• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coach Bryce Singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at Cubs Game Friday

Started by ml2, May 29, 2013, 05:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ml2

The Chicago Cubs have posted that Bryce will be singing during the 7th inning stretch this Friday (5/31).

http://vineline.mlblogs.com/2013/05/29/first-pitchseventh-inning-stretch-lineup-529-62/

The game starts at 1:20pm and is against the Arizona Diamondbacks. The game will also be on the radio on WGN 720AM and on TV on Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

bbtds

Quote from: ml2 on May 29, 2013, 05:21:11 PM
The Chicago Cubs have posted that Bryce will be singing during the 7th inning stretch this Friday (5/31).

http://vineline.mlblogs.com/2013/05/29/first-pitchseventh-inning-stretch-lineup-529-62/

The game starts at 1:20pm and is against the Arizona Diamondbacks. The game will also be on the radio on WGN 720AM and on TV on Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

Oh, No! Let's hope he doesn't emulate their World Series record in the last 68 years--zero for zero.

Nobody's perfect.

ARCInsider

covufan

Good for Bryce and VU!  We'll need the YouTube post of the event soon after!

vuweathernerd

valpopal

Unfortunately, the weather forecast is not promising, with a 70% chance of strong thunderstorms and flooding.

usc4valpo

Valpo is in the South Side of Chicago!  Where's the love for the White Sox?

classof2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 30, 2013, 10:05:23 PM
Valpo is in the South Side of Chicago!  Where's the love for the White Sox?

Actually Valpo is in Northwest Indiana! Where's the love for the Railcats?

valpopal

I heard players will be singing with Bryce: Dority and Capobianco.

valporun

I just missed being there to hear him sing in person, as I went to yesterday's game with a group from my hometown. The White Sox? Who wants to sing with their fans? The Railcats would be fun.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on May 31, 2013, 11:46:53 AM
I just missed being there to hear him sing in person, as I went to yesterday's game with a group from my hometown. The White Sox? Who wants to sing with their fans? The Railcats would be fun.
The White Sox don't stoop to that level.

covufan

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 31, 2013, 01:04:56 PMThe White Sox don't stoop to that level.
If my memory serves, Harry brought the tradition over from the South Side - although his slurring changed from Falstaff to Bud induced (must have made up with the Busch family).

historyman

Heads up!

The hot Cubs lead the D-backs 7-2 in the bottom of the 6th as of 3:00 p.m. CT. Might be a good time to turn the channel to CSN.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

Quote from: covufan on May 31, 2013, 02:48:40 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on May 31, 2013, 01:04:56 PMThe White Sox don't stoop to that level.
If my memory serves, Harry brought the tradition over from the South Side - although his slurring changed from Falstaff to Bud induced (must have made up with the Busch family).
I'm talking about getting every tom, dick, and harry local/national celebrity to conduct.  That's pure Cubbie.

covufan

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 31, 2013, 03:24:59 PMThat's pure Cubbie.
Well, isn't it supposed to be about the atmosphere, not the game on the field?   ;)

wh

Turned the radio on just in time to hear Bryce do the Stretch.  He did a nice job - took his time, engaged the crowd to sing along, and was only slightly off key.  ;) Better then most I've heard.  Overall, very cool.

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on May 31, 2013, 03:35:47 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on May 31, 2013, 03:24:59 PMThat's pure Cubbie.
Well, isn't supposed to be about the atmosphere, not the game on the field?   ;)

Unfortunately I'm at work in Indy and not on the way to Bloomington and will not be heading home soon.

As far as the Cubs I will say one thing, over the years, they have done an excellent job of not emphasizing the game on the field.

The Busch family have had a long and convoluted history with Harry Caray. In 1968 Harry Caray, who was as popular in St.Louis as he was in Chicago was hit by a car coming out of his apartment building on Kingshighway Blvd in St Louis. He spent a few days in the hospital and eventually recovered. The rumor at the time was that Gussy Busch (II) ordered the "accident" because Harry was messing around with Gussy's daughter-in-law and wife of August Busch (III).

Harry was fired after the 1969 season. After spending a volatile season with the Oakland A's and LaPorte, Indiana resident Chuck Finley Caray was hired by the White Sox in 1971. Since many of you know the history of Harry in Chicago I'll just say that Harry was the best beer seller in the history of sports broadcasting and the Busch family was forced to accept his beer selling ability in a city such as Chicago. Over the years Harry probably sold more Busch products than any other person and the Busch family had to realize this for business reasons from a guy they truly hated for his personal business with the family.   

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on May 31, 2013, 04:24:36 PMAs far as the Cubs I will say one thing, over the years, they have done an excellent job of not emphasizing the game on the field.
Can you blame them?  Every good illusionist relies on sleight-of-hand distraction ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Dave_2010

Great to have Bryce on TV like that. It's always a good thing to have the university in the public eye.

Not sure who was the worst singer though...Bryce, Bobby, and LaVonte were all pretty rough when they took their turns at the mic.

usc4valpo

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 31, 2013, 01:04:56 PM
Quote from: valporun on May 31, 2013, 11:46:53 AMI just missed being there to hear him sing in person, as I went to yesterday's game with a group from my hometown. The White Sox? Who wants to sing with their fans? The Railcats would be fun.
The White Sox don't stoop to that level.
Very good point, what am I thinking?

They should have gotten rid of this one year after Harry died.

Can't Valpo find better ways to get recognition than to have Bryce sing in yupville?

usc4valpo

Quote from: covufan on May 31, 2013, 02:48:40 PM
Actually from Falstaff to Stroh's to Budweiser.

The Cub need to remove this tradition; this was cute a year after Harry passed away, but not now. Heck, have JLo and Nicki Minaj sing the seventh inning stretch while we are at it!

valpopal

A little short on the stride and stiff in the front leg, but Bryce shows fairly good form as he throws the first pitch:

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann