• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let’s Speculate! Potential Valparaiso head basketball coach candidates

Started by Just Sayin, January 14, 2023, 07:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

Systems can vary, but they dictate a style of offensive and/or defensive play. Saint Mary's, for instance, has a system that emphasizes patient half-court sets that reduce the overall number of possessions. Wisconsin is the same. In another example, Marquette under Shaka Smart emphasizes motion and ball movement on offense and disruption via deflections on defense. For Providence or UConn, it is physical play that focuses on controlling the paint on the offensive and defensive ends. For Villanova, it is constant ball reversal to the open three point shooter - and everyone can shoot the three. Some systems are more subtle, but there are clear go-to's based on situation or when the team is struggling (e.g., Kansas). For each of these teams, they prioritize getting players who fit in that system...and players get less time if they don't work within that system.

Chitwood

I am definitely in the non-D2 coach camp.

That's a move you make when things are going well and you have a stable program, with sustained success. That's when you can take a big swing. We are not in that situation. D2 coaches are high risk and high reward. But, they bring no name recognition (to fans or players) and are in a completely different recruiting pool (so, they have no prior relationship with any potential transfers or HSers). Those are two major, major negatives.

We need someone to galvanize the program. Think about some of the options. I think Dusty May is overrated but at least he can say "hey I have coached a top 25 team." Big Ten assistants can say "I can make you the next TJD or Ayo, here is what I did with them." Plus, you might be able to get a player to come with them (someone like Anthony Leal is not getting playing time at Indiana, bring his assistant, maybe you get him to come him.

Whatever Valpo does. It has to benefit recruiting and it has to get players/fans excited. Picking a D2 coach no one has ever heard of is the complete opposite. No matter how good a coach he is, if we don't have the players/talent or the excitement around the program, it's not going to succeed. I would rather keep the current staff and save up some money than go D2.

usc4valpo

Disagree - this guy  at NW Mo St. s a proven commodity. Multiple national championships and they play decent basketball in D2. His teams are better than 100 teams in D1 and his coaching has been exemplary.

VULB#62

I agree USC. Coaching is coaching. Good coaches know their limitations (and every coach has limitations) and they find assistants to bolster those areas. But it is still 5 players, two baskets and a ball. It's what you do with those components that makes the difference.

Fordham this season is a good example. For a generation since Digger Phelps, Fordham basketball has been a losing proposition. Then they hired a former Villanova assistant. Last season they slogged their way to 16-16. Villanova came calling and snapped the guy up to fill their open HC position. One of his assistants who was never a DI HC, was promoted to HC.  He immediately put his stamp on the team, changed an improving culture into a tough, take no prisoners culture in his first year. As of last week they were in second place in the A-10 (are you paying attention Loyola?). They lost to Richmond recently but the Richmond coach was quoted as saying something like this is not the Fordham that everyone was used to in the past. One year, pretty much the same kids, a new coach, a new vibe, a new result. Coaching matters; good coaching matters a lot. And good coaching is not restricted to what NCAA level one is coaching at.

I have no doubt that either McCollum or Tonagle would've produced at least 5 or 6  more wins at this point with our current players.

JD24

One thing about McCollum is that he's basically a lifer at NWMoSt. Played there. Assistant there. HC there. He's been there 13 years or so and it's inconceivable that he hasn't been approached about a position at a higher level. He may simply be happy there and I doubt he's sitting around just waiting for the call from Valpo.

usc4valpo

Great comments. I doubt MCCollum would go to Valpo with great gig at NW Mo. St. watching them the past two years, I am really impressed with their ball movement and defense.

He won't say it of course, but have a feeling Lottich wants to move on and waiting for Valpo to pull the plug. Maybe he is in quiet quitter mode as seen recently in the work environment.

may know

Mike Brey announced today he is not retiring and will be available on the coaching market.

VU2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 09, 2023, 05:33:56 AM
Great comments. I doubt MCCollum would go to Valpo with great gig at NW Mo. St. watching them the past two years, I am really impressed with their ball movement and defense.

He won't say it of course, but have a feeling Lottich wants to move on and waiting for Valpo to pull the plug. Maybe he is in quiet quitter mode as seen recently in the work environment.

Say what you will about Lottich but the guy is insanely competitive. With his childhood and upbringing he needed to compete for everything he got in life. There is no quit in him.

Do I think it's time to move on? Absolutely, but I'll never question the guys drive to succeed. He's a competitor at heart.

mp91

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 08, 2023, 09:31:16 PM
I agree USC. Coaching is coaching. Good coaches know their limitations (and every coach has limitations) and they find assistants to bolster those areas. But it is still 5 players, two baskets and a ball. It's what you do with those components that makes the difference.

Fordham this season is a good example. For a generation since Digger Phelps, Fordham basketball has been a losing proposition. Then they hired a former Villanova assistant. Last season they slogged their way to 16-16. Villanova came calling and snapped the guy up to fill their open HC position. One of his assistants who was never a DI HC, was promoted to HC.  He immediately put his stamp on the team, changed an improving culture into a tough, take no prisoners culture in his first year. As of last week they were in second place in the A-10 (are you paying attention Loyola?). They lost to Richmond recently but the Richmond coach was quoted as saying something like this is not the Fordham that everyone was used to in the past. One year, pretty much the same kids, a new coach, a new vibe, a new result. Coaching matters; good coaching matters a lot. And good coaching is not restricted to what NCAA level one is coaching at.

I have no doubt that either McCollum or Tonagle would've produced at least 5 or 6  more wins at this point with our current players.

Completely disagree with this – particularly the thesis of your argument.

First, coaching is always great coaching, true. But, Valpo's problem is not just coaching – it's recruiting, culture, reputation, and interest. There is so much more to being a D1 coach than coaching. Being a great D2 coach is a completely different proposition than D1. And, college basketball is riddled with D2 coaches that failed for this reason. If our only problem was coaching, I could see taking a big swing, but we can't afford to do that now.

Secondly, and more importantly, you are a bit off on the Fordham situation. In fact, Fordham actually supports the opposite conclusion you were looking for. To start, Fordham had not had a .500 or better season since 2007. So, the Villanova assistant going 16-16 in his first year was actually a major improvement. Plus, he quickly added numerous players in the transfer portal, including one who is one of the best players in the A-10 today and a major reason for their success this season. Similarly, Neptune also secured the highest recruit, Will Richardson, the school brought in in over 15 years. Thus, Neptune rebuilt the culture and talent nucleus of the team in just one season. He was a large part of the foundation for success they have now. Moreover, the new coach was not purely a D2 guy. He spent numerous years at Penn State and also was an assistant under Neptune. Therefore, I think Fordham is actually more of a shining example of why you should go after a power conference assistant, rather than a D2 guy.

We need better recruits and a better culture quickly. That is something a well-known power conference assistant or highly regarded lower level head coach can bring that a D2 coach cannot.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: mp91 on February 14, 2023, 11:50:56 AM

First, coaching is always great coaching, true. But, Valpo's problem is not just coaching – it's recruiting, culture, reputation, and interest. There is so much more to being a D1 coach than coaching. Being a great D2 coach is a completely different proposition than D1. And, college basketball is riddled with D2 coaches that failed for this reason. If our only problem was coaching, I could see taking a big swing, but we can't afford to do that now.

Secondly, and more importantly, you are a bit off on the Fordham situation. In fact, Fordham actually supports the opposite conclusion you were looking for. To start, Fordham had not had a .500 or better season since 2007. So, the Villanova assistant going 16-16 in his first year was actually a major improvement. Plus, he quickly added numerous players in the transfer portal, including one who is one of the best players in the A-10 today and a major reason for their success this season. Similarly, Neptune also secured the highest recruit, Will Richardson, the school brought in in over 15 years. Thus, Neptune rebuilt the culture and talent nucleus of the team in just one season. He was a large part of the foundation for success they have now. Moreover, the new coach was not purely a D2 guy. He spent numerous years at Penn State and also was an assistant under Neptune. Therefore, I think Fordham is actually more of a shining example of why you should go after a power conference assistant, rather than a D2 guy.

We need better recruits and a better culture quickly. That is something a well-known power conference assistant or highly regarded lower level head coach can bring that a D2 coach cannot.

More than anything, Valparaiso needs someone with some serious energy and vision. To overcome the subpar facilities and lack of overall investment from the university, someone will really need to have a strong gameplan for how to win at Valpo and subsequently work very hard to get there. I agree on the thought of a power conference assistant, as they understand the importance of talent acquisition, but that will require Valpo to pay their head coach more than what they currently do. Are they willing to do that?

usc4valpo

Matt Lottich had a rough upbringing? Interesting. He went to HS at New Trier in Winnetka, the Hoi Polloi of public high schools in Illinois.

vu72

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on February 14, 2023, 12:11:48 PMI agree on the thought of a power conference assistant, as they understand the importance of talent acquisition, but that will require Valpo to pay their head coach more than what they currently do. Are they willing to do that?

I don't think that's accurate.

Here is info on Big Ten assistant coaches salaries written four years ago so maybe a little outdated:

Published assistant coach salaries for

Ryan Pedon, Ohio State — $395,000

Orlando Antigua, Illinois — $350,000

Kevin Broadus, Maryland — $327,000

Mike Schrage, Ohio State — $325,000

Tom Ostrom, Indiana — $315,000

Terry Johnson, Ohio State — $300,000

Bruiser Flint, Indiana — $300,000

Karl Hobbs, Rutgers — $300,000

Brandin Knight, Rutgers — $300,000

Dwayne Stephens, Michigan State — $287,000

Ed Schilling, Indiana — $275,000

Jamall Walker, Illinois — $275,000

Dane Fife, Michigan State — $267,500

Mike Garland, Michigan State — $267,500

Armon Gates, Nebraska — $256,000

Here is an article written in June of 2021, so also a little outdated, which shows Matt made $346,334:

Men's basketball
#* Porter Moser, Loyola — $1,096,244
Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa — $900,000
* Brian Wardle, Bradley — $708,920
Dan Muller, Illinois State — $564,000
Bryan Mullins, Southern Illinois — $475,000
Dana Ford, Missouri State — $438,368
* Matt Lottich, Valparaiso — $346,334
@ Darian DeVries, Drake — $334,706
Josh Schertz, Indiana State — $300,000
% Walter McCarty, Evansville — $225,619

No stretch at all to think we could land one of these guys without breaking the bank.  Even a small pay cut might be worth it to become the head guy and build his own program.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 14, 2023, 01:28:17 PM
Matt Lottich had a rough upbringing? Interesting. He went to HS at New Trier in Winnetka, the Hoi Polloi of public high schools in Illinois.

Touched on it in this story that netted me a Lisagor Award from the Chicago Headline Club.

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/vus-matt-lottich-and-milwaukees-todd-townsend-are-forever-brothers/article_4790ab93-86f2-5f83-9858-0b419dcd7bdc.html

VULB#62

Quote from: mp91 on February 14, 2023, 11:50:56 AM

19, I think you missed my points.  We agree that good coaching (i.e. " the system." and the day to day actual coaching chops) exists regardless of level.  That is why I mentioned that either McCollum or Tonagel, who are good in-game, Xs and Os decision makers would have already won 5 or 6 more games with the current players.

My second point was precisely that Fordham turned itself around immediately (which accurately you highlight) by making a HC change. That was to underscore a need for change regardless of level. Related to that I must correct your assertion that I said that the assistant that took over for Neptune was a D-II guy. Nowhere did I state that. My reference to the guy who's in there now was to further illustrate that change (this time a quantum leap over the previous year's quantum leap) can happen -- in the Fordham situation, it's a case of lightning striking the same spot twice.

Finally, we agree to disagree on whether it is impossible for a former D-II HC to recruit better and immediately change the culture.  I do think it's possible and depending on the candidate it might not be that big of a swing.

Dr. T

Does anyone know if ML has a contract through the 24-25 season? If so, goodness that's two more years of this subpar mediocrity.

VU2014

Picking the brain of two Valpo Legends on what it takes to succeed at Valpo and what are good coaching qualities? (Wishful thinking?)

I would 100% ask and tap into Homer and Bryce opinion on the next HC hire. Hypothetically if this is what this meeting was about, the timelines up. If we were moving on from Lottich, AD Small would be doing his homework now and tapping into his connections a few months before hand. Take the meeting now with Homer and Bryce a few weeks before conference tournaments start.

The announcement of moving away from Lottich would happen probably within a week of Arch Madness wrapping. Start the search early when most coaches are ending their seasons if tourney play isn't in their teams future. AD Small and President Padilla would 100% want to be at the Final 4, because it's a gathering of coaches and pretty much used as a networking event. If they could lock in on a candidate by then they could start recruiting their future staff right then and there.

I'm saying Jake Diebler (Ohio State might have a coaching change soon) or Roger Powell should be two guys in the mix for obvious reasons, but I hope we don't limit ourselves to just the Valpo Coaching Tree. I think since AD Small is an outsider, he definitely wouldn't limit himself like that. He's from Iowa State so I'd be very interested in looking at the last few Iowa State Coaching Staffs and see if a hire has a connection to those recent coaching trees.

https://twitter.com/charles_small15/status/1626221828309135360?s=46&t=CDsC28Dq2xwSf30LrwMaSA

David81

Homer is looking pretty sprightly! Maybe he'd like to be on the sidelines again for a few seasons!

Just kidding.

I think.  ???

valpofb16

It's been shot down but I think Roger Powell would be awesome.

Up & Comer, Illinois roots, Big game experience... One can wish.

Dr. T

If only I could've been a fly on the wall to listen in on the conversation Dr. Small had with Bryce & Homer ... or, even better, to get in the mind of Dr. Small and know what he was *thinking* while meeting with these two Valpo legends. I'm sorry, but there's no way - given his basketball regimen personally, professionally, and administratively - that he thinks this program is progressing in any way, shape, or form.

historyman

Quote from: valpofb16 on February 17, 2023, 04:53:41 PM

Here's the issue, Roger knows about the facilities at Valpo and that nothing has changed. He also knows that there are much better opportunities out there and the right one will come calling. Why waste Preacher's time at Valpo? Been there done that.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

Quote from: historyman on February 17, 2023, 10:38:58 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on February 17, 2023, 04:53:41 PM

Here's the issue, Roger knows about the facilities at Valpo and that nothing has changed. He also knows that there are much better opportunities out there and the right one will come calling. Why waste Preacher's time at Valpo? Been there done that.

Just because he said no earlier in his career when thought he wasn't ready to be an HC doesn't mean he wouldn't say yes now. It sounds like wants to be an HC now and has been rumored as a candidate for recent MVC HC openings in recent years.

I wouldn't rule out Roger Powell. He would know what he's signing up for and the challenges. A complete rebuild is needed here

beacons23

This thread is an epic waste of time
Valpo will not pay out a contract of this magnitude for someone "not" to coach
Like it or not Matt Lottich is our HC for the remainder of his contract

We do not have the resources nor the alumni base(donors) to pay to make a change

Start with trying to make WBB better-not hard to do as they are at an all time low
It shows that the President and AD are serious about improving athletics-while not having to come up with 500 k give or take

4throwfan

23, if you think the thread is a waste of time, then don't read it.

It may give others enjoyment to participate in these exercises.

beacons23

Nice that you enjoy discussing a man losing his job.
Really seems you embody the spirit of a Lutheran University.