• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jubril Adekoya and the Honor Council

Started by usc4valpo, December 30, 2016, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

QuoteAlec's sister posted up a pic in instagram of Alec posing with Jubril. A couple of very interesting comments below that picture.

QuoteLink?

I believe this is the Instagram post you were referring to? It's actually his Mom's Instagram post, not his sisters...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQZxjhVB-Sb/?taken-by=4apeters

Comments in the post:

vle10758, Wonderful picture

krieg_timPlus, Jubril and his mom are always at the games. Regardless of what's decided, nobody can ever take away their loyalty and dedication. Loyalty and dedication aren't measured by years of eligibility, and the #NCAA doesn't have the power to take them away - #freejubril

jpetersfamily (Alec's Dad), Unfortunately the way this was handled has promoted people to consider the direction of dishonesty first. Tell the truth=don't play rest of season. Cover it up=play the rest of your season. Sad days for college athletics.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 14, 2017, 09:51:32 PM
Wow. This suspension has turned this board salty.

Just would have thought you included the very comments you reference is all.

M

crusader05

Sounds like a shot at the NCAA.

We know Valpo self-reported so yeah. It really sounds like the team and maybe administration is feeling pretty burned for being responsible and trying to handle this appropriately while other schools hide way worse  :censored: and still get to play.

Valpo Joe

Valpo wants to play big time NCAABB and wants National recognition. Can not be done when the playing field isn't level. Either be happy as the mid-major that Valpo is or change their way of handling situations like this.  :twocents:

vu72

Quote from: Valpo Joe on February 15, 2017, 08:34:09 AM
Valpo wants to play big time NCAABB and wants National recognition. Can not be done when the playing field isn't level. Either be happy as the mid-major that Valpo is or change their way of handling situations like this.  :twocents:

And tell us how you would "change their way of handling situations like this"??  Enquiring minds want to know!  Perhaps hiding facts or lowering academic standards would help us to the next level!  Works well for Duke, Stanford and Georgetown!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: M on February 15, 2017, 06:33:22 AM
Was that a shot at Max? 😱

No. The NCAA and the lucrative business of men's college basketball.  Max is fine.

And, BTW, great Instagram post in all respects.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpolaw on February 14, 2017, 01:39:15 PM
Any thoughts on the possibility of seeing Jubril play Friday?  Seems like it may never happen at this point but who knows. 

Please try and stay on topic.

agibson

[tweet]831981076734173192[/tweet]

So it's now "distractions" and "the situation". I guess euphemisms are a step beyond "no comment".

wh

IMO Alec's Dad's comment "...one has to wonder if something more could have should have been done" is clearly an indictment of Valparaiso University, not the NCAA. Not even a close call. It's not a comment someone would make about the decision itself. It's what someone would say about their attorneys doing a lousy job after they were found guilty.

Not that anyone would care, but this has me steaming mad. If not for this whole cluster fxxx, we would likely be 24-2, ranked in the Top 25, #2 Mid Major, undefeated in conference, sitting 9th or 10th in bracketology, bigger crowds, national recognition, Alec with better stats, not beat up physically and emotionally, and even higher in the mock drafts, and higher level recruits considering Valpo instead of somewhere else.

This is a transitional year for this program. It could have been a great one, one for the ages, and one that elevated Valpo basketball to heights never seen before. Instead, we're more like a fighter who's run out of gas and hanging on for dear life until the bell rings, hoping we'll win by decision. No matter what happens, this season will never be what it could have been or should have been.

I'm not a an alum, and as much as I love Valpo basketball and even raised my family to love it, I don't have blind allegiance to Valparaiso University. If this administration has mishandled this situation in any way at all, on top of the blantant disregard it has had to commit finances to bring the ARC into the 21st century, they will have committed the unpardonable sin. Again, not that anyone will care about one family pulling its support, but Im simply stating how completely egregious this situation has become to me. 

a3uge

Quote from: wh on February 15, 2017, 06:52:25 PM
IMO Alec's Dad's comment "...one has to wonder if something more could have should have been done" is clearly an indictment of Valparaiso University, not the NCAA. Not even a close call. It's not a comment someone would make about the decision itself. It's what someone would say about their attorneys doing a lousy job after they were found guilty.

Not that anyone would care, but this has me steaming mad. If not for this whole cluster fxxx, we would likely be 24-2, ranked in the Top 25, #2 Mid Major, undefeated in conference, sitting 9th or 10th in bracketology, bigger crowds, national recognition, Alec with better stats, not beat up physically and emotionally, and even higher in the mock drafts, and higher level recruits considering Valpo instead of somewhere else.

This is a transitional year for this program. It could have been a great one, one for the ages, and one that elevated Valpo basketball to heights never seen before. Instead, we're more like a fighter who's run out of gas and hanging on for dear life until the bell rings, hoping we'll win by decision. No matter what happens, this season will never be what it could have been or should have been.

I'm not a an alum, and as much as I love Valpo basketball and even raised my family to love it, I don't have blind allegiance to Valparaiso University. If this administration has mishandled this situation in any way at all, on top of the blantant disregard it has had to commit finances to bring the ARC into the 21st century, they will have committed the unpardonable sin. Again, not that anyone will care about one family pulling its support, but Im simply stating how completely egregious this situation has become to me.

NativeCheesehead

I actually think wh has a point. Again, I'm going to wait until the facts come out, but maybe what this athletic department needs is some reasonable antagonistic push back.  We have a great program, but substandard facilities and declining attendance need to be addressed. While I think our AD has done a pretty good job, this board seems to be too quick to give him a pass for the many shortcomings we have that keep us from getting to the next level. I believe when a University asks for your money, as the Crusader Fund and Forever Valpo campaign have, they owe in return some reasonable responses to what's going on. Again, were owed nothing yet, but if Jubril is done for good and this team yet again misses the dance, I think we should at least be told if the current admin really did everything they could to get 23 back on the court.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on February 15, 2017, 06:52:25 PM

Think a lot of us share the same concerns.  Well presented imo.  But I'd add that irregardless we'd be without Jubril for Santa Clara and Oakland, pertaining to the timing of the infraction.

I'm more disappointed in last years team than this years team.  That was a HUGE whiff for the depth and talent onboard.

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 15, 2017, 07:51:44 PM
I actually think wh has a point. Again, I'm going to wait until the facts come out, but maybe what this athletic department needs is some reasonable antagonistic push back.  We have a great program, but substandard facilities and declining attendance need to be addressed. While I think our AD has done a pretty good job, this board seems to be too quick to give him a pass for the many shortcomings we have that keep us from getting to the next level. I believe when a University asks for your money, as the Crusader Fund and Forever Valpo campaign have, they owe in return some reasonable responses to what's going on. Again, were owed nothing yet, but if Jubril is done for good and this team yet again misses the dance, I think we should at least be told if the current admin really did everything they could to get 23 back on the court.
Saying we'd be a top 25 team with 2 losses is ridiculous. There's some serious mental gymnastics going on. We lost to Oakland and Green Bay by significant amounts. I love Jubril, but he has a PER of 10.6, and has a turnover ratio of .7 to 2.4. Expecting the team to go undefeated in conference is absolutely ludicrous - blaming the administration for not doing so the year after losing their coach, with or without their ability to influence the Jubril decision is just a poor take. But yeah, maybe if we had nicer bathrooms or concessions in the ARC, Valpo would be 26-0.

jsher3141

Along with seemingly the majority on this board, I agree that the university seems to be letting the basketball program fall by the wayside in more ways than one, unfortunately. So it definitely does not seem out of the realm of possibilities that the university dropped the ball on this one.

I really feel like someone at some point will tell their side of the story. From what happened to start this fiasco, all the way up to what the university did to address matters and how long the NCAA sat on their hands. Whether it be the university, a player's family member, another player, or Jubril himself, I don't see this being kept under wraps forever.  Someone with much more firsthand knowledge of the situation will eventually spill the beans.  Right now they understandably have to keep quiet until things are resolved, but once the NCAA and the university are no longer lingering overhead, someone will talk.  Pretty sure the NCAA has no legal standing to uphold any sort of gag order once players graduate and move on in life. 

vu72

Quote from: jsher3141 on February 15, 2017, 08:20:05 PM

Along with seemingly the majority on this board, I agree that the university seems to be letting the basketball program fall by the wayside in more ways than one, unfortunately. So it definitely does not seem out of the realm of possibilities that the university dropped the ball on this one.

I really feel like someone at some point will tell their side of the story. From what happened to start this fiasco, all the way up to what the university did to address matters and how long the NCAA sat on their hands. Whether it be the university, a player's family member, another player, or Jubril himself, I don't see this being kept under wraps forever.  Someone with much more firsthand knowledge of the situation will eventually spill the beans.  Right now they understandably have to keep quiet until things are resolved, but once the NCAA and the university are no longer lingering overhead, someone will talk.  Pretty sure the NCAA has no legal standing to uphold any sort of gag order once players graduate and move on in life. 

Speculation, and BIG TIME speculation is running wild tonight.  We really have zero idea of what is being done and I doubt Alec's dad has full knowledge of what is going on as well.

As for the Administration not caring about the program--nonsense.  You don't pay your coach apx.$500,000 and make him the highest paid coach in the conference and the highest paid employee at Valpo because you don't care.  Expecting the University to ignor needed STEM projects, dorms built in the 60's and a battle to compete for top flight students, while schools like St. Joes are going under, to build a new or remodeled ARC is also self centered nonsense proposed by people with aging bladders who can't quite make it to the can.  Come to a Northwestern game sometime.  They have a somewhat larger endowment and have a basketball arena where you sit on wooden benches and wait in long lines for a beverage.  Get over it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

We need some prescriptions for the mood lately.  Is the Valentines Day hangover a real thing!?!?

Love to have Jubril back.  Did it to himself.  Don't have a whole lot of sympathy for stupid.  That being said, Alec and his family are making a point.  There isn't much more to it, coach also needs to manage his minutes NOW so he can tapper him for the conference tournament.  If I recall Alec entered the NIT with a mindset, but some of that was rest and getting his legs underneath him.

And you can go talk to someone else to yell at us for including a name other than Alec here.  I got me a father already.

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 15, 2017, 09:09:26 PMIs the Valentines Day hangover a real thing!?!?
Only if you took her out for dinner and cocktails.

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 15, 2017, 08:05:31 PMIf not for this whole cluster fxxx, we would likely be 24-2, ranked in the Top 25, #2 Mid Major, undefeated in conference, sitting 9th or 10th in bracketology,
I'll go with 22.5-3.5, Top-50, #4 mid-major, a bracketology 11 seed with a growing at-large buzz.

Quote from: vu72 on February 15, 2017, 08:55:35 PMSpeculation, and BIG TIME speculation is running wild tonight.
Yes, and I apologize for my pessimism because I know it is contagious. Things might still go our way but I am no longer willing to bet on it.

FieldGoodie05

Approx $500,000 salary for Lottich?  Is there a source?  How do we know he's even the best paid in HL?  Curiosity has me, the rest of your statement was hard to disagree with.

jsher3141

Quote from: vu72 on February 15, 2017, 08:55:35 PM
Quote from: jsher3141 on February 15, 2017, 08:20:05 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 15, 2017, 07:51:44 PMI actually think wh has a point. Again, I'm going to wait until the facts come out, but maybe what this athletic department needs is some reasonable antagonistic push back.  We have a great program, but substandard facilities and declining attendance need to be addressed. While I think our AD has done a pretty good job, this board seems to be too quick to give him a pass for the many shortcomings we have that keep us from getting to the next level. I believe when a University asks for your money, as the Crusader Fund and Forever Valpo campaign have, they owe in return some reasonable responses to what's going on. Again, were owed nothing yet, but if Jubril is done for good and this team yet again misses the dance, I think we should at least be told if the current admin really did everything they could to get 23 back on the court.
Along with seemingly the majority on this board, I agree that the university seems to be letting the basketball program fall by the wayside in more ways than one, unfortunately. So it definitely does not seem out of the realm of possibilities that the university dropped the ball on this one. I really feel like someone at some point will tell their side of the story. From what happened to start this fiasco, all the way up to what the university did to address matters and how long the NCAA sat on their hands. Whether it be the university, a player's family member, another player, or Jubril himself, I don't see this being kept under wraps forever.  Someone with much more firsthand knowledge of the situation will eventually spill the beans.  Right now they understandably have to keep quiet until things are resolved, but once the NCAA and the university are no longer lingering overhead, someone will talk.  Pretty sure the NCAA has no legal standing to uphold any sort of gag order once players graduate and move on in life.
Speculation, and BIG TIME speculation is running wild tonight.  We really have zero idea of what is being done and I doubt Alec's dad has full knowledge of what is going on as well. As for the Administration not caring about the program--nonsense.  You don't pay your coach apx.$500,000 and make him the highest paid coach in the conference and the highest paid employee at Valpo because you don't care.  Expecting the University to ignor needed STEM projects, dorms built in the 60's and a battle to compete for top flight students, while schools like St. Joes are going under, to build a new or remodeled ARC is also self centered nonsense proposed by people with aging bladders who can't quite make it to the can.  Come to a Northwestern game sometime.  They have a somewhat larger endowment and have a basketball arena where you sit on wooden benches and wait in long lines for a beverage.  Get over it.

I completely agree STEM programs and the dorms are in need of funding as well.  But I'm also not screaming "10,000 seat ARC!!!" Just saying some things like lighting, restrooms, and concessions could use an update.  Don't see the harm in that.

And where is this $500k figure coming from? Bryce made $377,464 total including benefits his last year.  Hard to believe Matt is making Bryce money right out of the gate... I'd have to bet it's closer to $250,000. If that.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 15, 2017, 10:05:09 PM
Approx $500,000 salary for Lottich?  Is there a source?  How do we know he's even the best paid in HL?  Curiosity has me, the rest of your statement was hard to disagree with.

Forgive my lack of clarity.  I doubt very much Matt is being paid 500k.  He is a first year head coach.  Bryce was being paid at that level and I presume Matt will be as well if he has the sucess that Bryce had.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on February 15, 2017, 08:55:35 PM
Speculation, and BIG TIME speculation is running wild tonight.  We really have zero idea of what is being done and I doubt Alec's dad has full knowledge of what is going on as well.

As for the Administration not caring about the program--nonsense.  You don't pay your coach apx.$500,000 and make him the highest paid coach in the conference and the highest paid employee at Valpo because you don't care.  Expecting the University to ignor needed STEM projects, dorms built in the 60's and a battle to compete for top flight students, while schools like St. Joes are going under, to build a new or remodeled ARC is also self centered nonsense proposed by people with aging bladders who can't quite make it to the can. Come to a Northwestern game sometime.  They have a somewhat larger endowment and have a basketball arena where you sit on wooden benches and wait in long lines for a beverage.  Get over it.

Why the personal attack, '72?  I expected that from the snotty kid with the cloud cartoon, but not from someone who is my senior, who took the time to look me up at a game a few years ago, and who has communicated with me via private mail.  Oh, well.

As to the issue, I know you're a fierce defender of anything and everything Valpo, and I get that. I'm a pretty fierce defender of 2 alma maters that I have my name forever attached to.

That said, and in all due respect, you don't know anything yourself. You could be right.  On the other hand, I can't think of one discussion that we've ever had on this board where you didn't vehemently defend every decision made and action taken by Valpo's administration and Board, past and present. So there's that.

As to questioning what Alec's Dad knows, hopefully you would be willing to admit that he knows about a thousand times more than you or I. And if you're willing to go that far, you might even consider that assuming that Alec is close with his Dad (and I believe he is), his Dad probably knows everything Alec knows. And since Alec and Jubril are best friends, we might expect that Alec knows everything Jubril knows, thus through osmosis Alec's Dad knows everything both Alec and Jubril know. He's starting to sound like a pretty credible source, wouldn't you say?

agibson

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 15, 2017, 07:51:44 PMI actually think wh has a point. Again, I'm going to wait until the facts come out, but maybe what this athletic department needs is some reasonable antagonistic push back. 

I think this is reasonable.

wh, I certainly hope you stick around.

But, if somehow this fiasco results in you taking a Valpo hiatus, I'd encourage you not to go quietly. Call up the AD's office, or at least send them a note, and let them know what you're thinking.

And, as I've said before, if you feel passionately about this, even if you're staying on the bandwagon, I think you could very reasonably contact them directly and ask them questions, or let them know what you're thinking. Fans are not the only stakeholders here. But, fans are constituents too.