• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ray Jr.

Started by valpotx, January 31, 2014, 11:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I went to another Mavs game tonight, completely forgetting that little Ray was on the Kings.  Let me tell you, it was a complete pleasure watching his butt plastered to the Kings bench all game as the
Mavs went on to victory :).  I do have to give him some positive feedback though, as he was the first guy to slap the hands of his teammates during every single stop in play, even coming from the end of the bench to do so.  Enough positive feedback now, as I feel gross just saying that lol.  I was telling my wife who he was, and she definitely remembers me ranting about him 2 seasons ago after that dunk ;).
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140503/SPORTS0102/305030018/Ray-McCallum-Jr-encouraged-after-first-season-NBA?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Kid did better than probably everyone including even his dad thought this year.  Probably good enough to earn another year, which for a second round pick is about all you can ask for.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

He received a big boost in playing time once the Kings made the decision to trade a few people from the Guard pool, and to play young guys over the last 20 games.  I would hope that he would get a second year, since he signed a 3 year contract for $2.3 million ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

So did Jimmer Fredette ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

From the Horizon League site:

McCallum Earns NBA Summer League Championship MVP
LAS VEGAS -- Behind a 29-point, nine-rebound effort, 2013 Horizon League Player of the Year Ray McCallum (Beverly Hills, Mich./Detroit Country Day) earned most valuable player honors in the NBA Summer League championship game on Monday night, leading the Sacramento Kings to a 77-68 win over the Houston Rockets at the Thomas & Mack Center.

McCallum, who starred for Detroit from 2010-13 and collected two First Team All-Horizon League honors during that time, scored nine of his game-high 29 points in the fourth quarter as the Kings overcame an eight-point deficit with 5:28 to play.

After the Kings went up by one with 2:08 to play, McCallum scored seven straight points for Sacramento to help seal the game.

In helping the Kings go 6-1 at the Summer League, McCallum averaged averaged 12.0 points, 5.0 rebounds, and 4.1 assists during his seven games. After being tabbed with the 36th overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft by Sacramento, McCallum appeared in 45 games, averaging 6.2 points, 1.8 rebounds and 2.9 assists.

Highlights from the game can be viewed here.

McCallum was one of six former Horizon League standouts competing in the Summer League, joining Travis Bader (Oakland/Philadelphia, Golden State), Alec Brown (Green Bay/Phoenix), Eli Holman (Detroit/Miami), Nick Minnerath (Detroit/Brooklyn) and Kendrick Perry (Youngstown State/Orlando).