• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Portland in Music City, 1:00 PM CDT, Sun 11/30/14

Started by wh, November 29, 2014, 11:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on November 30, 2014, 02:52:16 PM
Valpo 70-55.  Another solid game, and a great week!  I look forward to our home game against New Mexico, but let's get Eastern Kentucky at their place first!

Vashil with ANOTHER solid game regarding what we need from him (rebounding, 4 or less fouls, and defense), with several quality games against big foes.  So, suck it Vashil detractors, AGAIN :).

Vashil's role on this team is rebounding (check!), defense, especially blocks (check!), staying in the game - not fouling out or taken out of game because of fouls (check!).  He is having a great senior year!

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on December 01, 2014, 08:53:44 AM
After this weekend Valpo should be ranked in the top 25 among mid-majors and if they keep the trend up and win their next 2 games they will probably begin to receive votes for top 25 in the country.

This is Valpo's best start in 60 years at 7-1, they have an opportunity to really make a statement this week. Knock off the Colonels in Richmond and and domesticate the Lobos at home, Valpo can be looking at a special season. This weekend was one of Valpo's best stretches of basketball in recent memory. Hopefully the confidence gained will continue for the rest of the season and each game will build off each other.

Keep it up!

Closer to 6 years than 60 (7 to be exact).  They started out the '07-08 season 10-1 before losing 4 of their next 5. 

classof2014

Quote from: wh on December 01, 2014, 01:56:41 PM
After this weekend Valpo should be ranked in the top 25 among mid-majors and if they keep the trend up and win their next 2 games they will probably begin to receive votes for top 25 in the country.

This is Valpo's best start in 60 years at 7-1, they have an opportunity to really make a statement this week. Knock off the Colonels in Richmond and and domesticate the Lobos at home, Valpo can be looking at a special season. This weekend was one of Valpo's best stretches of basketball in recent memory. Hopefully the confidence gained will continue for the rest of the season and each game will build off each other.

Keep it up!

Closer to 6 years than 60 (7 to be exact).  They started out the '07-08 season 10-1 before losing 4 of their next 5. 

Got the info from Oren's article in the NWI Times, so I didn't bother doing my research.

"The win gives the Crusaders their first in-season tournament title since they won the Lou Henson Award tournament at Oakland in 2010. The victory also extends Valparaiso's winning streak to six games and equals the best start in program history (7-1) since 1944-45."

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on December 01, 2014, 02:05:03 PM
Quote from: wh on December 01, 2014, 01:56:41 PM

Keep it up!

Got the info from Oren's article in the NWI Times, so I didn't bother doing my research.

"The win gives the Crusaders their first in-season tournament title since they won the Lou Henson Award tournament at Oakland in 2010. The victory also extends Valparaiso's winning streak to six games and equals the best start in program history (7-1) since 1944-45."

You can't ever trust those darn sports reporters!  ;D

talksalot

and the 07-08 team's lone loss in that stretch was to an SEC Team (Vandy) in the South Padre Tourney 87-78.... wins over:  Grace College, IPFW, UMES, Austin Peay, WMU, Ball State, ... and #7 was the Horizon League Opener over Wright State... then a win at Callahan and our [RealTime]RPI was at 50 after that game... then Winds over Evansville by 8 and Chicago State by 29... and we were Mid-Major #10... THEN we went to Madison and lost to the badgers, then At Chapel Hill [home vs. IndWes] then at Hinkle, then losing to UWM to make our record 11-5...

looking back over the years...through 8 games
13-14   4-4
12-13   6-2
11-12   6-2
10-11   6-2
09-10   3-5
08-09   3-5
07-08   7-1  (as previously listed)
06-07  3-4
05-06  5-3
04-05  2-6  (the 9th game was a 13-point win over Penn State)
03-04  2-6
02-03  4-4
01-02  6-2
00-01  6-2
99-00  2-6
98-99  7-1  (Hey Oren... found another one!)   we went to 8-1 before losing to Purdue in Game #10
97-98  3-5
96-97  7-1  (Hey Oren... found another one!)  we lost Game #9 to IU-Bloomington, and won the next 7...starting 14-2
95-96  5-3  **won game #8 by Forfeit over Purdue...
94-95  4-4
93-94  5-3
92-93  2-6
91-92  3-5
90-91  2-6
89-90  0-8... we won #9 @ Florida International
88-89  2-6
87-88  5-3
86-87  5-3
85-86  3-5
84-85  2-6

valpotx

Portland State loses to Portland, and does something I remember seeing an opponent try against us while I was in school.  I don't remember the team, but our opponent was unsuccessful in stealing the ball while trying this, and our players just laughed at the guy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2289627-portland-state-player-turns-end-of-game-handshake-into-steal-and-dunk?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

Quote from: classof2014 on December 01, 2014, 02:05:03 PMCloser to 6 years than 60 (7 to be exact).  They started out the '07-08 season 10-1 before losing 4 of their next 5.

I guess my article should've said "equals the best start in program history through eight games since 1944-45." The 2007-08 team started 7-1 and this team has as well. You have to go back to 1944-45 for the last time a Valpo team had a better start through eight games.

I've apparently been confusing a lot of people lately as we got a call at The Times asking for clarification about this statement I wrote "Valparaiso has won six consecutive games away from home, a streak that has likely never been replicated in program history. The last time the Crusaders had six road wins in a row was 2002-03."

It made perfect sense to me when I wrote it. What I was trying to get across is that Valpo has currently won six games in a row away from home. Meaning all six happened consecutively. That has likely never happened before at Valpo. I suppose some seasons in the 20's or 30's it was a possibility, but records weren't kept as to where the games were held. The last time Valpo had six straight wins away from home was in 2002-03, but the Crusaders played some home games during that stretch, including a painful home overtime loss to UMKC. I was working at a radio station in Milwaukee during that night and I remember snapping multiple CD's in half I was so frustrated by an ARC Mid-Con loss.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Pgmado on December 05, 2014, 01:07:35 AM"Valparaiso has won six consecutive games away from home, a streak that has likely never been replicated in program history. The last time the Crusaders had six road wins in a row was 2002-03."
I didn't get that either, now that you mention it.  I thought a late edit got tacked on in the last sentence or something.

Thanks for the clarification...I'm thinking about it and I can't think of a way (at least not a concise one) to make the distinction clear in two sentences.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

What's funny is that someone found it important enough to call the Times office about it. lol

LaPorteAveApostle

hey it wasn't me, but i racked my brain for a good deal of time trying to parse those two sentences, and I'm the kind of guy who drops "parse" here and there.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Of course it wasn't you. Why would a board member call the paper when all they need to do is post their question here knowing they will probably get multiple responses. We need to remember that among the 3000 fans at a Valpo home game probably 2950 don't post here.

historyman

Okay, I guess this is as good a time as any to apologize for calling The Times. I was thinking that LAA would want me to be committed to excellence wouldn't he?

;D ;D ;D
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Pgmado

Absolutely no reason to apologize. I'm just happy people are reading!

talksalot

So I did have to look... and pgmado 2002-03 season is correct with 6 "Road Wins" in a row:  Iupui, Oakland, WIU, Chicago St, SUtah and UMKC...

That is also the last year we played 6 consecutive games away from the ARC was the last 6 games of that season...

W@UMKC
L@ORU
W vs Chicago State at Kansas City MidCon
W vs Western Ill at Kansas City MidCon
L vs IUPUI at Kansas City MidCon
L @ Iowa in NIT

we opened the 03-04 season with a split @ the Marquette Tournament; so we actually had 8 games in a row away from home.   We followed that with 5 home games in a row (and lost 4 of them)

bbtds

Some reference was made on the New Mexico game thread that the teams Valpo had been playing up till the New Mexico game were not nearly as good as was previously thought. I disagree with this assessment. I believe if Valpo had played on their home court as well as they played in Nashville that the UNM game would have been a lot closer. I believe the Lobos played much better than they had played against both USC and NMST. The biggest key at Nashville was Valpo's defense. The defense against the Lobos was no where near how good it was at Nashville.