• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2015

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

That's what I thought.

Not that they are mutually exclusive, necessarily.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpospartan

As I
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 29, 2013, 08:08:59 PM
Well, looks like Palombizio will be staying in Porter County after all:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/20422220-556/palombizio-staying-at-chesterton-after-all.html

his dad must be a piece of work.
As I recall, His Dad's Dad was also a piece of work.

swiftmutiny

Valpo has apparently expressed interest in Obediah Church of the Peoria Irish (same AAU squad that Alec Peters was on).

Quote2015 F 6'7 Obediah Church has heard from Bradley, UIC, Evansville, UWGB, & Valpo so far!
Peoria Irish Tweet

LaPorteAveApostle

That's pretty cool, but I bet he signs with Calvin or Grace :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vufan75

Per Scott Burgess of chicagohoops.com this morning, Valpo along with other schools have expressed interest in Palatine 2015 shooting guard Roosevelt Smart. Smart recently took unofficial visits to Creighton and Xavier as well. Several high major programs also made contact with Smart on the first day of direct contact with 2015 recruits.   

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/1496-roosevelt-smart-talks-weekend-visits

Roosevelt Smart Talks Weekend Visits

Published on Monday, 17 June 2013
Written by Scott Burgess

Palatine 2015 shooting guard Roosevelt Smart is one of the more talented prospects in his class in Illinois.  He is an explosive track athlete that is starting to refine his game.  Smart is good attacking the hoop and is improving his jumper.  He efficiently changes the games on both ends of the floor.  The rising junior ranks as a top 10 prospect in the state in 2015.

Over the last week he took a pair of unofficial visits to Creighton and Xavier.  He first broke down the Creighton visit.

"Creighton was great!  I loved the campus.  Everything is right there so you don't have to go very far and I got a chance to meet with the team and all of them are cool especially Doug (McDermott)."

What did he like about their coaching staff?

"How they welcome you with open arms.  You can talk to each and every coach about anything whether it is about basketball, school, or life in general."

Smart also discussed what he did on his visit to Xavier on Saturday.

"The coaches were talking about how the games were always sold out no matter who Xavier was playing.  Also we talked about how Xavier is like the main school for sports and there are no professional teams.  We also talked about how it's a small school and a great learning environment for students because it's about 30 students in one class room instead of 200+ in some schools."

He told us what he liked about their program and staff.

"I like the history of their program from them making it to the NCAA tournament to how they produce a good amount of pro players.  With the coaches they are honest to you.  They'll tell you if you're doing a good or bad job and if you're doing a bad job they'll help you fix it to make you a better player."

Some of the other schools Smart heard from on the first day of direct contact with 2015 recruits included Kansas, Indiana, Valpo, West Virginia, Minnesota, Georgetown, Wisconsin, and Purdue.

valporun

Quote from: vufan75 on June 17, 2013, 11:24:57 AMSome of the other schools Smart heard from on the first day of direct contact with 2015 recruits included Kansas, Indiana, Valpo, West Virginia, Minnesota, Georgetown, Wisconsin, and Purdue.

This is quite a mix of schools, including Creighton and Xavier. It will be interesting to track his progress, and what schools get taken off this list over the next year and a half.

ARCInsider

Quote from: valporun on June 19, 2013, 10:34:07 AM
Quote from: vufan75 on June 17, 2013, 11:24:57 AMSome of the other schools Smart heard from on the first day of direct contact with 2015 recruits included Kansas, Indiana, Valpo, West Virginia, Minnesota, Georgetown, Wisconsin, and Purdue.

This is quite a mix of schools, including Creighton and Xavier. It will be interesting to track his progress, and what schools get taken off this list over the next year and a half.

The quote makes it sound as if there were other schools he heard from...glad Valpo was mentioned in the IU-KU-GTOWN etc group and not the "others not mentioned" group.  I'll take that as a compliment for our program, whether it be from Smart's comments or the comment of the author.

classof2014

A 6' 5" 200 lbs SF from the Bowman Academy in Gary, Davon Dillard has received an offer from Valpo yesterday. He also has offers from Northern Illinois and Purdue.

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on June 30, 2013, 08:31:43 AM
A 6' 5" 200 lbs SF from the Bowman Academy in Gary, Davon Dillard has received an offer from Valpo yesterday. He also has offers from Northern Illinois and Purdue.

Nice article on Davon at the beginning of last season:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/bowman-s-dillard-ready-to-take-next-step-to-state/article_8ed5f913-0e0f-5b4e-b428-c1ceff3e8204.html

vufan75

Per a twitter post by Alex Kline of RecruitScoop, Valpo will have 2015 PF Myles Carter in for an unofficial visit. He plays his AAU ball for Chicago Meanstreets. I would guess this latest Illinois recruiting target is being worked on by Coach Powell based on his Illinois recruiting connections. Will look for info on this recruit and post what I can find.

http://247sports.com/Player/Myles-Carter-31588

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/1019-6-8-myles-carter-talks-game-recruiting

LaPorteAveApostle

Meh:  Chris Palombizio to Western Michigan
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/21439254-556/boys-basketball-chris-palombizio-commits-to-wmu.html

Money quote:  "I always wanted to play in the MAC."

I know you guys think I make up a lot of stuff to be funny, but I sure am not making THAT up.

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vufan75

Ryan Fazekas from Michigan City and the class of 2015 tweeted he received his first Big 10 offer from Northwestern. I remember Valpo was the first D1 scholarship offer for this young man going back I think at least a year ago. Not sure exactly when Valpo's offer was made. Hope Valpo's offer being first carries some weight with Ryan when he is making his college decision. Hopefully he will want to play his college ball near his hometown. Anyone know, is his recruiting blowing up beyond our reach?

valpopal

Carlos Anderson, 6'4" 215 lb. shooting guard from Alton IL, has a visit to Valpo scheduled for Sept. 28.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on August 17, 2013, 05:42:48 PM
Carlos Anderson, 6'4" 215 lb. shooting guard from Alton IL, has a visit to Valpo scheduled for Sept. 28.

Shoot, I'll be there before Carlos is.

I'm coming up to knock down the fence between Brown Field and the "old tennis courts" parking lot. If I tie a chain to my Ford F150 and pull how many times will it take before the whole fence comes down?

Who wants to help me dig out ground for the track. I figure once we start they can't help but finish.   ;)

valpopal

Don't hold your breath on Aaron Jordan (2015), who has an offer from Valpo. He has now received an offer from Indiana to go with his offers from Illinois, Wisconsin, Butler, Xavier, and others.

bbtds

Hey, Carlos Anderson will be in Valpo on Homecoming. I almost forgot about that.  ;)

classof2014

Quote from: valpopal on September 19, 2013, 05:23:10 PM
Don't hold your breath on Aaron Jordan (2015), who has an offer from Valpo. He has now received an offer from Indiana to go with his offers from Illinois, Wisconsin, Butler, Xavier, and others.

Let us not forget about Chicago State as well.  :lol:

Kyle321n

Quote from: bbtds on September 19, 2013, 06:52:19 PM
Quote from: valpopal on August 17, 2013, 05:42:48 PMCarlos Anderson, 6'4" 215 lb. shooting guard from Alton IL, has a visit to Valpo scheduled for Sept. 28.
Hey, Carlos Anderson will be in Valpo on Homecoming. I almost forgot about that.  ;)

As well as the weekend of Beerfest. Wait we're not an SEC football school.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vufan75

Quote from: bbtds on September 19, 2013, 06:52:19 PM

I was wondering if the visit by Valpo recruit Carlos Anderson happened over Homecoming weekend, and if anyone (perhaps Valpopal?) had any feedback or news as to how the visit went?

vufan75

According to Roy and Harv Schmidt of Illinois Prep Bulls-eye in an article from today, Valpo is hosting an unofficial visit from a class of 2015 recruit this weekend. Julian Torres, a 6-8 PF out of Bolingbrook High School is the recruit visiting.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Oct_18_Visitors.html

covufan

Quote from: vufan75 on October 18, 2013, 03:51:37 PM
According to Roy and Harv Schmidt of Illinois Prep Bulls-eye in an article from today, Valpo is hosting an unofficial visit from a class of 2015 recruit this weekend. Julian Torres, a 6-8 PF out of Bolingbrook High School is the recruit visiting.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Oct_18_Visitors.html
At 6-8 he must still be developing.  He doesn't have Valpo listed on verbal commits:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/julian-torres

but if he develops some skills over the next 12 months, this could be a diamond in the rough.