• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Mascot removal -was there collusion?

Started by crusadermoe, December 07, 2018, 10:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

If no explanation is offered on this board, perhaps the student senate could take up an investigation of where our large mascot currently is living and whether or not the faculty colluded with others to have him removed.    :(

valpo64

Maybe Trump had something to do with it? 

VU2010

I understand and respect that VU is a private institution. And therefore does not have to publish salaries and such. With that said, it goes both ways. Due to being a private institution, we don't receive public funding. So, you'd think that would mean we'd stand by our heritage. But, alas, it does seem as though we are losing that heritage. If so, why not go public? If the Lutheran affiliation no longer fits the identity of the institution, then what's the point of being private? Go public. It's not as though the religion courses, for instance, are taught in the purest of ways. At least not those I took when I attended many years ago. I received very mixed messages from theology profs even back then.

So, if we are going to complain about this and that with funding, then go public. Is that possible? Has it been done before? What's the process? Way above my pay grade. With that said, being a Lutheran institution is a different conversation than what it means to be a crusader. In the broad sense, yes a Crusader can be used in a relative manner. Historically-speaking, there are specific facts at stake. Either way, choices need to be made.

And, why not be open and transparent? Salaries, facility plans, even injury reports ... all a secret. Who are we trying to kid? Are we honestly *that* place which tries to act like it's a big game of poker? Don't wanna show our cards! Poker face about everything. Meanwhile leaving fans, grads, community members, and students in the dark.

NativeCheesehead

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 07, 2018, 12:54:09 PM
There had to be a second spitter!

Haha, ohh Seinfeld!  Wish it was on Netflix, great show.

humbleopinion

I suppose none of you have just thought that it's a dinosaur in the student section.  Actually, it has been decided that we will be the Valparaiso Veloceraptors  ;)
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

So is this legit? Are they really trying to slowly/quitely trying phase out the Crusader? Or is this just a rumor?

I knew a very small group of faculty and students were pushing for it but generally you don't change historical mascot to appease a small group of people who aren't even personally offended by the mascot but they are overly worried that a unknown group of may be offended.

FWIW I talked to a former Saudi classmate during homecoming about this very topic and he laughed at the idea. He didn't understand why people wanted to change it.

vu72

OK, so instead of speculating about the demise of the Crusader and guessing as to why the big Crusader was being removed, I simply asked Mark LaBarbera about the cause and, guess what?  He answered me! 

Here is what he said:

The paint was coming off in significant amounts, was starting to look bad.  We decided to use the money for other items for the ARC (which are still in the works) instead of replacing it.

Everybody relax (I added that--not Mark)  ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

I approve of the use of funds going elsewhere  :thumbsup:

Thanks for being the one to reach out VU72

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUBBFan on December 07, 2018, 04:07:26 PMI would like to apologize for creating such a ruckus. I had asked a general question to the group of people I sit with at the games, "What happened to the big Crusader?" One person identifying themselves as a Valpo professor took credit for getting rid of the offensive symbol. Saying that they had finally got some backing from some alumni in their efforts to get rid of the Crusader mascot. That person then gave me a small lecture on the evils of the Crusaders and how offensive it is to Middle Eastern people and not seeing the Mascot for several games made me speculate on his demise.

I thought I had a credible source but evidently not. Perhaps in this professor mind they thought they had made this happen.

As a side note I believe the new uniforms for the cheer and dance teams look great.

wh

Quote from: VUBBFan on December 07, 2018, 04:07:26 PM
I would like to apologize for creating such a ruckus. I had asked a general question to the group of people I sit with at the games, "What happened to the big Crusader?" One person identifying themselves as a Valpo professor took credit for getting rid of the offensive symbol. Saying that they had finally got some backing from some alumni in their efforts to get rid of the Crusader mascot. That person then gave me a small lecture on the evils of the Crusaders and how offensive it is to Middle Eastern people and not seeing the Mascot for several games made me speculate on his demise. Perhaps in this professor mind they thought they had made this happen.

As a side note I believe the new uniforms for the cheer and dance teams look great.

So, a person claiming to be a professor tells you in very specific terms right off the top of their head that the Crusader is gone for good, explains why it is gone and who is responsible for its demise, and subsequently editorializes about the evils of the Crusaders in history. You think the person sounds credible enough to post about it, but now we're supposed to conclude that this individual must be a pathological liar because ML told '72 they got rid of Crusader for financial reasons.

IMO this doesn't pass the smell test. I think it's far more likely that the individual who told you what happened was being truthful, and that MH told ML that he wants the giant Crusader gone, but wants it done with the least amount of fanfare possible. So, knowing the thing is in need of painting they simply decide to say that a decision was made to spend the painting cost elsewhere. Of course, it's not the underlying reason, but it's not a lie either. Mission accomplished.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on December 07, 2018, 06:16:17 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on December 07, 2018, 04:07:26 PM
I would like to apologize for creating such a ruckus. I had asked a general question to the group of people I sit with at the games, "What happened to the big Crusader?" One person identifying themselves as a Valpo professor took credit for getting rid of the offensive symbol. Saying that they had finally got some backing from some alumni in their efforts to get rid of the Crusader mascot. That person then gave me a small lecture on the evils of the Crusaders and how offensive it is to Middle Eastern people and not seeing the Mascot for several games made me speculate on his demise. Perhaps in this professor mind they thought they had made this happen.

So, a person claiming to be a professor tells you in very specific terms right off the top of their head that the Crusader is gone for good, explains why it is gone and who is responsible for its demise, and subsequently editorializes about the evils of the Crusaders in history. You think the person sounds credible enough to post about it, but now we're supposed to conclude that this individual must be a pathological liar because ML told '72 they got rid of Crusader for financial reasons.

IMO this doesn't pass the smell test. I think it's far more likely that the individual who told you what happened was being truthful, and that MH told ML that he wants the giant Crusader gone, but wants it done with the least amount of fanfare possible. So, knowing the thing is in need of painting they simply decide to say that a decision was made to spend the painting cost elsewhere. Of course, it's not the underlying reason, but it's not a lie either. Mission accomplished.

I agree. If the administration really wanted to keep the big Crusader, does anyone really think the cost of repair or replacement would have stopped them? I bet they could easily have gotten dedicated donations from fans to pay for it.

crusadermoe

I believe that WH will serve well as our new Special Counsel to investigate potential collusion among the faculty, Pres, and AD.  He's got me curious.

Perhaps a foreign agent written dossier was contrived to get a FISA court permission to spy on Faculty Member 1.  Once obtained, that information may have been used to lure the AD into contact with him.  What remains to be found is whether the President colluded with the faculty member to have the giant Crusader removed from the ARC.   

78crusader

We need a new president.  And I don't mean Trump.  The guy we have presided over the decline of the law school, caused in large part by admitting too many students who had little chance of passing the bar, which led to censure by the ABA and then the closing of the school.  Probably others can also be assigned blame but he is the guy in charge and should be held accountable.  Now he is trying to change the culture of the place and placate the PC zealots - who will never be satisfied and won't stop with the mascot.  He's trying to please everyone and we all know that never works. We should embrace our Christian heritage but he seems intent on watering it down and minimizing it to the point where it is no longer recognizable. This guy is too liberal and if we're not careful VU will quickly become a Christian-in-name-only place, if it isn't already.

Paul

valpotx

I promise that if Valpo caves into the ridiculously oversensitive culture we have at the moment by changing our mascot, I will stop donating, and resign as leader of the DFW club.  A Crusader is not a racist symbol.

https://www.history.com/news/why-muslims-see-the-crusades-so-differently-from-christians
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

This is a lot of hand wringing for something we have nothing but a few whispers behind. Relax guys.

vu72

Holy overreaction Batman!  A new President?  President Heckler has done a great job and is a fine Christian(Lutheran) man.  Higher education in today's world is WAY different than when many of us were in college. Education is a moving target and if you are not willing to adapt, you will be the next St. Joes.  Sure, the law school is done, but so is the medical school (1923) and dental schools.  Things change.  What is being lost in all this is all the NEW programs being added.  Things like Logistics Management, Aviation and Environmental Engineering.  The student of today is way more flexible and demands innovation. If Valpo won't offer the new programs they are looking for they will find them elsewhere.

Now, if you think he is trying to move Valpo to a less Christian place, just watch one of his Christmas messages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jik7YYJcEoM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69I-SmKZzs
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 08, 2018, 07:26:41 AM
This is a lot of hand wringing for something we have nothing but a few whispers behind. Relax guys.

My pride isn't in a mascot, it's in a university.  Have no mascot as far as I'm concerned. 

BUT if we are talking about putting whiny liberal minded minority thinkers in place, serve be a helping of that STFU pie!!! 😉

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 08, 2018, 09:30:59 AM

My pride isn't in a mascot, it's in a university.  Have no mascot as far as I'm concerned. 

BUT if we are talking about putting whiny liberal minded minority thinkers in place, serve be a helping of that STFU pie!!! 😉

Before someone reacts to my post, my displeasure is aimed at the "professor" types that don't live in reality on such topics.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 08, 2018, 09:33:19 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on December 08, 2018, 09:30:59 AM

Before someone reacts to my post, my displeasure is aimed at the "professor" types that don't live in reality on such topics.

Here I am having a conversation with myself again 🤪.  Should have read "serve them up".  I should probably retire from this thread haha

wh

If anyone questions whether activist professors are working behind the scenes to eliminate the Crusader name and mascot, you may want to read valpopal's post from 2017:

Quote from: valpopal on March 28, 2017, 09:46:02 AM
More important than the name on the back of the uniforms, those away from campus should be aware there is a movement organized by activist faculty members to change the name of the team and the mascot, as well as the Valparaiso University logo. In this week's Torch, a letter appeared from one of the faculty after a "teach-in" by the "Compassionate Campus Faculty Learning Community" titled "Islamaphobia and the Crusader Mascot." The group has a Facebook page, "VU-FLC Creating a Compassionate Campus Series," where they have posted photos of the "teach-in" and a poll intended to create artwork for a new VU logo.

vu72

Quote from: wh on December 08, 2018, 10:02:39 AMVU-FLC Creating a Compassionate Campus Series,"

I looked at the Facebook page and nothing has been posted in almost two years.  hardly a movement, or maybe a "movement" of a different nature.

humbleopinion

I certainly enjoyed the advent vespers last night.  Of course, President Heckler participated. 

The chapel was pretty well filled, but those attending were chairback types -- not many students at all. Perhaps they should have offered t-shirts and subs to attract them.

As has been stated, times change.  Frosh are no longer required to attend morning chapel.  Lutherans are a minority among the student-body.  The services best attended are no longer on Sunday morning.
Beamin' Beacons

usc4valpo

Vespers was not well attended? You gotta be kidding me! It used to be an awesome event.