• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo on ESPN (advertising)

Started by agibson, January 17, 2013, 10:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

OK - I'll admit, I was hoping for a little mention of the game (not very likely on Lance day).

But, to my surprise, there was a Valpo advertisement during Sports Center!  I think I've only seen these during Valpo basketball games... and maybe only on HLN at that.

Anyone else catch one of these on TV?

valpotx

Are you talking about during the game, or during the true SC?  I didn't see a Valpo ad
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

During sports center.  During the 10:00 PM central hour.  Perhaps just the Chicago market?  Or even more local?  Not sure how finely they slice and dice the advertising.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on January 18, 2013, 04:35:45 PM
During sports center.  During the 10:00 PM central hour.  Perhaps just the Chicago market?  Or even more local?  Not sure how finely they slice and dice the advertising.
You're going to have to fill the rest of us in on what it was, because I looked two and I saw nothing Valpo related.  You may be right that it was a targeted spot and St. Louis wasn't in the target area.

By the way, I'll never forgive you for making me watch an entire hour of sportscenter for nothing ;)

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 19, 2013, 01:45:34 PM
You're going to have to fill the rest of us in on what it was, because I looked two and I saw nothing Valpo related.  You may be right that it was a targeted spot and St. Louis wasn't in the target area.

By the way, I'll never forgive you for making me watch an entire hour of sportscenter for nothing ;)

Funny!  I was watching, or at least had it on, hoping for something about the Valpo-Detroit game (hopeless really, it'd have to be a longish piece with the story of the come back, etc.; probably not enough interest to warrant that; not like it was just one play).  I basically _never_ watch Sportscenter.

It was a spot we've probably all season before, one of the IMC era advertisements that air on HLN during valpo games.  Maybe the "men and women of promise" one.  Certainly had some Heckler narration.  Maybe some lime green lines floating around campus.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on January 19, 2013, 05:05:23 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 19, 2013, 01:45:34 PM

Funny!  I was watching, or at least had it on, hoping for something about the Valpo-Detroit game (hopeless really, it'd have to be a longish piece with the story of the come back, etc.; probably not enough interest to warrant that; not like it was just one play).  I basically _never_ watch Sportscenter.

It was a spot we've probably all season before, one of the IMC era advertisements that air on HLN during valpo games.  Maybe the "men and women of promise" one.  Certainly had some Heckler narration.  Maybe some lime green lines floating around campus.
Oh, that one.  Never mind ;)  Seen that one a million times, it's already old to me.  I thought maybe it was something new.

That's okay ;) I certainly didn't have the sound up, and I did something else while looking up at the screen every few minutes.

talksalot

I did just see the Titans spot on HLN... those highlights with all of those empty seats really tells a story!

62-58 1:40 to play, "Sister Sledge"  wsu going to the line  (come on, I can't believe nobody else has said it)

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2013, 10:26:45 PMOh, that one.  Never mind ;)  Seen that one a million times, it's already old to me.  I thought maybe it was something new

Yeah, the spot was very familiar.  The context is what was new to me.  I was surprised to see it air during Sportscenter.

That happens regularly?  Even in the STL market?  (Another target Valpo market, of course.)

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on January 23, 2013, 01:14:55 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2013, 10:26:45 PMOh, that one.  Never mind ;)  Seen that one a million times, it's already old to me.  I thought maybe it was something new

Yeah, the spot was very familiar.  The context is what was new to me.  I was surprised to see it air during Sportscenter.

That happens regularly?  Even in the STL market?  (Another target Valpo market, of course.)
No, I mean I've seen it millions of times on HLN Valpo home games.

talksalot

Speaking of Advertising... how about the new scorer's table???!!!  Those in the Chairbacks and student section have to be impressed with the new LED table.  Thanks to the South Shore Visitor's Bureau for their $$ assistance in making that possible.  We had rented it last year for the tournament... looks pretty good on the replays... and it doesn't HUMMMMMMMM whenever the sign changes.   Thanks to Spero and the folks at South Shore!

valpotx

Definitely an improvement, and something we have commented on multiple times during the games  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

I'm more impressed with the 12 pack Pepsi holding up the possession arrow #suckitcoke

talksalot

Hey don't sell it short... it is actually TWO pepsi 12-packs holding up the possession arrow! Perhaps there's a sponsorship we're missing here... Any Mountain Dew distributors out there???

HC

I think it's impressive I could see it was a Pepsi container from as far up as I sit!