• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara

Started by valpospartan, March 24, 2018, 08:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

Imagine my shock when I saw this photo  on the front page of the Bradenton (Florida) Herald's Sports section (above the fold) this morning.

http://www.bradenton.com/sports/article206663899.html

vu72

Quote from: valpospartan on March 24, 2018, 08:16:56 AM
Imagine my shock when I saw this photo  on the front page of the Bradenton (Florida) Herald's Sports section (above the fold) this morning.

http://www.bradenton.com/sports/article206663899.html

7 points and 7 rebounds in his final college game.  We sure could have used him.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

David Skara is just a small piece of all the change/bad luck this program has had the last 2 years.

One of my favorite pieces Paul Oren has written: http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/the-servant-of-two-masters/article_9b8322d0-07ef-11e6-a241-f74cbb5d6508.html

sliman

I believe Skara has another year of eligibility.

crusadermoe

Boy I loved his game.   He always seemed to anticipate and had great skills.   

Our defensive anticipation of rebounds and offensive drives is a big separation between us and Loyola.  They are always a step ahead and that offsets the height or vertical leap they face at times. 

I think we would be stronger with 6'6" forwards who are quick to the ball and in position than we have in now in our twin towers.   How quick to rebounds is Fazekas?  I know he has a rep as a great shooter.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 24, 2018, 12:02:24 PM
Boy I loved his game.   He always seemed to anticipate and had great skills.   

Our defensive anticipation of rebounds and offensive drives is a big separation between us and Loyola.  They are always a step ahead and that offsets the height or vertical leap they face at times. 

I think we would be stronger with 6'6" forwards who are quick to the ball and in position than we have in now in our twin towers.   How quick to rebounds is Fazekas?  I know he has a rep as a great shooter.

I couldn't agree with you more.  Back during Valley play an announcer repeatedly mentioned how unusual it is to have a true 7-footer in the conference let alone two.  I have no research on this, but it seems to me the Valley is a G/F league first and foremost. 

I'm not talking 7-footers, I'm talking the C position being emphasized less.  I get it, in leagues with less athletic PF/SF a halfway athletic Smits/Sorolla could dominate.  However, we had the toughest time in league play when the opponent had skilled 6'7 to 6'9" guys.  We couldn't keep up with them on either end of the court in rebounding or defending.

We really really realllllly need some size / athleticism from the SF/PF position.  Is Mileek going to keep developing into that position, yes.  By the time he's a junior, what about next year!  Many of you said it, we are hurting terribly for a body that can take up minutes at the PF slot.  Give us a defender with 7 ppg and that's all we need there in 2018/19.

oklahomamick

Skara started and played 25 minutes against KU in sweet 16.  We could have used him and Lexus this year.  That's good enough for 5 more wins right there. 
CRUSADERS!!!

truth219

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 25, 2018, 06:12:46 AM
Skara started and played 25 minutes against KU in sweet 16.  We could have used him and Lexus this year.  That's good enough for 5 more wins right there.
those two would have been stars for us

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

vu84v2

As a huge fan of both Valpo and Kansas, I found myself wanting to see the Kansas player (Svi Mykhailiuk) that Skara was matched up with just dominate him. While Svi burned Skara a few times off the dribble in the first half, I thought that Skara really held his own overall. Furthermore, he made some big plays inside against Kansas' bigs (he was unfortunate to have some layups missed after being fouled).

Skara has another year.

I am not sure if anyone else picked up on this during the broadcast of the Kansas - Clemson game, but Jim Nantz (when talking about Skara transferring from Valpo and having played in previous tournaments) gave Valpo the 2016 NIT championship.

mj

I wonder how last year would have turned out had Skara stayed at Valpo. Ugh.
I believe that we will win.

VU2014

Quote from: mj on March 25, 2018, 09:13:49 PM

Probably would have went smoother but that's all in the past now.

NativeCheesehead

And that's the thing that irritates me most about all this. Maravilla won. He continues to pimp out these kids, with no consequences.

humbleopinion

Quote from: mj on March 25, 2018, 09:13:49 PM

If Skara would have stayed, last year Alec would have had more rest and wouldn't have been injured at the end of the season.  Valpo would have won the Horizon tournament, and advanced to the final four in the NCAA tournament.  When Valpo lost in the final four, forum posters would complain that if we had better facilities we would have been national champions.
Beamin' Beacons

oklahomamick

Skara played in the championship game of the NIT and a NCAAT against Maryland in which he drove the lane and had no fear going for a dunk over the Terp's big time shot blocker.  I think the refs bailed him out and called a foul.  If I remember right, there was a technical called because the Terp's passionately disagreed with the foul call. 
CRUSADERS!!!

nkvu

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 26, 2018, 11:08:47 AM
Skara played in the championship game of the NIT and a NCAAT against Maryland in which he drove the lane and had no fear going for a dunk over the Terp's big time shot blocker.  I think the refs bailed him out and called a foul.  If I remember right, there was a technical called because the Terp's passionately disagreed with the foul call. 

I thought the tech was called more because the Maryland player stood over Skara as he lay on the floor and taunted him. But then my memory isn't all that great anymore.