• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Georgia Southern game: 11/11/11

Started by valpotx, November 09, 2011, 11:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

In looking at their website, they are a VERY young team with only 1 Jr and 2 Sr players.  They have their top returning scorer (Drayton, Sr, 15.8 ppg last year), but other than that it looks to be a lot of turnover from last year in their better players.  They were 5-27 last year, including a loss to Chicago State, with only 2 wins against D-1 competition (The Citadel & Georgia State in OT).  I am thinking:

Valpo 76
Georgia Southern 61
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

A lot of turnover... from a team that was one of the worst in the country last year.  We'd certainly better win.

We'll all be watching the soccer, surely.  (Or, I heard there's a basketball game on a boat somewhere?) 

But, so far there's no live info listed at all on the VU Athletics web page.  No audio, no video, no live stats.

Presumably it will at least be on the radio - and presumably that will have some associated streaming.  Anyone have news on this?

johnestuff

georgiasoutherneagles.com

This website shows a live video link for the game.
I can't upload a link, so copy and paste.

valporun

The athletics website is showing video for the game against Milwaukee, which takes out one of the audio setups, and I'm guessing the other one would be out at Brown Field for the HL tournament Friday/Sunday and football on Saturday. I don't know if Valpo has anymore than those two available, but it seems that they are both being used for more "important" activities. I'll check the Georgia Southern website for audio/video or live stats, but we might be stuff with having to refresh ESPN/CBS Sportsline/Yahoo for score updates otherwise.

valpotx

It looks like you have to pay a one-time fee of $4.95+tax to watch a single game if you follow the links.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUfan

Georgia Southern ?look at a map it should be Georgia Eastern! Geo majors stand up!
VU 81 Georgia Someware 61

valporun

The Georgia Southern website is showing a subscription-based setup for audio or video on the front page of their website. I did a little more searching around for a "flagship" radio network, and found that the game would be broadcast on WBMZ The Boomer 103.7.

In finding this, I went for the station website, http://1037theboomer.com/

They have a 'Listen Live' link, so this should get you the audio for the game, if there aren't available audio links for Valpo Sports Radio Network on the Valpo website.

ChadWC

Greetings Valpo fans.  A few things:

The audio on georgiasoutherneagles.com is free.  You'll be able to listen starting with the pregame show at 7 PM ET on Friday.  Just go to Audio/Video on the left side of the screen in the menu and it will pull up a pop up window and you'll find it there.  

Now for a little on our team.  We have struggled mightily the past two seasons.  The previous coach before the one we currently have left under unfortunate circumstances which caused us to be placed on NCAA probation which we come off of I believe in January.  But our current coach, Charlton "C.Y." Young is a former player and hes an extremely good, and I mean extremely good recruiter.  We have as much talent on the team as any team we've ever had.  Our current group of sophomores was rated a top 5 mid major class by ESPN and due to the amount they played last year, they aren't your average sophomores, they are seasoned college basketball players.  The current freshman were also very highly touted and should give us some much needed front court depth.

Last year was a rough one as we had 1 senior and lost our all SoCon player Willie Powers before the season began.  We were forced to play a team with a boatload of freshman who looked good at times but always found a way to lose.  We've looked much better through our two exhibition games this year due to getting Powers back in the backcourt to go with Ben Drayton who is an undersized but very skilled player.  SG Eric Ferguson has been tabbed an NBA prospect.  Fox Sports wrote an article about him saying he could have played for anybody in the country but CY is his godfather and he came to Statesboro to play for him.  Hes a very tough matchup for people at the 2 or the 3 with his 6'7 height and long wingspan.  SG/PG Jelani Hewitt was a very highly touted recruit who played a ton last year and was a good player for us and Tre Bussey had his moments.  We will be without freshman Tyrone Brown who is our biggest body down low for this and the next game due to a team rules violation.  Our front court will have long, lean guys who can rebound the ball and block shots but won't figure into the gameplan on offense as much as our guards.  We love to get up and down the court and run.  This year we have the team who can do it.  I'd imagine you will see us pressure the basketball with some full court presses at times, especially if we can cause turnovers and don't get into foul trouble.

Hope to see a good group of Valpo fans at Hanner Fieldhouse.  

covufan

I really like watching KVW and Buggs this year - much improved.

Valpo - 77
GSouth - 63

wh

Quote from: ChadWC on November 09, 2011, 02:54:32 PM
Greetings Valpo fans.  A few things:

The audio on georgiasoutherneagles.com is free.  You'll be able to listen starting with the pregame show at 7 PM ET on Friday.  Just go to Audio/Video on the left side of the screen in the menu and it will pull up a pop up window and you'll find it there. 

Now for a little on our team.  We have struggled mightily the past two seasons.  The previous coach before the one we currently have left under unfortunate circumstances which caused us to be placed on NCAA probation which we come off of I believe in January.  But our current coach, Charlton "C.Y." Young is a former player and hes an extremely good, and I mean extremely good recruiter.  We have as much talent on the team as any team we've ever had.  Our current group of sophomores was rated a top 5 mid major class by ESPN and due to the amount they played last year, they aren't your average sophomores, they are seasoned college basketball players.  The current freshman were also very highly touted and should give us some much needed front court depth.

Last year was a rough one as we had 1 senior and lost our all SoCon player Willie Powers before the season began.  We were forced to play a team with a boatload of freshman who looked good at times but always found a way to lose.  We've looked much better through our two exhibition games this year due to getting Powers back in the backcourt to go with Ben Drayton who is an undersized but very skilled player.  SG Eric Ferguson has been tabbed an NBA prospect.  Fox Sports wrote an article about him saying he could have played for anybody in the country but CY is his godfather and he came to Statesboro to play for him.  Hes a very tough matchup for people at the 2 or the 3 with his 6'7 height and long wingspan.  SG/PG Jelani Hewitt was a very highly touted recruit who played a ton last year and was a good player for us and Tre Bussey had his moments.  We will be without freshman Tyrone Brown who is our biggest body down low for this and the next game due to a team rules violation.  Our front court will have long, lean guys who can rebound the ball and block shots but won't figure into the gameplan on offense as much as our guards.  We love to get up and down the court and run.  This year we have the team who can do it.  I'd imagine you will see us pressure the basketball with some full court presses at times, especially if we can cause turnovers and don't get into foul trouble.

Hope to see a good group of Valpo fans at Hanner Fieldhouse. 

Great post, ChadWC.  Sounds like we are going to have our hands full.  Good luck to your team!

drewsaders11

Interesting post, ChadWC.  I initially thought "game against a 5-27 team with two wins...easy win".  But after reading that, I checked the GS schedule from last year, and in their last ten games, they went 1-9, but 8 losses were in single digits, so apparently by season's end they were at least in games (albeit, in a lesser conference).  However, we don't want a let down from the good play we showed in Arizona (at least the first twenty and final four minutes).  A win is expected, in my opinion.

johnestuff

Who's going to this game, and where are you driving from? I will be in Waycross, GA Friday noon, and trying to get to the game with no transportation. (Can't drive 18 wheeler that far!)

sliman

The Willie Powers mentioned by ChadWC scored 27 for Georgia Southern in a hard-fought win for Valpo there two years ago.  To view this as an easy win is to underestimate them.

vu84v2

ChadWC

I cannot describe to you in words how much more talented this team is than the one Valpo faced two years ago.  Not saying we are great or will be in the tourney, but based purely on talent alone, this is a much more talented and deeper team.  We were also playing one of our first games in a new system in our last meeting as well.

I probably make us sound like world beaters a little much, but we have some very good players.  This year is about our sophomores taking a step forward to go along with those two seniors in the back court.  Those two guys can play.  If our sophs play like they are capable and our freshman provide depth, we will challenge for the SoCon.  If they are inconsistent, we will probably be a middle of the pack team. 

Quote from: sliman on November 10, 2011, 10:25:23 AM
The Willie Powers mentioned by ChadWC scored 27 for Georgia Southern in a hard-fought win for Valpo there two years ago.  To view this as an easy win is to underestimate them.

ChadWC

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18700&ATCLID=205331134

Thats the link to the game preview, game notes, and a link to our season preview video with our head coach that was released today.  If anybody is interested. 

agibson

Quote from: sectionee on November 10, 2011, 05:41:03 PM
Here is the game preview we'll throw your way, http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2011/11/valpo-vs-georgia-southern-preview.html

And the "official" game notes are over at
http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/11180/valpo-continues-season-opening-road-trip-at-georgia-southern/
but I suppose that's easy enough for even a visiting opponent to find.

I see they do now have a WAKE link up for audio - suggesting there may, indeed, be a Valpo call for the game.   (I don't know about the total number of broadcast setups.  But, there always is a radio broadcast for any Valpo basketball game, isn't there?)

valpopal

Pomeroy predicts Valpo by 3. Vegas odds have that doubled with Valpo by 6. I will be optimistic and triple Pomeroy, plus we reverse the Arizona score:

Valpo         73
Georgia S.  64

agibson

I've forgotten, does Pomeroy mean much of anything at this point?  I think he does pre-populate with something, but is it last season's results?  Or something else?

(Detroit's #2, so maybe it is something a bit meaningful.)

Anyhow, I think they'll mean a lot _more_ in three-four weeks.  And more yet when conference play gets going.

Also, I notice he's going pay!  Not for the main ratings page.  But, for details.  Not yet clear to me which details will cost $$.

valpotx

Interesting that the GSU women's head coach considers us a 'named program' when commenting on us and Arizona playing there tomorrow (Arizona women vs. GSU).  Good to know that we are considered that in some circles :-)
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: ChadWC on November 10, 2011, 05:24:55 PM
I cannot describe to you in words how much more talented this team is than the one Valpo faced two years ago.  Not saying we are great or will be in the tourney, but based purely on talent alone, this is a much more talented and deeper team.  We were also playing one of our first games in a new system in our last meeting as well.

I probably make us sound like world beaters a little much, but we have some very good players.  This year is about our sophomores taking a step forward to go along with those two seniors in the back court.  Those two guys can play.  If our sophs play like they are capable and our freshman provide depth, we will challenge for the SoCon.  If they are inconsistent, we will probably be a middle of the pack team. 

Thanks, ChadWC! That was a very fair and "balanced" report on your team. I'm not sure all our posters would be so evenly handed if they were reporting on Valpo on Georgia Southern's website. We got some posters that are all rosy and everything is great and others that go way beyond critical but help balance out the board. Take each comment with a grain of salt as you would on any board.

vu72

you mean the post about us going to the final 4?  Sounds like we will have our hands full.  Probably full court pressure as well.  Hope Tommy, Will and Erik can handle the heat.  We will need to shoot well to win.  Rather beat a team with expectations of a good season than one who finishes in the bottom of their conference.  Will help us get a higher seed!

For those with no sense of humor, I'm joking!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo04

Just an FYI... to get to the chat room tonight, just go up to the Valpo Fan Zone menu item and it will drop down.  You can select Crusader Chat there.

wh

Quote from: historyman on November 11, 2011, 06:39:48 AM
Quote from: ChadWC on November 10, 2011, 05:24:55 PM

Thanks, ChadWC! That was a very fair and "balanced" report on your team. I'm not sure all our posters would be so evenly handed if they were reporting on Valpo on Georgia Southern's website. We got some posters that are all rosy and everything is great and others that go way beyond critical but help balance out the board. Take each comment with a grain of salt as you would on any board.

Actually, Chad's characterization of his team is full of optimism and positivity.  He even admits that he is probably making his team look like "world beaters" a little too much.  Doesn't that mean he is looking at GS through "rose colored glasses?"  On reexamination you may want to take his post "with a grain of salt."

As to your larger concern about balance on the Valpo board:
Positivity + negativity = balance
Optimism + pessimism = balance
Praise + criticism = balance
Never fear, historyman.  Negative, pessimistic, critical people are everywhere in life to help balance the equation.  I'm sure we will be fine.