball and being good christians.  I'm not active in the Lutheran church, but VU attracted me and many others as a place or morals.

I'm a giant pessimist and probably a bit vulgar at times, but I completely disagree with sweeping his punishment under the rug.  And I don't think coach will do that. 

Hope Jubril is back at OU and that soon thereafter it's a 1-2 suspension for Jaume.  All respect Jaume, but you live by the rules of the country you're in.  I did it in Japan for three years while classmates did not, they were punished justly to Japans laws.  One was even deported for marijuana use.

GREAT future for Jaume, but it's a learning experience to receive just punishment for breaking the law.  No matter how small.

agibson

Quote from: M on February 12, 2017, 07:05:16 PM
Isn't the punishment for Jaume's wrong doing up to the coach? I thought the 2 game thing was maybe just Bryce's way to punish that offense.

I believe the timing is at coach's discretion (don't know if he can stretch it next season) but that the punishment is not.

VU rules
http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/25DB7CED-4D9B-4222-9BBD-C8C98E935FD0/2016-17_SA_Handbook.pdf
Not sure if they're madanted/expected by the NCAA.

I'll let someone else quote chapter and verse, but because of the criminal charge, unless he disputes it (pleads not guilty, more or less?), it's two games.

agibson

For Jubril, I think that we don't know officially.

But people increasingly close to the program have been letting it slip out in increasingly public ways.

valpolaw

The tweets by Will Phipps cast more shade on how those in charge are handling this situation.

As far as Jay, he likely had 2-3 beers, big deal. I agree with the prior comment made about making Jay run laps or something to punish him in lieu of punishing the team for what he did by holding him out.

a3uge

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 12, 2017, 08:31:06 PM
Blind justice is wrong, but we aren't alike to other universities.  We recruit young men who are skilled in both bball and being good christians.  I'm not active in the Lutheran church, but VU attracted me and many others as a place or morals.

I'm a giant pessimist and probably a bit vulgar at times, but I completely disagree with sweeping his punishment under the rug.  And I don't think coach will do that. 

Hope Jubril is back at OU and that soon thereafter it's a 1-2 suspension for Jaume.  All respect Jaume, but you live by the rules of the country you're in.  I did it in Japan for three years while classmates did not, they were punished justly to Japans laws.  One was even deported for marijuana use.

GREAT future for Jaume, but it's a learning experience to receive just punishment for breaking the law.  No matter how small.
There's a US law that states a player has to miss 1-2 basketball games if found guilty of underage drinking?

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on February 12, 2017, 08:35:21 PM
Quote from: M on February 12, 2017, 07:05:16 PM

I believe the timing is at coach's discretion (don't know if he can stretch it next season) but that the punishment is not.

VU rules
http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/25DB7CED-4D9B-4222-9BBD-C8C98E935FD0/2016-17_SA_Handbook.pdf
Not sure if they're madanted/expected by the NCAA.

I'll let someone else quote chapter and verse, but because of the criminal charge, unless he disputes it (pleads not guilty, more or less?), it's two games.

So, I guess the smart thing would be to plead "not guilty" and have a lawyer request a court date after the season, then change the plea to "guilty" at that time, and serve the 2-game suspension during a couple of meaningless games at the start of next season.