• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Official Team Photo

Started by vu72, October 25, 2011, 10:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on October 25, 2011, 10:38:11 AM
Here it is, no Dino and no Carpenter:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/roster/

Not surprised by the absence of Dino, and I had noticed Carpenter was also absent from the season ticket holders team preview I attended a couple weeks ago when the players practiced and Bryce introduced all of them.

sectionee

Maybe Carpenter didn't make it this year as a walk on?  A bunch of good lookin' smiles...hopefully they are all still smiling after a season of success.

valporun

Quote from: sectionee on October 25, 2011, 02:23:24 PM
Maybe Carpenter didn't make it this year as a walk on?  A bunch of good lookin' smiles...hopefully they are all still smiling after a season of success.

I'm probably wrong on this, but I thought Carpenter was high school Class of 2012?

vu72

Quote from: valporun on October 26, 2011, 01:48:13 PM

I'm probably wrong on this, but I thought Carpenter was high school Class of 2012?

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/10957/capobianco-carpenter-join-valpo-mens-basketball-program/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

Quote from: vu72 on October 26, 2011, 02:30:46 PM

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/10957/capobianco-carpenter-join-valpo-mens-basketball-program/

Thanks! Cold feet, maybe?

valpopal

Speaking of walk-ons, does anybody remember Keenan Wetzel? He was a preferred walk-on at VU: "Wetzel was redshirted last year and was not eligible to practice with the Crusaders...." Could this be similar to Carpenter's position?

Apparently, Wetzel transferred to Michigan State, and now he will be alongside Brandon as a walk-on for the Trojans:

http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111025/SPORTS/710259985

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpopal on October 26, 2011, 03:13:18 PM
Speaking of walk-ons, does anybody remember Keenan Wetzel? He was a preferred walk-on at VU: "Wetzel was redshirted last year and was not eligible to practice with the Crusaders...." Could this be similar to Carpenter's position?

Apparently, Wetzel transferred to Michigan State, and now he will be alongside Brandon as a walk-on for the Trojans:

you mean spartans? i thought the trojans were raising hell in california.  ;)

valpospartan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on October 26, 2011, 03:38:58 PM

Thanks for the correction, weathernerd - i missed it totally  :-[.

historyman

Quote from: valpospartan on October 26, 2011, 06:12:31 PM

Sometimes the problem you end up with if you don't know the difference is a "spartan covering." And that is certainly not good :-)

valpopal

Oops, my slip, apologies to valpospartan and other spartan fans.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpospartan on October 26, 2011, 06:12:31 PM

no worries. hope i didn't come off as too ridiculous with my poor attempt at humor.

valpospartan

Thanks valpopal, but no apology is necessary (especially since I didn't even notice).

DMvalpo18

definitely not. i have a government class with him.

valpopal

Apparently, in addition to Jakolis, Fernandez is still not completely cleared by the NCAA:

"If the season started today, he wouldn't play in any games. Drew said he has two game plans drawn up for the exhibition games -- one with Fernandez, one without him."

Also, as I had heard, the probability Boggs will redshirt seems higher:

Drew "has talked with Boggs about possibly redshirting him so that he'll have two full seasons left, instead of a partial season this year and a full season next year. 'It's definitely on the table,' Drew said."

http://blogs.post-trib.com/lazerus/2011/10/valparaiso-odds-and-ends.html

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpopal on October 27, 2011, 07:42:34 PM
Apparently, in addition to Jakolis, Fernandez is still not completely cleared by the NCAA:

"If the season started today, he wouldn't play in any games. Drew said he has two game plans drawn up for the exhibition games -- one with Fernandez, one without him."

Also, as I had heard, the probability Boggs will redshirt seems higher:

Drew "has talked with Boggs about possibly redshirting him so that he'll have two full seasons left, instead of a partial season this year and a full season next year. 'It's definitely on the table,' Drew said."

http://blogs.post-trib.com/lazerus/2011/10/valparaiso-odds-and-ends.html

Seriously, why is it that the NCAA can't finalize this before the season.  It seems pretty sad that they are so incompetent that it always runs into the season.

historyman

I believe this is just the NCAA saying to schools that give scholarships to players from foreign countries is that it was not this governing body that decided to have a foreign player on your team. We will investigate no matter how long it takes and you must live with the outcome of the investigation no matter when the final outcome comes.

letsgovu

awesome photo!  I wish this one had been printed on the posters!

tommydee46

What is being done by the AD and compliance committee in regards to V. Fernandez ?  We need to pressure the NCAA (Mafia) into ruling on Vashil.
This would be timely since the article yesterday by the Illinois congressman!!    This is ridiculous.  Time for someone to challenge the NCAA and why not be VALPO....the little engine that could!!   Let's give our team a chance, we need a big guy!!

vu72

Perhaps it's time to get the Law School's Sports Law Clinic involved.

http://www.valpo.edu/law/clinic/sportslawclinic/index.php

rlh

Quote from: tommydee46 on November 03, 2011, 12:00:04 PM
What is being done by the AD and compliance committee in regards to V. Fernandez ?  We need to pressure the NCAA (Mafia) into ruling on Vashil.
This would be timely since the article yesterday by the Illinois congressman!!    This is ridiculous.  Time for someone to challenge the NCAA and why not be VALPO....the little engine that could!!   Let's give our team a chance, we need a big guy!!
Obviously you don't understand how the NCAA works.  We have no way to pressure them and they will rule when they get good and ready.  Be realistic if you're going to post.  Obviously it's a flawed system, but little old Valpo isn't going to change it now or ever

historyman

Quote from: rlh on November 03, 2011, 01:29:31 PM
What is being done by the AD and compliance committee in regards to V. Fernandez ?  We need to pressure the NCAA (Mafia) into ruling on Vashil.
This would be timely since the article yesterday by the Illinois congressman!!    This is ridiculous.  Time for someone to challenge the NCAA and why not be VALPO....the little engine that could!!   Let's give our team a chance, we need a big guy!!
Obviously you don't understand how the NCAA works.  We have no way to pressure them and they will rule when they get good and ready.  Be realistic if you're going to post.  Obviously it's a flawed system, but little old Valpo isn't going to change it now or ever

You have to realize that the NCAA is a group made up of the individual member schools. Therefore Valpo is part of the administration of the NCAA. Valpo is not forced to join the NCAA by the government. Valpo could be a member of the NAIA. Therefore when it signed the agreement to be a part of the NCAA it agreed to abide by all the convoluted rules and bylaws of the NCAA. When Valpo chose to give a scholarship to a foreign student/athlete it chose to abide by all the rules and bylaws set forth by the NCAA rules committee which apply to student/athletes from foreign countries. Part of the rules is that Valpo must wait till the NCAA Clearinghouse has cleared Vashil Fernandez to play and they can take as long as it takes the NCAA Clearinghouse to perform it's due diligence investigating the matter. The NCAA is not breaking any laws and therefore can not be sued in this matter. Valpo has been dealing with the clearance of foreign players for the last 10 to 15 years and each time the NCAA is slow about clearing the player the fans get all upset. Nothing has changed and until the NCAA changes the rules this will continue to happen when Valpo gives a scholarship to a foreign student/athlete.  

Also Congreesmen pontificate all the time about things they can't change on their own without the support of their fellow Congressmen. It makes the individual Congressman or Congresswoman look good to their constituency but there is no real intention to change the laws. Most of Congress feel they have a few more important things to deal with and that the NCAA will take care of things in it's own house.

covufan

Quote from: rlh on November 03, 2011, 01:29:31 PM
Obviously you don't understand how the NCAA works.  We have no way to pressure them and they will rule when they get good and ready.  Be realistic if you're going to post.  Obviously it's a flawed system, but little old Valpo isn't going to change it now or ever

Pressure.  No way can you pressure the NCAA.  I'm sure someone in Indy is laughing at this post.