• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

O Freeman-Haters, Where Art Thou?

Started by Crusader03, November 17, 2011, 11:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

Officially, we're 0-1 (with a nailbiter loss on the road), but we played very well in two exhibitions.  The talent level on the team looks significantly better this year and the team just has a special feel to it (IMHO).  The program is clearly on the verge of a rebirth, thanks in large part to the leadership of Coach Freeman.

Several months ago, I know it was fashionable 'round these parts to bash Keith...I'm not trying to pick a fight, but how are you guys feeling now that we are sittin' much prettier?  Is it fair to say it is time to eat a little crow?

DMvalpo18

Do we really need to be rehashing this?

Crusader03

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on November 17, 2011, 11:20:07 PM

Just curious to see people's perspectives on Keith and the Lady 'Saders after a fast start to the season.  I know my faith and trust has been solidified.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: Crusader03 on November 17, 2011, 11:21:57 PM
Quote from: DMvalpo18 on November 17, 2011, 11:20:07 PM

Just curious to see people's perspectives on Keith and the Lady 'Saders after a fast start to the season.  I know my faith and trust has been solidified.

Well, I guess it's good that you are optimistic. But I don't see how you view 0-1 as a fast start. And I also am not sure why one game is enough to solidify your faith in them.

valpotx

Too early to tell as DM mentioned.  He has always been able to get the talent to our program, it is just a matter of managing that talent this year...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpofan56

This is easily one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen.  They lost their only game this year to a team that they beat last year by 9 points. Talk to me 3 months from now if Valpo is in contention for the HL title. Until then, please shut up!

valpo4life

I am confused to how things are looking up for the Women's team so far.  In an exhibition game, they won by 3 points against St. Joseph who is one of the worst teams in their D2 conference. And they lost to SIU Edwardsville. Not the normal SIU, SIU Edwardsville. Being completely honest, I feel as if our team would struggle competing with quality D2 teams. I hope it turns around soon, just giving my outlook on the team.

Pgmado

I wouldn't be so sure that he would've jumped ship in a heartbeat to go to GB.

The truth right now is that in a year when he has to win, Freeman is dealing with more injuries than he's ever dealt with before. Betsy Adams (leg injury), Stefanie Lang (back), Ashley Timmerman (shin), Jessica Carr (hip) and Maegan Callaway (back) are all banged up. This doesn't even count the concussion that Tabitha Gerardot had earlier this fall and the recovery that Ashley Varner is going through with her knee. Throw in the ridiculous NCAA rulings that have sidelined Ieva Jansone for 11 games and Charae Richardson (top two players on the team) and you can see where some problems are.

Don't sleep on Edwardsville this season. They just destroyed a solid Ball State team this week, making the near-miss against them all the more frustrating for Valpo. Brighter days are ahead.

jack

Like others, I fail to see the purpose of this thread, if only to stir the pot. It's far too soon to state we are a much improved team. We don't even have a "W" yet. Personally, I don't think we'll have a clear indication of where we're at until after the holidays. Having said that, I do see a lot of promise with this squad, and do feel we have a better chemistry then we seen the past few years. As long as we improve, week to week, that's all we can expect, or ask for.

Crusader03

Quote from: Pgmado on November 18, 2011, 02:43:24 AM
I wouldn't be so sure that he would've jumped ship in a heartbeat to go to GB.

The truth right now is that in a year when he has to win, Freeman is dealing with more injuries than he's ever dealt with before. Betsy Adams (leg injury), Stefanie Lang (back), Ashley Timmerman (shin), Jessica Carr (hip) and Maegan Callaway (back) are all banged up. This doesn't even count the concussion that Tabitha Gerardot had earlier this fall and the recovery that Ashley Varner is going through with her knee. Throw in the ridiculous NCAA rulings that have sidelined Ieva Jansone for 11 games and Charae Richardson (top two players on the team) and you can see where some problems are.

Don't sleep on Edwardsville this season. They just destroyed a solid Ball State team this week, making the near-miss against them all the more frustrating for Valpo. Brighter days are ahead.

;)  THANK YOU!

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on November 18, 2011, 06:29:51 AM
Like others, I fail to see the purpose of this thread, if only to stir the pot. It's far too soon to state we are a much improved team. We don't even have a "W" yet. Personally, I don't think we'll have a clear indication of where we're at until after the holidays. Having said that, I do see a lot of promise with this squad, and do feel we have a better chemistry then we seen the past few years. As long as we improve, week to week, that's all we can expect, or ask for.

Jack, have you had a chance to watch the team?  I know you have been a Keith-supporter in the past, so I'm surprised you are not more excited about him and the team.  As PGMADO mentioned, the Lady 'Saders have been riddled with injuries.  Add what you've seen to a healthy/eligible squad and we are looking EXTREMELY solid.

Hey, I'm an optimist...what can I say?

wh

I have removed by earlier post.  I agree with others that it is too soon to tell anything.

Trufan

Quote from: valpo4life on November 18, 2011, 01:40:16 AM
I am confused to how things are looking up for the Women's team so far.  In an exhibition game, they won by 3 points against St. Joseph who is one of the worst teams in their D2 conference. And they lost to SIU Edwardsville. Not the normal SIU, SIU Edwardsville. Being completely honest, I feel as if our team would struggle competing with quality D2 teams. I hope it turns around soon, just giving my outlook on the team.

I agree it's too early... But don't sleep the on St. Joseph game also. This team just pulled off a huge upset to the 21st ranked Grand Valley State in their division.

"Sunday afternoon as the Saint Joseph's College women's basketball team upset the 21st ranked Grand Valley State University. SJC put together a strong second half to rout GVSU 66-47 at Richard F. Scharf Alumni Fieldhouse."

IndyValpo

Wow, where to begin....

I could jump on 03 for another dumb post, but I won't..

I do have a few thoughts and questions.
1. Please never call them the Lady 'saders again.  I hate that.
2. When did the JUCO transfers get annoited as the best two players on the team? They may be, I have never heard that.
3. What were the NCAA reasons for not letting them play.
4. Unfortunately, I see the injury excuse being drug out to explain many things this year.
5. My opinion we should beat SIU-E regardless.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 18, 2011, 09:39:25 AM
Wow, where to begin....

2. When did the JUCO transfers get annoited as the best two players on the team? They may be, I have never heard that.
4. Unfortunately, I see the injury excuse being drug out to explain many things this year.

As far as reason #3, I have class with one of them(Richardson). I think she is being penalized a year because she is transfer. I'm not sure she is a JUCO  transfer.

valporun

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on November 18, 2011, 11:53:52 AMI think she is being penalized a year because she is transfer. I'm not sure she is a JUCO  transfer.

That's strange that she would be penalized a year as a juco transfer.

In terms of the thread, yes, it is way too early to say our team is improved. The exhibition games give individual indicators of any improvement, but don't always provide the best indicators of team improvement. One regular season game doesn't always give the best opportunity to show anything.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: valporun on November 18, 2011, 12:55:27 PM
Quote from: DMvalpo18 on November 18, 2011, 11:53:52 AMI think she is being penalized a year because she is transfer. I'm not sure she is a JUCO  transfer.

That's strange that she would be penalized a year as a juco transfer.

In terms of the thread, yes, it is way too early to say our team is improved. The exhibition games give individual indicators of any improvement, but don't always provide the best indicators of team improvement. One regular season game doesn't always give the best opportunity to show anything.

I was saying that i thought she was not a JUCO transfer though. Am I wrong? Is she?

vu72

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on November 18, 2011, 11:53:52 AM
Wow, where to begin....

As far as reason #3, I have class with one of them(Richardson). I think she is being penalized a year because she is transfer. I'm not sure she is a JUCO  transfer.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/roster/2011-12/4791/charae-richardson/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Good question, why do both have to sit out?  Aren't both Vincennes and Miles City CC schools where you can transfer without sitting out a year?  It must have to do with credit transfer or something
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader03

Wow, where to begin....

Have I had that many?

Pgmado

Ieva played/practiced with a pro team, never took any money, but the NCAA ruled she had to sit 11 games because of a rule that was in place several years ago. The kicker is that if Ieva were a freshman this year, she wouldn't have to sit, but she's basically being grandfathered into the rule. I'd also go so far as to say that if Ieva didn't have to miss the first 11 games of the year, a Big Ten team probably would've jumped on her.

As for Charae, I won't get into it here, but let's just say the NCAA has a funny way of looking after their student-athletes.

Crusader03

Quote from: Pgmado on November 18, 2011, 05:19:54 PM
Ieva played/practiced with a pro team, never took any money, but the NCAA ruled she had to sit 11 games because of a rule that was in place several years ago. The kicker is that if Ieva were a freshman this year, she wouldn't have to sit, but she's basically being grandfathered into the rule. I'd also go so far as to say that if Ieva didn't have to miss the first 11 games of the year, a Big Ten team probably would've jumped on her.

As for Charae, I won't get into it here, but let's just say the NCAA has a funny way of looking after their student-athletes.

Again, thanks for the scoop!  Hey, you should be a reporter or something!  :lol:

jack

Quote from: Crusader03 on November 18, 2011, 08:14:02 AM
Quote from: jack on November 18, 2011, 06:29:51 AM

Jack, have you had a chance to watch the team?  I know you have been a Keith-supporter in the past, so I'm surprised you are not more excited about him and the team.  As PGMADO mentioned, the Lady 'Saders have been riddled with injuries.  Add what you've seen to a healthy/eligible squad and we are looking EXTREMELY solid.

Hey, I'm an optimist...what can I say?
I, too, am optimistic about the team this year, I just think it's far too early to say they're going to be a much improved squad this season. I've seen a lot of good, possitive aspects of their game so far, but it's hard to hang your hat on anything until we get the majority of these ladies healthy and playing. I thought our defense played extremely well in the second half against Rice yesterday but we're still turning the ball over a lot. I'd have to say the talent is there to be able to compete with anyone in the conference. Putting the right players on the floor at the right time will be the challenge. We'll see how well the coaching staff can do this once we have the majority of our players healthy, and ready to compete. I still feel we won't have a true picture of where we're at until after the holidays.

valpotx

Something seems wrong with grandfathering in a rule for a player just because they are not a FR.  I would think if they enact a rule that makes people immediately eligible now as a FR, she shouldn't be treated any differently coming from a JC.  I guess it is a good thing though if a Big 10 team would have gotten her if this was not the case.
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Quote from: valpotx on November 21, 2011, 11:08:56 AM

Something seems wrong with grandfathering in a rule for a player just because they are not a FR.  I would think if they enact a rule that makes people immediately eligible now as a FR, she shouldn't be treated any differently coming from a JC.  I guess it is a good thing though if a Big 10 team would have gotten her if this was not the case.
How is it possible to get a trasfer as a Freshman, unless they transfer mid-term, at which point they'd have to sit out anyway, wouldn't they? I also though if you transfered down, say D1 to D2 or D2 to D3, etc. you weren't penalized any playing time. Maybe things have changed.