• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/19/13 Wright State at Valpo game thread

Started by bbtds, January 14, 2013, 03:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: valpofan11 on January 19, 2013, 12:54:01 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 19, 2013, 10:04:12 AM
Think about it--if Anderson wasn't such a hotdog and just layed the ball in, or, heaven forbid, just simply stuffed it in, then--Detroit has one more point (he made one of two on the foul shots) and, we go to OT and then, who knows...
I don't care if Anderson is a hotdog, he's the most athletic and exciting player in college basketball and you all can't just hate on him because you think he showboats or he's a thug. I don't think he is, he just does what he needs to do and that is throw it down in your face and get the arena pumped up. His dunks are sick, Bobby deserved to get ejected, stupid foul in my opinion. Let him go instead of endangering the safety of an opposing player. It was a cheapshot, and all the websites are correct by saying it was a cheapshot.

First, nobody is hating Anderson or suggesting he's a thug. We admire his athletic ability. All we are saying is that Anderson made a misjudgment because he thought he was clear for the windmill dunk, but Bobby caught him because of Anderson's slowing to make the showboat play. Also, the double-clutch to make the windmill dunk helped cause the greater collision between the players.

Also, I'm not sure of your definition of a "stupid foul"; however, as it turns out, it was the smartest foul of the season. Anderson did not get the two points for the dunk. The crowd and his teammates were deprived the excitement and energy the dunk would have created. Anderson only made one of the two free throws, while Ryan made both technical foul shots that came from the play, and then the Titans threw away the in-bounds pass, which resulted in another basket for Valpo. Outcome of the foul: 1 point for Detroit, 4 points for Valpo, plus no surge of energy for the Titans and their fans; instead, a shift in momentum toward Valpo, which continued to grow and helped the Crusaders win the game. Finally, Kevin was forced to play more minutes at the end of the game, which he converted into a career high in scoring.

Results indicate this was the best foul in a long time!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: truth219 on January 19, 2013, 01:14:11 PM
I'm not concerned if bobby plays or not. I wouldn't mind seeing vashil in there. He handled a nice bounce pass in milwaukee that ended with a dunk. Kevin will be solid and we will get some 3s. We haven't had the arc rockin this year yet and I hope that happens tonight. If the boys can get the crowd into the game that will help their confidence.

I'd say there was a pretty good crowd for the NIU game, up to you whether you'd call it "rocking". Should be plenty of people tonight though. Saturday night, first place on the line against an upstart undefeated team. Now if only the NHL didn't start on the same night....
#CrusadersForever

StlVUFan

1.  I have zero problem with the flagrant 2 call and the ejection.  I think the point with Anderson is that he created the conditions for the call with his intention to do the windmill dunk, and that perhaps Bobby didn't have enough time to react.  A case can be made that he was anticipating where the ball would be shot from and reached for that point, and he couldn't just pull back at the last microsecond.  I have a problem with Mike DeCourcy highlighting this play as exhibit A for his current thesis about banning hard fouls, but I don't blame the ref one bit for calling it a flagrant 2.

2.  Lost in this whole discussion is that if Bobby had been more aggressive in moving *toward* the pass, the steal wouldn't have happened in the first place.  The pass may not have been great, but he could have helped save it.  From what I saw, I think he is partly to blame for the turnover that created the breakaway in the first place.

3.  Separate impression, based on nothing concrete that I can point to: That foul was a committed by someone with a Big-Time mentality, someone who is used to playing at a high level and who is not shy on the court but also is not overly emotional about making a huge play.  I saw the "business as usual" mindset at work there.  I'm probably describing it badly, and I might even be wrong, but there was something there that kind of impressed me for some reason.

4.  That guyism link I don't take seriously.  Just the name of the website says it all to me.  If it was Rush The Court or ESPN or CBS College Sports, that would be different.  In fact, the "guy" ended his post on a light-hearted note anyway.  I don't think it's anything to get worried about.

truth219

wh

Bobby needs a standing O when he enters the game...

HC

Amen to that truth

Standing o Wednesday night when checks in

valpopal

Quote from: HC on January 19, 2013, 01:59:13 PM
Amen to that truth

Standing o Wednesday night when checks in

I was thinking the same thing, and prolonged applause for KVW during intro of the starting lineup!

:clap:  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RS

Who said Bobby C. won't be Saturdays game?

valporun

RS, it's a question is up in the air, due to his ejection, usually that means the offender is out of the next game, but since Flagrant 2 is such a new rule, no one is really sure if Bobby is in or out of tonight's game. I'm just going to save my breath on it until tonight's game. If he's in uniform, then we've received our answer to this question.

Valpo89

Quote from: valpofan11 on January 19, 2013, 12:54:01 PM
I don't care if Anderson is a hotdog, he's the most athletic and exciting player in college basketball
If you think he's the most athletic and exciting player in college basketball, you probably don't watch enough college basketball.
There is a reason he plays for Detroit and not, oh, Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Indiana ... name your big-time school.
He can't shoot free throws and he rarely hits outside jumpers. If he was the most athletic player in college basketball, he would be able to do those things more consistently.

valporun

For the most part, Anderson is a very one-dimensional scoring threat. If he can get to the rim for a dunk, Anderson is great, but away from the rim, he's almost as good as Buggs. Also, is my memory real sketchy, or did he we go the entire Detroit game without an illegal screen called against us? We've had so many of them called this season, and for whatever reason, it seemed that none were called against us Thursday night.

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on January 19, 2013, 01:58:11 PM
Bobby needs a standing O when he enters the game...

Couldn't agree more ... Bobby and that play set the tone for the comeback and the fans should show their approval.  I won't happen, but it would be really classy if Bryce would give him the start to recognize his effort and to encourage more spirited plays like that one.

As I've mentioned several times, Capobianco is a huge upgrade over Edwards and the team is benefiting from it.

valpopal

Coach Drew doing some recruiting . . . of fans for the Wright State game: 300 of these shirts also to be given to students at the game.

Bryce Drew's Message to Students

HC

It was Kevin's best screen setting game of his career!

Not sure what athleticism has to do with hitting jumpers, regardless...he is without doubt the best dunker in the game.

valpotx

Capo was completely in the right for playing until the whistle.  You never 'just let someone go' if you have a chance to possibly make a play
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

vuweathernerd

final: 69-63 good guys!! manage to pull it out with hot shooting from rowdy in the last few minutes. kid's got ice in his veins. mad props to matt kenney as well - hit a pair of clutch 3s to stop the bleeding and allow valpo to crawl back in, once in each half.

edit: just checked the stats - we had 16 assists to only 7 turnovers. that's how you win a game right there.

DMvalpo18

Matt Kenney really did step up, but the clutch performance has to go to Broekhoff! He put the team on his back at the end. I'm sure koala feels immensely proud to watch her son play like that!

oklahomamick

Rowdy shows why he is POY

Why didn't Cappo play very many minutes???
CRUSADERS!!!

vuweathernerd

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 19, 2013, 09:10:37 PM

don't know for sure, but when he was in, his defense was not that great. there were a couple stretches where we went small as well, as rowdy was the tallest guy on the floor.

rink

Was following on my phone, looked like we trailed throughout until an 11-4 run to end it?

oklahomamick

Quote from: vuweathernerd on January 19, 2013, 09:12:35 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 19, 2013, 09:10:37 PM

don't know for sure, but when he was in, his defense was not that great. there were a couple stretches where we went small as well, as rowdy was the tallest guy on the floor.

Bryce must have seen that this game was not to Cappo's style or advantage....I thought it would be as the game was basically half court.  Only 2 fast break points. 
Doesn't matter, we are in 1st place.  Back to back come from behind games.  I thought we would be 4-1 in conference play but did not think it would be a home lost to Loyola. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Smj

What can you say - that was awesome....    I thought WSU was just having an easy start - nope they look tough.  Our team just wanted to win it more - way to go Valpo!!!

7 for 7 at the end - wow!
Take lead with about a minute (little earlier than last game)
Clutch all over the place - definitely looking like a veteran team...

valpo4life

PS the ARC was EXTREMELY loud during the last 2 or 3 minutes of the game. It was a definite advantage because up 1 at the end WSU had no clue how much time was on the clock and had to take a poor shot that led to Rowdy hitting one of the most clutch shots he has had in a while.