• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #21- Wright State Friday January 27 7pm ARC *NOTE GAME TIME

Started by talksalot, January 18, 2017, 04:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

OK, I know ...I Know... BUT I put this out because the on-line schedule was just changed to reflect the START time for the Wright State Game on the 27th.  This has been a "Flex" game... and we are flexed into 7pm.  NO other posting comments about the Donlon-less raiders until after the dust settles from the Flame-out on Sunday the 22nd.

talksalot

As I was saying... GET TO THE ARC EARLY ON FRIDAY NIGHT.

TWO Pre-game things.   Jim Cornelison will be singing the national anthem.  If you don't know who that is, look it up on Youtube.

AND, there will be a special pre-game ceremony honoring #25 for setting both school records.

Current plan is for those events to start about 6:40pm.  OH, it ought to be a whale of a basketball game.

talksalot

Here's the Box Score for the WSU "BLOW OUT" of the Grizz...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400918584

From the ESPN score feed:
DAYTON, Ohio -- Mark Alstork and Parker Ernsthausen scored 24 points apiece and Wright State cruised to an 88-67 victory over Oakland on Sunday for its third straight win.

Alstork made three 3-pointers and 9 of 10 free throws. Ernsthausen was 8-of-10 shooting from the floor and 8 of 9 from the line. Steven Davis added 17 points and made four 3s for Wright State (14-7, 5-3 Horizon League). Justin Mitchell grabbed a game-high 15 rebounds and chipped in five points.

Martez Walker scored 14 points and Nick Daniels added 10 to lead Oakland (15-6, 5-3), which has lost three of its last four games.

The Raiders had a 12-point halftime lead before Oakland pulled to 51-43 with 14 minutes left. Wright State used a 35-16 run and had its largest lead, 86-59, with two minutes to play. Ernsthausen scored 12 points and Davis made three 3-pointers during the stretch.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

M

Valpo is separating itself from the rest of the league finally.  Wright State is about to find out how far behind they really are.  82-63 win coming our way!

SanityLost17

Stephen Davis is their starting 6'8" center.  He shots about 36% from 3.  Including 3-5 today.   Smits/Sorolla can't guard out at the 3 point line (see Santa Clara game, who also had a center out there hitting 3's).   This is the sort of game that you miss Jubril.  Smits/Sorolla are doing better, but teams who have gotten them away from the basket and forced them to switch a lot and fight through screens have really exposed our defense. 

McClain is a good recruiter, but not a great coach and UIC doesn't have the 3 point shooting forwards to expose weakness.  That is the sort of team that simply can't matchup against us.  Teams like Wright State and Oakland (who are feast and famine from the 3) are the ones that pose real threats when they are hitting. 

Kyle321n

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 22, 2017, 06:52:56 PM
Stephen Davis is their starting 6'8" center.  He shots about 36% from 3.  Including 3-5 today.   Smits/Sorolla can't guard out at the 3 point line (see Santa Clara game, who also had a center out there hitting 3's).   This is the sort of game that you miss Jubril.  Smits/Sorolla are doing better, but teams who have gotten them away from the basket and forced them to switch a lot and fight through screens have really exposed our defense. 

McClain is a good recruiter, but not a great coach and UIC doesn't have the 3 point shooting forwards to expose weakness.  That is the sort of team that simply can't matchup against us.  Teams like Wright State and Oakland (who are feast and famine from the 3) are the ones that pose real threats when they are hitting. 

Well if he gets 3 of 5, let's hope they have him guarding Jaume and Derrik. They can each get 3 of 5 from down low and that's 12 points for us vs. 9 points for them.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

talksalot

So this was a "Flex" game for ESPN to decide which HL games go on ESPN2 or ESPNU.  We got flexed to "ESPN3, 7pm".  The Green Bay @ Oakland game is on ESPNU at the 9pm/8CT game.   They figure that game will be more competitive.

covufan

Impressive win yesterday!  We need to keep the pressure on the rest of the HL.

Valpo    81
WSU     64

wh

Typically, I try to check out every league opponent before we play, but I haven't gotten around to watching WSU. Any thoughts about how we match-up?

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: wh on January 23, 2017, 09:03:40 PM
Typically, I try to check out every league opponent before we play, but I haven't gotten around to watching WSU. Any thoughts about how we match-up?

Just checked their roster and box score versus Oakland.  Fairly typical WSU team with 9 guys 6'4" or smaller.  They have two "bigs", one is a 6'9" 300# freshman who didn't play in that game.  The other is a RSo., 6'11" who played 25 minutes and score 24 points but had only 4 boards. They were out rebounded 28 to 23 and had 15 assts to 13 turnovers.  My guess is that we continue to attack the rim hopefully putting their one big in foul trouble. Mark Alstork (6'5")is the guy we need to limit.  He had 24 against Oakland. My guess is Shane will get the call.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vufan75

Remember WSU beat us last season home and away, so we owe them big-time and need to sweep them this year! Payback game just like against Green Bay last week. The guys s/b motivated. Wild card IMO is the new WSU coach. He has had a good coaching career and will be an adjustment not playing against Donlon and his clutch & grab defense. I like Valpo to win at home 83-71.

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu72 on January 24, 2017, 01:11:43 PM
Mark Alstork (6'5")is the guy we need to limit.  He had 24 against Oakland. My guess is Shane will get the call.

I'm thinking Tevonn gets Alstork while Shane gets Benzinger. It'll be interesting to see how we match up as they can go small to neutralize our bigs. I could see us going into the 1-3-1 zone we were playing against Green Bay.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

JPEven

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 22, 2017, 06:52:56 PMStephen Davis is their starting 6'8" center.  He shots about 36% from 3.

This won't be good for Alec's final numbers, but I can see a lot of time the game with Micah, Lexus, Tevon, Shane and Alec on the court together.  And indeed, this would be a great game to #LetJubrilPlay

M

How early before the game are they recognizing Alec's record?

agibson

Quote from: M on January 27, 2017, 07:47:34 AM
How early before the game are they recognizing Alec's record?

John Bowker made an announcement... it seems like there were a couple of events, so that it was relatively early. 6:20 PM seems too early... 6:40 PM? Likely he can set the matter straight.

Ah, right, Jim Cornelison is singing the anthem. But, I don't remember the announced time.

oklahomamick

I'm probably in the minority on this one but I would prefer the record ceremony to be after a game and not before.  Or at the end of senior night. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Oh, and

[tweet]824339695421313031[/tweet]

My mother would heartily approve (I'm talking the tix... the shirts are a little bizarre). And, certainly in the spirit of promotion and filling seats, I'm in favor.

I'm guessing that dependents, with their ID's, are implicitly also free.

Are they still running periodic "Family Express Family Nights"? Seems like they should let in kids U13 free at least a couple of times a season, when accompanied by a paying adult.

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 27, 2017, 08:10:06 AM
I'm probably in the minority in this one but I would prefer the record ceremony to be after a game and not before.  Or at the end of senior night. 

Senior night wouldn't be bad. But might distract even a bit more from the other seniors?

After a game's not so bad. But, what if we lost? Would the ceremony take a bit of the sting out? Or would it really spoil the event?

I'm rarely there early, so pre-game's not exactly my style either.

talksalot

Quote from: agibson on January 27, 2017, 08:06:29 AMJohn Bowker made an announcement... it seems like there were a couple of events, so that it was relatively early. 6:20 PM seems too early... 6:40 PM? Likely he can set the matter straight.

The announcement was that the Jim Cornelison National Anthem will be at 6:40pm.  The Anthem is usually done at 12:00 on the pre-game clock; so I'm guessing that the AP Award thing will be with 10:00 on the clock; but the clock will stop until that's done.  We will then re-start the clock to allow the teams to come back to warm up.  With this being an ESPN3 game, we can play a little looser with the schedule than if we were the ESPNU game.

Not sure what time the doors will open; first 1,000 folks get a Camo t-shirt; and ALL active duty military/reservists get in free for "Military Thank You" night.

talksalot

Quote from: wh on January 27, 2017, 01:02:02 AMThe spread: Valpo -9

Vegas insider says a 142 O/U and 88% of the money is taking Valpo and giving the points.

talksalot

Huh.  Just read the game notes on the valpoathletics site...

Following the Crusaders: Video - ESPN3, WatchESPN and the ESPN app - Will Haskett (PxP) and Chris Sparks (Analyst)
Radio – Valpo Sports Network [WVUR (95.1 FM, Valparaiso); WVLP (103.1 FM, Valparaiso)] - Todd Ickow (PxP) and David Huseman (Analyst)

and of course, pgmado tweeted this yesterday...

But he didn't mention one little ditty about Will Haskett...   " I called my first live game over the air when I was 15 (thank you, North Central High School), matriculated to Butler University "

I hope Chris speaks slowly so Haskett will understand... :)