• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/16 Valpo WBB vs. LOYOLA @ THE ARC! GET IT GIRLS! (Game thread)

Started by SadersofthelostArc, January 13, 2013, 07:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Quote from: valpo4life on January 18, 2013, 02:53:58 PM
Quote from: jack on January 17, 2013, 03:03:14 PMshe's our best option when she goes 0-3 in 28 minutes of play

You can't use a small sample size like that when it comes to shooting. My argument here is that she is our best 3 point shooter at 39%. That's not too shabby if you ask me.

Weak arguement. By your own admission, she is out there to score. She has put up 3 shots...3.....in 28 minutes. That's a problem. I bet I'd be a 50% shooter out on the floor by myself. If she can work to find her own shots, thats a problem. 0 - 3 in 28 minutes?? You don't see a problem with that? When your primary role on your team is to score, as you lack in other areas, if you've put up 3 shots in 2 games?? Come on man. Come up with something better here!!

SadersofthelostArc

I can't believe Coach Dorow isn't getting more out of this UBER-talented team!!!!

(Do I fit in with the groupthinking talking heads 'round here now??)

valpo4life

Quote from: jack on January 18, 2013, 05:27:55 PM
Quote from: jack on January 17, 2013, 03:03:14 PMshe's our best option when she goes 0-3 in 28 minutes of play

You can't use a small sample size like that when it comes to shooting. My argument here is that she is our best 3 point shooter at 39%. That's not too shabby if you ask me.

Weak arguement. By your own admission, she is out there to score. She has put up 3 shots...3.....in 28 minutes. That's a problem. I bet I'd be a 50% shooter out on the floor by myself. If she can work to find her own shots, thats a problem. 0 - 3 in 28 minutes?? You don't see a problem with that? When your primary role on your team is to score, as you lack in other areas, if you've put up 3 shots in 2 games?? Come on man. Come up with something better here!!

She is out there because she can shoot the 3. She is by no means a scorer whatsoever, every time she dribbles towards the basket I get nervous.  And I would much much rather have someone shoot just 3 shots if they are good looks and not settle for bad ones. Ray McCallum and Kobe must be your favorite players if you are into field goal attempts so much. She is essentially the Will Bogan of the women's team, out there because you can shoot and if you struggle then your minutes go down

KL31NY

Scott back in the starting lineup today, replacing Weidemann in the starting five for UIC. Here's some sleek live stats to enjoy the action: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=14288. Audio through WVUR, video through HLN, links should be on valpoathletics.com

Having timed all three links, video appears to be the fastest, stats mere seconds behind, WVUR about 15 seconds behind video, ~10 behind stats
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valporun

Thru the first half, I have no real bad things to say about how we're playing. Of course, some of that reason is due to UIC not being all that good either, but have to give credit to the ladies for how they are hanging in. Neither team really has a height advantage, but it's a rather up and down game. The pace is good, and this is a good game to see a variance of lineup combos involving some players that don't get a lot of action, like Dean, Miller, and Callaway. Richards has been playing well in this game, again because UIC isn't that strong, and she's made some good decisions. The ball movement has been very agressive, just want to see use attack the rim a little more physically, in hopes of getting some more layups to fall today. Here's hoping that this energy keeps up in the second half, and we get a momentum push to put this game away early.

The second half has been full of turnovers for the ladies, and UIC got a lot more physical this half. Let's hope the last portion of this game is a turnaround swing for the Brown and Gold, otherwise chalk this one up to the turnovers doing us in. Not going to be a pretty turnover result, that's for sure.

Turnovers were the deciding factor for the ladies. Too many today, but it was a good, strong game. Road woes will hurt us the rest of this season. Can't complain about today's game. We weren't outcoached, just made fundamental mistakes with the ball.

KL31NY

We average 20 turnovers a game (rounded up). That's really sloppy, and the fact that we were able to actually win a couple games this season when giving it away 20+ times is crazy.

We were down 1 with 6 minutes to go, and then UIC scored 10 in a row while we turned the ball over or missed all of our free throws in EVERY possessions during that run by the Flames. You can't have that many empty trips in a close game.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

Quote from: valpo4life on January 19, 2013, 11:27:53 AM
Quote from: jack on January 18, 2013, 05:27:55 PM

She is out there because she can shoot the 3. She is by no means a scorer whatsoever, every time she dribbles towards the basket I get nervous.  And I would much much rather have someone shoot just 3 shots if they are good looks and not settle for bad ones. Ray McCallum and Kobe must be your favorite players if you are into field goal attempts so much. She is essentially the Will Bogan of the women's team, out there because you can shoot and if you struggle then your minutes go down
This had to sound better in your head then it does after you type it. 3 shots in 2 games for 28 minutes. And she missed all 3. And she's in for one reason. To score. But yet, you felt she was starter material. Again, I'm waisting my time discussing it with you. Time to move on.

jack

Quote from: valporun on January 19, 2013, 03:48:28 PM
Thru the first half, I have no real bad things to say about how we're playing. Of course, some of that reason is due to UIC not being all that good either, but have to give credit to the ladies for how they are hanging in. Neither team really has a height advantage, but it's a rather up and down game. The pace is good, and this is a good game to see a variance of lineup combos involving some players that don't get a lot of action, like Dean, Miller, and Callaway. Richards has been playing well in this game, again because UIC isn't that strong, and she's made some good decisions. The ball movement has been very agressive, just want to see use attack the rim a little more physically, in hopes of getting some more layups to fall today. Here's hoping that this energy keeps up in the second half, and we get a momentum push to put this game away early.

The second half has been full of turnovers for the ladies, and UIC got a lot more physical this half. Let's hope the last portion of this game is a turnaround swing for the Brown and Gold, otherwise chalk this one up to the turnovers doing us in. Not going to be a pretty turnover result, that's for sure.

Turnovers were the deciding factor for the ladies. Too many today, but it was a good, strong game. Road woes will hurt us the rest of this season. Can't complain about today's game. We weren't outcoached, just made fundamental mistakes with the ball.
Turnovers were a problem in this game. Very un-characteristic of Richards on back to back turnovers. I have noticed a pattern of dribbling it down into the corner and getting in to trouble far too frequently, for her and Richardson. We have to do a better job of staying out of the corners when we bring the ball up. It's always the right corner also. UIC saw this, and were pouncing, quite affectively.
I thought the ladies did a much better job, all around, in this contest then they have been doing. At the end of the day, we lost this one because we failed to block out. We struggle at this when both Gina and Tab aren't in the game at the same time. We need to worked past this. At one point, UIC had 4 tries at the basket. There were 3 times when we played good, solid D, all the way to the end of the clock, only to give up possition underneath and let them rebound. We had to play D for 100 seconds on one occassion. That beats a team down to go hard on D for that kind of stretch. It's nice to see some shots dropping in this one.

SadersofthelostArc

The girls are SO close to being a good squad.  They have looked better this year than they have in a while.  I loved Keith, you all know that....but it was time for him to move on and Coach Dorow is a fresh, young hot coach who can change the culture.  I like where we are headed.