• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

On Student Section Attendance and Interaction

Started by ValpoHoops, March 22, 2019, 09:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VALPO LI

Found some of these great pics from 2007-2008 season.  Look at all the variety of instruments that are being played from a drum set, electric guitars, a tuba and even an electric violin.  I counted over 55 students playing in this pep band.
That is fantastic!!!!!!!

https://www.photography-by-cat.com/Clients/Valparaiso-University/Sports/VU-Crusader-Pep-Band/Photos-by-Tim-Stride-2007-2008/

Shine on Vu

wh

Quote from: VALPO LI on November 18, 2019, 09:13:25 PM
Found some of these great pics from 2007-2008 season.  Look at all the variety of instruments that are being played from a drum set, electric guitars, a tuba and even an electric violin.  I counted over 55 students playing in this pep band.
That is fantastic!!!!!!!

https://www.photography-by-cat.com/Clients/Valparaiso-University/Sports/VU-Crusader-Pep-Band/Photos-by-Tim-Stride-2007-2008/

That's like looking at pictures of Detroit before it rotted. What a shame.

VULB#62

Has this question been asked:  Is Valpo recruiting a different type of student than in the past?

Correlated question:  In 10 years since those pics, have kids in general changed so much that they have no school spirit?

Question correlated to the correlated question: Has the term "school spirit" gone the way of the Dodo Bird,  and white rhino,  board games, "going steady," a written thank you note, actually having a driver license, thinking independently without having to seek support from a helicopter parent, or caring about things that are not self-focused?

Oops, did I just think out loud?  Sorry.

valpopal

That is fantastic!!!!!!!

I remember the electric violin. It sounded great! Like other game day aspects discussed on the board recently, I have to ask: what happened, how did we get to this point?  :(

valpospartan

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 18, 2019, 10:24:10 PM
Has this question been asked:  Is Valpo recruiting a different type of student than in the past?

Correlated question:  In 10 years since those pics, have kids in general changed so much that they have no school spirit?

Question correlated to the correlated question: Has the term "school spirit" gone the way of the Dodo Bird,  and white rhino,  board games, "going steady," a written thank you note, actually having a driver license, thinking independently without having to seek support from a helicopter parent, or caring about things that are not self-focused?

Oops, did I just think out loud?  Sorry.
In the past few years, I have noted a definite reduction of the student section at Valparaiso High School, and last year they had a great team.  In fact, a couple of years ago, I snapped a photo to show my kids (students there in the late 70s, early 80s) how bad it had gotten.  So it's not just at VU.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: vok22 on November 18, 2019, 11:53:33 AM
The concession stand is downright shameful. They said at the season ticket holder dinner that we would see an improved concession stand. So far, the lines are longer and I can say with certainty that isn't because attendance is up. I don't know who is running it now but it is awful. Ordered the "loaded nachos" (I believe a dollar more than the regular "nachos") and got a bag of chips in a plastic container with a little bit of cheese. I asked why the "loaded nachos" were an extra dollar over the basic nachos if they were just basic nachos, and the cashier said "I'm not sure".  So I asked what comes with the basic nachos if a bag of chips with cheese was "loaded". The person filling drinks informed me that the basic nachos were just the chips. Last time I checked, a bag of chips is a bag of chips, not nachos.

Is this experience really worth the $27.00 for a chairback seat that Valpo is currently charging for the game against Trinity Christian?  Again, wow.

govalpogo

That is fantastic!!!!!!!

This was my freshman year.  Which I've had a terrifying realization about...this moment was closer to "the shot" (9 yrs)  than it is to now (12 yrs).  Whoa.  Getting old.  Anyway, yes, the place was consistently hopping in such a way that it turned this super casual college sports fan into a hyper Valpo fan.  The student culture was still entact from several years in a row of making the NCAA tournament in the early 00's.  It was awesome. 

It is also important to remember that this particular set of photos (so many familiar faces!) was also an ESPN 2 game (when it was still a big deal) against rival and #10 ranked Butler...of course the place was packed! The team started off that year 10-1 and only barely lost to Vandy for the L.  We were ready to take the Horizon by storm we thought! 

By the following year, the team was on it's way to a 9-22 season and the student section was EMPTY. (except against Butler)  I know, I was there.  Perhaps the jump to the HL was too much for us after all!  It takes years of winning to build a culture and one bad season to smash it to bits.  By my senior year, we had begun building the new thing as the team gained some traction, but it wasn't until a few HL championships in a row that the place buzzed with that kind of energy again, which it did as recently as a couple of years ago.

My point is this, Winning (like love) covers a multitude of sins.  And a 3-1 start, despite a nice, exciting win against Toledo isn't going to change the culture.  It takes a season or two (or a big win over a Power 5).  There are plenty of challenges out there, streaming has become better and more accepted as a form of media, kids are crazy busy, etc.  But if the team wins regularly and proves to the students that it's worth the 2 hour investment, the kids will come. 

I'm still not over Shawn Huff air-balling those free throws by the way. 

NativeCheesehead

Last year there were several rumors around Vu, and this board, about a refresh of the pep band. What happened to that?

We're about 5 members away from being one of those schools that has to pay a local high school to be at the conference tournament.

HUGE kudos to the kids that still show up to play, but man, I'm so tired of being second rate in every measurable way in this conference.

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 19, 2019, 09:31:26 AM
Last year there were several rumors around Vu, and this board, about a refresh of the pep band. What happened to that?

We're about 5 members away from being one of those schools that has to pay a local high school to be at the conference tournament.

HUGE kudos to the kids that still show up to play, but man, I'm so tired of being second rate in every measurable way in this conference.

If Valparaiso University decided it was important enough to have a larger pep band, there would be a larger pep band.

The tail only wags the dog if it's allowed to.
Management 101

sliman

I believe it's been stated before, but the music department has nothing to do with the Pep Band and may, in fact, discourage participation in by students in other music ensembles.  The director is hired by the athletics department (or at least used to be) and the members are volunteers.  Unless the music department gets behind it, I think we need to be happy if we get 25 students in the band.

vusupporter

Quote from: govalpogo on November 19, 2019, 09:19:02 AM

Jarryd Loyd. Front end of 1-and-1.

govalpogo

Quote from: vusupporter on November 19, 2019, 02:23:49 PM
Quote from: govalpogo on November 19, 2019, 09:19:02 AM

Jarryd Loyd. Front end of 1-and-1.

Definitely air balled though!   :-\   Okay, maybe he brushed the front of the net. 

Valpo2010

That is fantastic!!!!!!!

Ok - So I wanna give some context for these photos...

I'm one of the band members in this photo, and this was the only game I played in the pep band for in my entire 4 years at Valpo.  I was a music major and never participated in the pep band due to what I viewed as a lack of professionalism musically.  This isn't meant to speak poorly of those who did, I just had higher standards.  That being said, I don't think I ever missed a home basketball game during my 4 years at Valpo, was always in the student section, just not in the pep band.  I also want to be clear that as a music major, I was never discouraged from participating in the pep band.  For the particular game from these photographs, this was a nationally televised game (which at the time wasn't as common as it is today), and a group of about 12-15 of us music majors decided we didn't want the band to be poorly represented on national TV, so we showed up and played with the pep band for that one game

This is in no way meant to argue against the decline in the pep band over the past few years, as I believe the decline is obvious, just wanted to be careful in comparing it to the particular photos provided as that game was a bit of an anomaly. 

GoldenCrusader87

Thank you for sharing the band photos. I was thinking vs North Dakota how sparse the stands are and the band particularly. Sad.

sliman

Thanks for your input 2010 and for the explanation why the band looks so large in the photos posted.  I may overstated the fact about the music faculty discouraging participation in the Pep Band, but the department clearly doesn't promote it.  Our fans need to understand that at many schools, if not most, the Pep Band is staffed by the music department and probably offers ensemble credit for participation.  This is true at schools our size (e.g. Butler) as well as the larger tax-supported universities where the marching bands also are department promoted.

valpo64

How about alumni or "locals" joining in for the pep band.  It doesn't matter if they were or are music majors.  Just get some butts in the stands!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpo64 on November 21, 2019, 12:07:33 PM
How about alumni or "locals" joining in for the pep band.  It doesn't matter if they were or are music majors.  Just get some butts in the stands!

I saw a bigger gentleman on the drums last game I watched . . . anyone know who that is?  He appears 40+ years old.

Just Sayin

valpotx

When I was in school, I do remember some alumni playing in the Pep Band every now and then.  There was also a VUPD officer that used to play the drums for a few songs.
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

VALPO LI

Quote from: valpo64 on November 21, 2019, 12:07:33 PM

"Crusader Pep Band
The Valparaiso University Crusader Pep Band performs a wide variety of music to enhance the atmosphere of athletic events while supporting the teams. The band is primarily composed of students, though alumni, faculty, staff, community members, and high school students are also welcome to attend and play with the Pep Band. The Pep Band is sponsored by the Valparaiso University Athletic Department and music department."

https://www.valpo.edu/music/ensembles/extra-curricular-ensembles/
Shine on Vu

sliman

Not sure who played drums with the band at the last home game, but a frequent drummer with the band is Chuck Garber, assistant chief of the campus police.

talksalot

GoldenCrusader87

With the recent news regarding the culmination of the men's soccer and tennis programs, it sure seems like there would be an increased amount of pressure on the basketball program bringing in good revenue. Thus far, I'm seeing a better product on the court. Seems like we have more Saturday games, right? Non-conference home schedule not bad. Also, we're seeing an effort to improve the fan experience with the gentleman who asks questions, comes into he stands, and so forth. Soooo - some good stuff. With that said, we just need to get those stands a bit more full .... and obviously the student section.

vu72

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on November 21, 2019, 07:10:46 PM
With the recent news regarding the culmination of the men's soccer and tennis programs, it sure seems like there would be an increased amount of pressure on the basketball program bringing in good revenue. Thus far, I'm seeing a better product on the court. Seems like we have more Saturday games, right? Non-conference home schedule not bad. Also, we're seeing an effort to improve the fan experience with the gentleman who asks questions, comes into he stands, and so forth. Soooo - some good stuff. With that said, we just need to get those stands a bit more full .... and obviously the student section.

Um, not sure how the two equate. Soccer and tennis are non-revenue sports,(i.e. no charge for admission)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015