• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Soccer Recruiting

Started by valpotx, May 15, 2013, 10:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Mike's network and program/family concept permit him to re-load rather than rebuild.  Valpo will never be non-competitive on his watch.

However, he and Carin, if the opportunity presents itself, will be the next to leave, unfortunately.  And in my judgement, after knowing Mike, it will not be the desire to just go bigger and better -- he loves it at Valpo.  But it'll be more along the lines of "I can only go so far on my own without institutional support."  I know Mark is trying, but budget priorities being what they are, great people like Mike and Carin are gonna get short-changed, and eventually they will be forced into a decision they'd rather not make.  We need to enjoy their contributions while we can.

LaPorteAveApostle

The thing we have in our favor, though, is that they are married.

If they were not, each might have left long ago for greener pastures--but what pasture is both greener AND going to be looking to fill those two positions at the same time?

Also ... that goalie... holy crap.  I wouldn't be surprised if FB and BB try to get him to walk on too :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

The goalie was recruited by Jeff Oleck who just took the assistant job at Northwestern.  It was good having an alumni on coaching staff.  No doubt that Avery has done a great job and probably has had opportunities else where.  The new coach he brought in will be good as well. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Got this from Mike.  "The schedule was funny this year, but I am happy with how it worked out.  We picked up some really fun games (at Tulsa, MSU, U of Mich, Dayton) in quirky ways as they are on the front or back end of a road trip for an already scheduled game, but with all the craziness in conference shuffling, these teams all had late openings.  The nice thing is that it will harden a new and inexperienced (at least playing for VU) back 4 and GK - those guys will have to come together quickly or we'll sink quickly before swimming.  The other good part is that it sets up 2014 for a great year as we only graduate 3 starters, have a large core of upperclassmen returning, and will have 9 to 11 home games (including Loyola - we are going to keep them on  for the foreseeable future in a home and away series)." 

Due to the 2013 OOC games the overall record in 2013 might not be great, but it is definitely a reload for both this year and next.

VULB#62

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 29, 2013, 08:12:02 PM
The thing we have in our favor, though, is that they are married.

If they were not, each might have left long ago for greener pastures--but what pasture is both greener AND going to be looking to fill those two positions at the same time?

Yep -- that's the key: "However, he and Carin, if the opportunity presents itself, will be the next to leave, unfortunately."

But VU can't rely on that and underfund two of the more competitive programs we have.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 30, 2013, 07:23:44 AMBut VU can't rely on that and underfund two of the more competitive programs we have.
Oh assuredly.  That'd be heinous.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 30, 2013, 07:04:06 AM
Got this from Mike.  "The schedule was funny this year, but I am happy with how it worked out.  We picked up some really fun games (at Tulsa, MSU, U of Mich, Dayton) in quirky ways as they are on the front or back end of a road trip for an already scheduled game, but with all the craziness in conference shuffling, these teams all had late openings.  The nice thing is that it will harden a new and inexperienced (at least playing for VU) back 4 and GK - those guys will have to come together quickly or we'll sink quickly before swimming.  The other good part is that it sets up 2014 for a great year as we only graduate 3 starters, have a large core of upperclassmen returning, and will have 9 to 11 home games (including Loyola - we are going to keep them on  for the foreseeable future in a home and away series)." 

Due to the 2013 OOC games the overall record in 2013 might not be great, but it is definitely a reload for both this year and next.

Nice to hear the explanation - thanks for posting it. Does he run a newsletter or something?  Or that was just a private email or similar?

valporun

I was thinking it was an email or maybe a post to the upcoming season's soccer blog. Great to see our coaches providing real insight into the scheduling, besides, "we could fit this game in as game on the return home", or "we needed to fill a gap in a couple of tough games with a team that we could rest some of the starters against".

VULB#62

Mike sends out a personalized MSO newsletter regularly to a supporter base.  He doesn't update the MSO blog that much and that is usually reserved for the off-field stuff.  If you are interested in the Newsletter send him an email  (soccer@valpo.edu) and request to be added to the mailing list.  He's a very good and thoughtful writer. Reading the newsletters you really understand the bond he has forged with and among his players.  There's a reason he can keep close to 40 soccer players engaged when only a core of 15 or so play the lions share of the minutes.