• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/19/13 Wright State at Valpo game thread

Started by bbtds, January 14, 2013, 03:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

from the Wright State memes, in honor of Homer's plaintive "come on, you're a better referee than THAT!"

come on, make yer own: http://www.easymemes.com/review/63787_n3emjPpZFOeKuIF
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusaderjoe

Quote from: vu72 on January 20, 2013, 08:42:21 PM
Quote from: wh on January 20, 2013, 07:00:14 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on January 20, 2013, 04:15:28 PM
Sorry wh--I have to disagree with you about the ARC.  The WSU fan is right IMO; our venue is a high school facility at best and probably would not even be the best high school facility in NWI as far as sight lines and seating configurations go. East Chicago Central H.S. is probably better.  We need a new or updated venue badly and as a collegiate program VU should not be competing with area high schools for game venue atmosphere, particularly in Indiana.  I hope we do something soon.  Where's the roll out of that five year plan??

You're reading too much into my comments.  I want a revamped ARC as much as anyone, following some variation of the Loyola model.  That would enhance an already good experience, as opposed to destroying it like a big barn would.

Totally agree with wh.  What we have is one of the most exciting venues around--not because it has comfy seats and the best bratwurst anywhere, but because the fans are right on top of the floor, it is intimate and LOUD.  ESPN has said it is one of the most exciting.

Having said that, do we need improvements?  Absolutely and no one in the administration would say otherwise.  It is a matter of funding and I presume the five year plan you reference will have this in its content.  As I stated in previous posts, what I understand from what President Heckler has said on other ocasions is that once the new fieldhouse is done the ARC will be "gutted" and then the new "arena" will be built. This I presume will be a reconfiguring and small expansion to the existing space to create a bowl like setting, better concessions and restrooms, a club of some sort etc. As wh also said, along the lines of what Loyola has now. If we go much past 6000 seats it will be a mistake given the demographics of the surrounding city and size of the student body.

Listen, I don't want to turn this into a facilities thread or threadjack this to the point of a pure facilities discussion, but if you took a poll here, I sincerely doubt anyone would want to see a new cavernous VU facility which looks like a barn and destroys the experience.  However, there seems to be a perception on this board that somehow facility improvement equates with the destruction of intimacy, or that a seating total in the upper 6K range or higher will destroy intimacy or atmosphere.  IMO, that's because VU's venue is so small and non-collegiate that any increase in seating is seen as potentially disproportionate to Valpo's current "electric when full but small time" atmosphere.  Because it's the only venue atmosphere that VU has ever really known for home basketball games historically, any increase is seen as threatening to it. 

For me personally, the magic number is higher than 6500 so that VU has the ability to generate more income by virtue of non-basketball event rental, albeit on a smaller scale, as is done at the Nutter Center.  We need corporate boxes. The one concession stand is a liability if you think outside the box and look at the venue as a place to hold an event rather than a pure basketball arena. IMO, the sightlines are garbage.  If a fan wants to see the game from behind a basket, he has to stand because he can't purchase a seat in that location.  That's ridiculous.  When I came up for Butler a couple of years ago, I flew 1200 miles one way to stand on a running track for three hours because I wanted to see break out action, along with many other VU and Butler fans.  No fan should ever have to do that.  All of this can be done without turning the place into a barn.  Look at it this way--I'm not looking for plush seats and cupholders.  I'm simply looking for a seat behind the basket.

truth219

I hate that fans come in to the gym on the floor level. So people who have front row seats have to have hundreds of people walk in front of them. That's silly. I love going to away games where they serve beer. I know its college basketball but still drinking beers at the few games I can are very enjoyable

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 22, 2013, 09:00:17 AM
from the Wright State memes, in honor of Homer's plaintive "come on, you're a better referee than THAT!"

come on, make yer own: http://www.easymemes.com/review/63787_n3emjPpZFOeKuIF

Has KLNY31 seen this??  "Come on, man!" is his catch phrase.

HC

Joe, there are three concession areas not one

KL31NY

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on January 22, 2013, 05:48:10 PM
Has KLNY31 seen this??  "Come on, man!" is his catch phrase.
You know neither my catchphrase nor know to spell my screen name. Correct or incorrect, you remain consistent.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

SadersofthelostArc

C'mon man, we all know your catchphrase.  You've cut back on the incessant use of "c'mon man," but you won't ever live it down my friend! lol

vuweathernerd

Quote from: HC on January 26, 2013, 08:13:03 PM
WSU loses again  :-X

we're now two games up in the loss column over second place.