• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2019 Paradise Jam

Started by vufan75, November 08, 2018, 01:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vufan75

Valpo will be one of eight schools participating in the November 2019
Paradise Jam. Ran across this info on twitter.

Looking forward to heading to the U.S. Virgin Islands next November for the @ParadiseJam! #GoValpo #MVCHoops

https://t.co/4CgqQr0rAU https://t.co/FCuaQP2OfO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

IrishDawg

Quote from: vufan75 on November 08, 2018, 01:29:59 PM
Valpo will be one of eight schools participating in the November 2019
Paradise Jam. Ran across this info on twitter.

Looking forward to heading to the U.S. Virgin Islands next November for the @ParadiseJam! #GoValpo #MVCHoops

https://t.co/4CgqQr0rAU https://t.co/FCuaQP2OfO

Solid tourney - field includes Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Fordham, Grand Canyon, Illinois State, Nevada and Western Kentucky

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

IndyValpo

Quote from: IrishDawg on November 08, 2018, 02:19:44 PMSolid tourney - field includes Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Fordham, Grand Canyon, Illinois State, Nevada and Western Kentucky
I assume we will be put in the opposite bracket from Illinois State

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 08, 2018, 02:23:01 PM
Quote from: IrishDawg on November 08, 2018, 02:19:44 PMSolid tourney - field includes Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Fordham, Grand Canyon, Illinois State, Nevada and Western Kentucky
I assume we will be put in the opposite bracket from Illinois State

I recall someone mentioning in the past in some string that two from the same conference in a tourney like this was an issue.

VUGrad1314

GCU

Nevada

WKU

UC

Series please.If the UC game has to be a buy game that's fine too. The GCU\Nevada road games can be done together and would make for a nice holiday break road trip.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 08, 2018, 07:49:29 PMIf the UC game has to be a buy game that's fine too.
The 2018 event will have all 8 teams going to the Virgin Islands for 3 games with an additional non-bracketed game possible. If that is the 2019 format then a trip to Cincinnati might be a valuable additional game. WKU, BG, and Nevada might also be highly considered but it would depend on the details.

VUGrad1314

I'm not necessarily talking about the non-bracketed game which I hope is a trip to UC but I'm hoping MLB can use his time at these MTEs to get some series going forward with teams like UCF St Joe's Fullerton WKU GCU Nevada  Bowling Green etc that would be interesting to the fans.

VULB#62

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 08, 2018, 10:14:45 PM
I'm not necessarily talking about the non-bracketed game which I hope is a trip to UC but I'm hoping MLB can use his time at these MTEs to get some series going forward with teams like UCF St Joe's Fullerton WKU GCU Nevada  Bowling Green etc that would be interesting to the fans.

Questions, Questions: To attract such teams to do H&Hs, would Valpo have to sweeten the pot some just to get teams to visit the friendly confines of the ARC?  Maybe pay travel expenses or someting?  I think, with the exception of St. Joe's, all the teams mentioned play in arenas with much larger capacities than the ARC and would earn a gate worth having us as an attractive visitor.  Not so with Valpo.  Might a "sweeten the pot "strategy be another unanticipated cost of moving up to the MVC -- i.e., having to budget extra $$$ to attract better opponent's to Valpo in order to hold up our responsibility for upgrading our schedule to MVC standards?  And if this, indeed, becomes part of the success equation, then where does an ARC upgrade come into play?  Where does the money come from for that while we are spending money just to get opponents to come to play us in our arena?

This is all hypothetical, of course, and maybe "sweeten the pot" is not even a consideration.

VUGrad1314

I feel like conference prestige alone should be good enough to get most of these teams to the ARC.

We got New Mexico when they were about where Nevada is right now as a program

We've had UCF before even as an AAC member

St Joe's is in a peer conference and will be in the area next year  anyway

Our increasing familiarity with WKU can and should lead to a series. Both good teams from solid conferences

Fullerton and GCU should be doable due to relative conference strength They should want a series against an MVC team

Bowling Green is easy travel for both parties which is the main reason I included it. Plus we've had a steady stream of MAC opponents over the years anyway.