• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Drake

Started by VULB#62, October 21, 2013, 10:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milanmiracle

Quote from: rink on October 26, 2013, 03:15:40 PM
We're up 10-7 in the 4th?  What in blazes...?

How on earth did Valpo manage to hold a team, ANY team to 7 points for three quarters? Thats a moral victory if you're into that sort of thing.

*Drake 14 Valpo 10
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

rink

Is there streaming video somewhere? I can only find audio links on the valpo athletics site. (One of which was a broken link.)

IndyValpo

Not to worry, we have choked late.....

rink

Am I reading game cast correctly, in the last five minutes we've had a 14 yard punt and two lost fumbles? Drake turns that into 16 points (we managed to block a PAT). What a way to piss away a game. Suddenly it's 23-10 with 2 minutes left. Ouch.

milanmiracle

Quote from: IndyValpo on October 26, 2013, 03:35:28 PM
Not to worry, we have choked late.....

Yup, either Drake realized they were playing Valpo or Valpo finally recognized they weren't playing Campbell. Either way it's now 23 - 10.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

milanmiracle

Drake 23 Valpo 10 - They managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. In truth, Drake doubled up VU in total yards, so I think the better team actually won.

4, yes 4 yards rushing for the Crusaders ground attack. Four?!? How is that even possible?

bbtds

Two huge turnovers at the end sends Drake to a 23-10 victory. Valpo just doesn't know how to finish close games.

valporun

If we could only have ended the game at that point, but we had to finish the game. 23-10 Drake with the W.

willy

Somehow we have played Drake tough the last two years.  Two fumbles and an interception by the QB and a 14 yard punt in the last six minutes of the game was the reason for the collapse.  The punt and fumbles gave Drake the ball three times at the twenty yard line and a short field which resulted in 16 points.  The kids battled but made mistakes when it mattered most.  The rushing attack needs to be addressed, four yards rushing is embarrassing.

valpotx

Our Punter seems to do quite a few 10-20 yard punts.  It looks like he had 2 or 3 this game...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Yeah, erratic.  Ah.. inconsistent.  Bad punts at crucial situations are another symptom of a team's overall lack of confidence.  Team chemistry and emotion are really a type of karma and it infuses all of the players.  The great teams fight off the negative karma -- they don't acknowledge it.  Our team cannot do that.  All 100 kids are waiting for the other shoe to drop. And so they allow the self-fulfilling prophesy.

A good head coach and staff can WILL that away, but it has to be part of their make-up as well.  That also may not be present in zip codes 46383-46385.

usc4valpo

Observations from watching the game at Drake Stadium today.

1.  Beautiful day in Iowa's state capital.  Not a big crowd.  Maybe 2000.  Drake fans were watching Iowa and ISU at the stadiums or their favorite watering holes.  About 100 Valpo fans were there - all were parents or relatives of the players.  No alums were at the game.  I was sadly surprised at the lack Valpo alums at the game - just parents.

2. Defense should be well commended. They played great overall and were on the field throughout the majority of the game.   Their tacking was fundamentaly excellent.  They kept Valpo competitive.  Drake was struggling to run the ball.  They had some great tackles for loss and some sacks.

3. Taibi's TD was awesome.  Nice pass, great running and effort after the catch.  The Valpo fans were excited and ready to experience a much needed win.  They were hopeful but cautious - who can blame them!

4.  Valpo's running game was pretty much non existent.  The RB could not hit the hole - it was like the anti Oregon.

5.  Hoffman was feeling pressure big time in the fourth quarter, he needed to gid rid of the ball earlier.  Too many bubble passes and screens.

6.  Budweiser Play of the game - Drake punt to the Valpo 1.  They were fortunate not to get a safety.  Then ... the 14 yard punt to the Valpo 19.  And then... depression set in.

7. The stay classy moment of the day - After Hoffman's second fumble, the defensive coordinator came over to chew out the offensive team at their bench.  There's a role model to follow.

8. The parents were quiet, bummed and frustrated at the end.  They were strongly critiquing the offense and the 3 and outs.  You know they love and support their kids after going through this.  This team needs to win and win bad.

chef

just a couple points...The punter today is not a punter. He's been forced into duty because the two punters on the roster are ill. This was an obvious factor throughout. Secondly, the defensive coordinator could not have chewed anybody out on the sidelines as watches each game upstairs in the coaches box. Otherwise, some very fair points made by all.

Pgmado

The word I got is that one of the defensive coaches went over to the offensive players and said "Keep your head up guys, we'll get the ball back for you. Be ready when we get the ball back." There was no trashing or yelling from one side of the ball to the other. I confirmed this with several players.

usc4valpo

If that is what happened, then my bad.  It looked different from where I was sitting and the coach was going off.  That being said, the defense did a great job yesterday.

bluehorseshoe

Some quick notes from Drake: Great effort from the team in the game; in the 2nd half no adjustments were made on our side...they send the house , 8 in the box and we do nothing to extend the field (except for the TD pass, we ran no middle screens, no quick slants, no skinny posts, no stop / go routes etc). D played well but had chances to key stop drives when still 10-7 and gave up some big pass plays with the middle again wide open and 1 or 2 blown coverages. Need to get the freshman RB's more touches, their D see's Hall and knows its prob gonna be a run. We have a bruising power back in a spread...with 8 in the box he gets stuffed before he can get going upfield, yet we continued to do that??  Going against the wind we had some WR's way too far out on splits for a even 50/50 chance to make a completion. With our record, 4th and short...you go!!!!Was told the Drake TV/radio announcers spoke highly of the efforts of the  Valpo team and remarked often of the bright future with our team on the field.  Would agree with most posted comments, and I have said since game 2 that the karma is bit negative; need to have the kids in a mindset where they are instilled with confidence, with the accountability for their mistakes and some 'tude, a chip on the shoulder, and "refuse to lose" mentality.     

usc4valpo

Quote from: bluehorseshoe on October 27, 2013, 11:15:44 AMSome quick notes from Drake: Great effort from the team in the game; in the 2nd half no adjustments were made on our side...they send the house , 8 in the box and we do nothing to extend the field (except for the TD pass, we ran no middle screens, no quick slants, no skinny posts, no stop / go routes etc). D played well but had chances to key stop drives when still 10-7 and gave up some big pass plays with the middle again wide open and 1 or 2 blown coverages. Need to get the freshman RB's more touches, their D see's Hall and knows its prob gonna be a run. We have a bruising power back in a spread...with 8 in the box he gets stuffed before he can get going upfield, yet we continued to do that?? Going against the wind we had some WR's way too far out on splits for a even 50/50 chance to make a completion. With our record, 4th and short...you go!!!!Was told the Drake TV/radio announcers spoke highly of the efforts of the Valpo team and remarked often of the bright future with our team on the field. Would agree with most posted comments, and I have said since game 2 that the karma is bit negative; need to have the kids in a mindset where they are instilled with confidence, with the accountability for their mistakes and some 'tude, a chip on the shoulder, and "refuse to lose" mentality.
Hall seemed to be a step or two behind, but I agree that there needs to be more of running game - the defense was on the field most of the game (37 to 23).

Announcers on the winning end, especially in a non cuttthroat conference like the Pioneer, will hestitate to say negative, critical comments about the opposition.   It's not like they are going to say that this team has won 3 games in 4 years and suck.

Defensively, this is the best they have played in Carlson's 4 years.  Regarding attitude and confidence, as this has prolonged over 4 years it is likely a coaching issue and certainly a lack of support from the Valpo adminstration.  I feel bad for the players and parents regarding this.

IndyValpo

Quote from: chef on October 26, 2013, 11:53:55 PMjust a couple points...The punter today is not a punter. He's been forced into duty because the two punters on the roster are ill. This was an obvious factor throughout

Only this football team could have not one but 2 punters ill for two staight games....I did see that one of them (Pando) was listed as playing.  I am assuming that is an error.

Also we listed a back up long snapper (Mandersheid) as starting at DE.  Is that in fact true?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on October 28, 2013, 02:46:44 PMAlso we listed a back up long snapper (Mandersheid) as starting at DE.  Is that in fact true?
yes so that if there's a fumble in the backfield he can get it to the free safety in a hurry
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

Excellent wit.

BTW, Valpo cranked up in the ever important Sagarin rating from 250 to 249!  Davidson, Stetson and Houston Baptist are behind us.

chef

Where is Mandersheid listed as a starting defensive end? He hasn't played there, although he is now handling long some long snapping duties.

IndyValpo

Published with the box score...

Participation Report (Final)
Valparaiso Football
Valparaiso vs Drake (Oct 26, 2013 at Des Moines, Iowa)
Valparaiso   
Pos  ##  Offense 
WR   81  TAIBI, Tony   
LT   75  BARKLEY, Stuart 
LG   62  EHRLICH, Tom   
C   61  KOENEMAN, Nate   
RG   65  FLAHERTY, Colm   
RT   79  COOK, Sean   
TE   44  MALLON, Matt   
QB   19  HOFFMAN, Eric   
RB   31  HALL, Brandon   
WR   14  CASSARA, Andrew 
WR   12  O'BRYANT, Steve 

Valparaiso   
Pos  ##  Defense 
DE   99  MANDERSCHEID, W 
DL   95  MOFFITT, Nick   
DL   70  DOEPKE, Brandon 
DE   52  BAKER JR, F   
LB   24  DERBAK, Patrick 
LB   46  GREEN, Alex   
LB   48  MUNDY, Ryan   
CB   28  COOK, Dale   
S   22  GRASK, Alex   
S   16  LARSON, Keith   
CB   2   PORTER JR, Alan 

This is the same place where we for weeks listed Brandon Hall as our starting safety even while he was starting at RB. Is it a big deal, no but if we can't even published correct starters.......

chef

That info comes from the Drake stat crew. Nobody from Valpo would have anything to do with the published box score, but I do understand your frustration. John Guilford 90, would have started at DE, not 99.