• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on July 10, 2019, 05:01:41 PM
https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1149029705074520065

Moussa is a great story, so please don't misread what I'm about to say.  But that story seemed disjointed and poorly presented, anyone else have a hard time getting into it?

VULB#62

Agree. Quite hard to follow the timeline. The story also seems to present Mousa as just a Valpo student and does not mention his years at Alabama. However, there is no question about the difficulty of his journey. Moving to Michigan City puts him real close to Valpo and I repeat my earlier question: "Could he come in P/T and help school our bigs?"

swiftmutiny

Just a quick reminder that Moussa Mbaye and Moussa Gueye are two different people, both from Senegal, who played for Valpo Basketball at different times. Moussa Mbaye never played for Alabama, but Moussa Gueye did.

VULB#62

Thanks for the correction. Mbaye played at Valpo 2003-2007.  Listed as a C/F at 6'9". My question still stands - can he help our bigs?

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 11, 2019, 12:36:47 PM
Thanks for the correction. Mbaye played at Valpo 2003-2007.  Listed as a C/F at 6'9". My question still stands - can he help our bigs?

Let's just say I never thought of him as having mastered the fine points of basketball fundamentals.  He had a very unorthodox style. 

bbtds

Quote from: swiftmutiny on July 11, 2019, 09:43:01 AM
Just a quick reminder that Moussa Mbaye and Moussa Gueye are two different people, both from Senegal, who played for Valpo Basketball at different times. Moussa Mbaye never played for Alabama, but Moussa Gueye did.

Also they are not to be confused with Antti "Moussa" Nikkila, who could play like a moose at times but as a person was as gentle as a lamb.

oklahomamick

looks like the Thunder improved to 8-28 from 3 point land
CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

Quote from: bbtds on July 11, 2019, 05:09:47 PM

Also they are not to be confused with Antti "Moussa" Nikkila, who could play like a moose at times but as a person was as gentle as a lamb.

Prior to Vashil Fernandez leading the nation in blocks per game, I believe Antti Nikkila was the last Valpo player to lead the nation in a statistic: drawn free throw lane violations.

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on July 13, 2019, 05:52:45 PM
Quote from: bbtds on July 11, 2019, 05:09:47 PM

Prior to Vashil Fernandez leading the nation in blocks per game, I believe Antti Nikkila was the last Valpo player to lead the nation in a statistic: drawn free throw lane violations.

Alec,
Remember to eat turkey at Thanksgiving kand remind the Turks that in English the name of their country is the same as the bird. They love that.

valpotx

I just randomly clicked over to a The Basketball Tournament game between Jackson TN and Southern Gentlemen, and saw a Nickerson go to the hoop for a layup.  It is E Victor!

https://thetournament.com/players/e-victor-nickerson
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Well that was an upgrade for him, not..
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

I wish him well.  No negative vibes needed towards Micah, outside of some dumb decisions off the basketball court.
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: oklahomamick on July 24, 2019, 09:00:19 PM
Well that was an upgrade for him, not..

It wasn't about upgrading ... it was about finding a program where he could contribute.  I like his game, but he was never going to be in the rotation for an elite MVC program.

oklahomamick

nice, I didn't like his game. 

Thought he got a lot of playing time for his ability.  I believe he started more than not.  I didn't like his off court decisions or attitude. 

Regardless, he did what he needed to get a degree from a top liberal arts school in the midwest.  It will be awesome for him if he is able to get a masters and get a lot of playing time his last two years. 

I just felt like the school, the team, and the program gave more than what he gave. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Looks like an historically black university, as well as the conference.  He could be a star in that conference.  Lots of bus rides through Texas, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.  Good luck Micah!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on July 25, 2019, 11:21:30 AM
Looks like an historically black university, as well as the conference.  He could be a star in that conference.  Lots of bus rides through Texas, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.  Good luck Micah!!
I was concerned that no D-1 program would take the risk on his back problems. I would love to see him have a couple pain free seasons with his outside shot dropping.  :thumbsup:

VU2014

Bakari looks so much happier than he did at any point of last season. Injuries, losing, and personal issues can get to a kid I guess.

I'm genuinely curious to see how Bakari plays next season. He's a pretty good player when he's healthy. Will Fran get him to play defense? Will he play within the system and not take I'll advised shots?

https://twitter.com/iowahoops/status/1154411116405149697?s=21

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on July 25, 2019, 06:08:46 PM
Bakari looks so much happier than he did at any point of last season. Injuries, losing, and personal issues can get to a kid I guess.

I'm genuinely curious to see how Bakari plays next season. He's a pretty good player when he's healthy. Will Fran get him to play defense? Will he play within the system and not take I'll advised shots?

https://twitter.com/iowahoops/status/1154411116405149697?s=21

Bakari is selfish, slow afoot and off my radar!  PG in the B1G....I don't think he possesses the necessary speed or agility.  SG....maybe now you're talking.  I was not overly sad when he decided to transfer.  He and Smits were next level selfish by many accounts the past few years at Valpo and I welcome their efforts to find work elsewhere.  Frankly, I don't care how he was off the court because I'm here to watch winning team basketball.

There's my selfish rant ...

bigmosmithfan1

You guys all sound like jilted kids with the "selfish/problem child" nonsense. We have a coaching staff that didn't know how to utilize guys in the MVC that three high-major programs happily grabbed for their rosters. If they were that bad, they wouldn't have all landed upgrades like that. This is on Lottich and his staff until he's able to prove otherwise with results on the court.

bbtds

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on July 26, 2019, 12:27:33 PM
You guys all sound like jilted kids with the "selfish/problem child" nonsense. We have a coaching staff that didn't know how to utilize guys in the MVC that three high-major programs happily grabbed for their rosters. If they were that bad, they wouldn't have all landed upgrades like that. This is on Lottich and his staff until he's able to prove otherwise with results on the court.

As has been pointed out previously it's much easier to take on a player for one year on your roster who already has experience playing NCAA Div 1 basketball than for 4 years starting with his freshman year. If there is a scholarship available for one year the answer is to go the graduate transfer route. I doubt very much that those schools would have made the same 4 year commitment to those same former Valpo players.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on July 26, 2019, 12:40:46 PM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on July 26, 2019, 12:27:33 PM

As has been pointed out previously it's much easier to take on a player for one year on your roster who already has experience playing NCAA Div 1 basketball than for 4 years starting with his freshman year. If there is a scholarship available for one year the answer is to go the graduate transfer route. I doubt very much that those schools would have made the same 4 year commitment to those same former Valpo players.

Well put bbtds, this is not apples to apples.  Smits = 1 year, Sorolla = 1 year, Golder = 1 year, Bakari = 1 year, Micah = 2 years (extenuating circumstances). 

While I see where bigmosmith is coming from (Lottich does have a lot to prove), I would ask bigmosmith if he enjoyed the demeanor and attitude that Bakari and Smits brought to in-game circumstances?  In my experience (sports teams and business) it truly does not matter the talent of the teammate because if they cannot add to the team atmosphere then they are probably better off somewhere else.  If Lionel Messi (best soccer player in the world) cannot get Argentina to win games at a solid clip . . . then why would a 3 or 4 star recruit with an attitude problem be any different on a team sport?

On paper we were HL and MVC all-stars with bad attitudes, in reality we were a bunch of whinny poorly coached individuals.  I like Lottich as a person and hope he prevails, but no one can say that that mess of a team was not directly attributed to him.  Again, I am all for Lottich getting 1-2 more years but bigmosmith . . . .Bakari and Smits are better elsewhere!