• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Should Dale Carlson be retained as Valpo Football coach in 2014?

Started by historyman, October 06, 2013, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Dale Carlson be retained as Valpo Football coach in 2014?

Yes, same course for 2014
0 (0%)
Yes, and infuse large amounts of money into the program
2 (8%)
No, we should hire a better program rebuilder-nothing else
6 (24%)
No, we should hire a better program rebuilder and infuse large amounts of money into the program
12 (48%)
No, we should hire a coach with lots of success-who cares about rebuilding experience
5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 25

historyman

Just to give everyone a chance to express some views on the whole situation.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

New coach required , and if you do not provide adequate funding, then get rid of football.

VULB#62

H-Man.  I'm unsure of the last "No"  What is really meant there?

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 06, 2013, 10:24:26 PMH-Man.  I'm unsure of the last "No"  What is really meant there?

Not every successful coach has had to rebuild a program. If we hired a coach based only on how successful they were with no regard to whether they had rebuilt a program.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

milanmiracle

I don't think there is any way Valpo can retain Carlson and have any credibility when it comes the football program. Actions speak louder than words. 3 wins over the same team in 4 years isn't building a program, it's digging a deeper hole. My hope is Carlson takes a good long hard look in the mirror and realizes he's not the right fit for this job and moves on voluntarily.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

covufan

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 07, 2013, 10:30:24 AMMy hope is Carlson takes a good long hard look in the mirror and realizes he's not the right fit for this job and moves on voluntarily.
If he takes a good long look in the mirror, won't eight or ten Joel Osteen quotes come to mind about digging in and finishing the job?

bbtds

Quote from: milanmiracle on October 07, 2013, 10:30:24 AM
I don't think there is any way Valpo can retain Carlson and have any credibility when it comes the football program. Actions speak louder than words. 3 wins over the same team in 4 years isn't building a program, it's digging a deeper hole. My hope is Carlson takes a good long hard look in the mirror and realizes he's not the right fit for this job and moves on voluntarily.

I think in so many of these cases it makes an appearance of being voluntary but the AD makes it clear that the path of least resistance is to voluntarily quit.

I believe the exception at Valpo was former baseball coach Paul Twenge.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on October 07, 2013, 11:23:05 AM
Quote from: milanmiracle on October 07, 2013, 10:30:24 AM

I think in so many of these cases it makes an appearance of being voluntary but the AD makes it clear that the path of least resistance is to voluntarily quit.

I believe the exception at Valpo was former baseball coach Paul Twenge.

You may be right but my discussions with Paul indicated a similar approach relative to the AD.

Now, back to Carlson.  I just checked the records and found that we actually had a worse four year record during Koch's last year (0-10) and Horne's first three (0-10, 1-9 and 1-8-1) Is that improvement?  Maybe.  The next three were 3-8, 5-5 and 7-3.  A record all of us would accept.  Even the great Em Bauer started 1-7 his first year but then went 2-5-1, 4-5 and 7-2-1 over the next three.

If Carlson wins three this year, together with two very competitive losses, I might be inclined to give him one more year.  Another 1 or 2 win year and we have to show him the door.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on October 07, 2013, 11:49:23 AMIf Carlson wins three this year, together with two very competitive losses, I might be inclined to give him one more year.
Prior to the season, I would have agreed.  We really needed to pull those two games out, as they were winnable.  I don't see this team winning two more games, let alone having two more games that are within 10 points. 

VULB#62

Our best chances were St. Joe's (currently 4-1) and William Jewel (currently 1-4).  Morehead is improving and has won two in a row (Davidson and Campbell) and score points in bunches.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 07, 2013, 02:33:17 PMMorehead is improving and has won two in a row (Davidson and Campbell) and score points in bunches.
So you're saying that the only way we can beat Morehead is if they step out of bounds on what would be a 60-80 yard scoring play, then turn the ball over; then repeat?   ;)

VULB#62

They scored 45 in each win.  They won at home and they won on the road.  Gave up 14 to Davidson and 36 to Campbell.  So in answer to your speculation, those might be plausible scenarios.

Valposter

Where exactly would "lots of money" come from.  Taking away from other successful athletic programs at Valpo like basketball, baseball, softball, golf.  No, I don't vote for that.  I would go the opposite direction and eliminate football and re-direct the funding devoted to football to build an on-campus stadium for baseball with lights, chairback seating, decent concourse. A facility similar to Niscwitz Stadium at Wright State.  Our baseball program deserves (and has EARNED) a nice on-campus home to be proud of.  Softball has it.  Basketball has it.  Baseball needs some LOVE too!!!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

VUOR63

Obviously we need some football alumni to win Power Ball. 

usc4valpo

Where are the friends of the program when you need them?  ;D

we need to build on our strengths - baseball needs some love.  more cash to basketball is always a good thing for a proven commodity.  If you want to be creative - build a hockey rink!  Crusader hockey is on the air!! I would love to see the Crusader mascot on skates!

VULB#62

Take it from a New Englander, where hockey is kind of big, hockey is an expensive endeavor. 

What's required:
Rink rental (if nearby) appropriate for a D-I program OR building a 1,500-2,000 seat arena from scratch, equipment, scholarships (18), travel, etc. are costs I don't think Valpo can afford.  And going non-scholarship means you's have a ice-based football program.

Also, if men's hockey is added, a women's sport (also hockey?) with an equal amount of scholarships needs to be added or other men's programs dropped.

historyman

Quote from: Valposter on October 08, 2013, 04:24:31 PMWhere exactly would "lots of money" come from.  Taking away from other successful athletic programs at Valpo like basketball, baseball, softball, golf.  No, I don't vote for that.  I would go the opposite direction and eliminate football and re-direct the funding devoted to football to build an on-campus stadium for baseball with lights, chairback seating, decent concourse. A facility similar to Niscwitz Stadium at Wright State.  Our baseball program deserves (and has EARNED) a nice on-campus home to be proud of.  Softball has it.  Basketball has it.  Baseball needs some LOVE too!!!!!
That is one opinion.

There is a place to vote for a coaching change and no infusion of money.

The goal for some is to have a successful football program. Some believe an infusion of money to upgrade the football program is what is needed whether you change the head coach or not in 2014. If the board of directors can find money for all the recent upgrades to other non-athletic facilities why do we take their word that Valpo can not get money for athletics? These are all decisions made by a group of people. Other decisions can be made. Maybe Valpo needs to change the board of directors.

usc4valpo

Quote from: historyman on October 08, 2013, 11:10:14 PM
Quote from: Valposter on October 08, 2013, 04:24:31 PMWhere exactly would "lots of money" come from. Taking away from other successful athletic programs at Valpo like basketball, baseball, softball, golf. No, I don't vote for that. I would go the opposite direction and eliminate football and re-direct the funding devoted to football to build an on-campus stadium for baseball with lights, chairback seating, decent concourse. A facility similar to Niscwitz Stadium at Wright State. Our baseball program deserves (and has EARNED) a nice on-campus home to be proud of. Softball has it. Basketball has it. Baseball needs some LOVE too!!!!!
That is one opinion. There is a place to vote for a coaching change and no infusion of money. The goal for some is to have a successful football program. Some believe an infusion of money to upgrade the football program is what is needed whether you change the head coach or not in 2014. If the board of directors can find money for all the recent upgrades to other non-athletic facilities why do we take their word that Valpo can not get money for athletics? These are all decisions made by a group of people. Other decisions can be made. Maybe Valpo needs to change the board of directors.
Let's try to put it this way - if the adminsiitration does not care about football, and/or the university does not have sufficient funding to sustain a football program of at least acceptable quality, then bag football.  This same logic can be applied to other products or services Valpo has in their portfolio.  Don't commit to something you cannot commit to.  Put your money or energies into strengths that you are passionate about.

VULB#62

I would argue that Valpo has increased it's funding for the FB program these past three plus seasons.  Where the lack of funding is more evident, and it is reflected in more than just FB, is in facilities upgrades.  This program can win between the sidelines regardless of whether the games are played in a spanking new stadium or present Brown Field.  The program infrastructure has been put in place and sufficient upgrades internally evidence program growth.  But it all seems to falter on the practice field and on game day. That points to the coaching staff.

usc4valpo

Quote from: VULB#62 on October 09, 2013, 06:42:56 AMI would argue that Valpo has increased it's funding for the FB program these past three plus seasons. Where the lack of funding is more evident, and it is reflected in more than just FB, is in facilities upgrades. This program can win between the sidelines regardless of whether the games are played in a spanking new stadium or present Brown Field. The program infrastructure has been put in place and sufficient upgrades internally evidence program growth. But it all seems to falter on the practice field and on game day. That points to the coaching staff.
62 - agree completely, and it is more just funding for football and facilities.  However, the issue is energy and interest by the university and administration.  If they would have cared, they would have taken actions awhile ago. If the uiniversity has no interest, then why should the students and alums and the community?  The university and administration is just alowing the football program to rot.

VULB#62

It would seem so,   :(   at least based on what we can see on the surface and what little we really know.

covufan

I've been looking at Points For, Points Against and the delta for each Valpo football team.  The three Carlson years are very close in comparison to the last year of Koch and first two years of Horne.  I fully expect the remaining games to take the 2013 team to the top 8 in Ave/game.  That would give Carlson four of the worst 8 teams in Valpo history.  Sometimes you can use the PF/PA to gauge how a team is doing compared to last year, and previous years.  Carlson has done better each year, but still worse than Adams' last season, for which Adams was fired. 

If the quality of player has been increasing the last four years, as some have attested to, why is the team continueing the losing ways? 

Valparaiso Yearly Totals                           

Year   Coach                            Win   Loss   Tie   Pct.   PF   PA   Delta   Ave/game
2010   Dale Carlson                0   11   0   0   100   514   -414   -37.63636364
1988   Bill Koch                             0   9   1   0.05   76   452   -376   -37.6
1929   J.M. "Jake" Christiansen   1   7   0   0.125   25   301   -276   -34.5
1989   Tom Horne                0   10   0   0   100   431   -331   -33.1
2011   Dale Carlson                1   10   0   0.09091   177   500   -323   -29.36363636
1990   Tom Horne                1   9   0   0.1   97   370   -273   -27.3
2012   Dale Carlson                1   10   0   0.09091   202   496   -294   -26.72727273
1981   Bill Koch                             1   9   0   0.1   48   265   -217   -21.7
2005   Stacy Adams                3   8   0   0.27273   187   424   -237   -21.54545455
1927   Earl Scott                1   5   0   0.16667   21   148   -127   -21.16666667

LaPorteAveApostle

I think you could make the case that to truly be the worst team, you have to be winless.

Then I would separate those by the percentage of total points scored (i.e. VU pts / Opp pts, expressed as percentage) to correct for eras with more or less scoring.

But that's just me.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

willy

With four games left against the top teams in the conference I don't see another win coming.  That would put Coach Carlsons record at 3-41.  If the university does not see that the current situation absolutely needs to be addressed they truly do not care, like many of you have inferred.  The university needs to send a message to the current players that they support the football program or I can see a major player defection.