• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ SIU 1/7/2020 7pm CST on ESPN 3

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 06, 2020, 05:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 09, 2020, 02:44:47 PMI have every intention of showing you who I truly am as a poster and person. Go Valpo! Now and forever!
Bravo young man, I have a lot of respect for what you wrote. I certainly understand your frustration and passion, which I share. Most Valpo fans in Fort Wayne know who I am and that I can be relied upon to find answers to any questions they might have about the university. As a matter of fact you sound like me talking to President Harre when Homer was starting to make the program relevant, winning the conference on a regular basis and getting to the tournament. Our debate centered around the question was it better to pursue a higher rated conference (presumably Horizon League) or stay and dominate the Mid-Con.  I was for making the change and he took the position of staying, he eventually changed his mind thank goodness. In my opinion none of VU's administrations since that time have really understood the potential the BBall program dropped in their lap when we made the Sweet Sixteen run with that iconic Pacer play.  March Madness fans are STILL reminded every year that Valpo made what was perhaps the most perfectly executed full court play in the tournament's history to win that game. Having been part of an old and long time Missouri Synod Lutheran family has prepared me for the slow paced conservative leanings that are part of Valpo's makeup, I just wish that a little more of the O.P. optimism would be realized in the athletic department because I have seen and was part of a program that has used it to great advantage at the NAIA level and I wonder why a place like Indiana Tech or Trine can do it and Valpo can't. The difference between the two of us is that obviously I am considerably older and I know many but not all of the people directly involved, in most cases they are good knowledgeable people that really have VU's best interests at heart and face the constraints that we lament about on this board. Believe me when I tell you that we would not be in the MVC if not for MLB. I really thought we had missed our chance when they took Loyola instead of us, but Mark's persistence really paid off and promises made to the conference will at some point force movement on some of these athletic issues. Some of the moves could be perceived as bad (cutting men's soccer and tennis) but I hope the good will follow. Continue to be that passionate alumni fan and perhaps we will meet at a game sometime in the near future.

Completely out of the blue and in the sports investment vane, I was surprised to see a tweet about new or redesigned Football offices?? Can anybody talk about that development?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

Maybe I've been harsh as well.....

Being in Oklahoma, not very many know of Valpo.  Of course the local weather man is a Valpo alumni and that shot took place in OKC. 

They don't realize that Valpo ranked higher than Oklahoma State (where a lot of the Tulsa oil money graduated from) in the recent US News Week rankings. 

But they do know of the basketball team.  The basketball team is the advertisement for the university.
CRUSADERS!!!